Quick terminology question

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
When i think "ripe" i think of nice things.

The term "muted" always got on my nerves. Been used as long as "steep", but unlike steep, muted means something completely different and in no way describes flavour/taste at all. But everyone uses it and everytime it comes up i cringe.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
When i think "ripe" i think of nice things.

The term "muted" always got on my nerves. Been used as long as "steep", but unlike steep, muted means something completely different and in no way describes flavour/taste at all. But everyone uses it and everytime it comes up i cringe.

Muted is more polite than blech.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I prefer steep. Sounds just right. Actually that is exactly what it is. Similar to making tea, coffee or wine (and a plethora of things actually. Even leaving curry for a day or so, is steeping).
Ripen makes me think of whether that pear lying on the kitchen top is juicy or still on the hard side :D

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I prefer steep. Sounds just right. Actually that is exactly what it is. Similar to making tea, coffee or wine (and a plethora of things actually. Even leaving curry for a day or so, is steeping).
Ripen makes me think of whether that pear lying on the kitchen top is juicy or still on the hard side :D

Yep. Plus, we already use ripe with many fruit flavors, along with sweet, candy, Wild, etc. It makes sense to say I’m using a ripened strawberry, or peanut butter is good until it mutes. Sounds weird to me to say my juice is ripe, rather than my juice is properly steeped.

• Agree
Reactions: Fredman1

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Would using the term/s "ripe", "ripen" and "ripened" be a more colourful way to describe the curing process of D.I.Y e liquids ?.

No sorry, ripe(en)(ened) doesn't do it for me any better than steep(xx) does. None of these words are IMO accurate.

I think of it as aging and that is what I talk about to someone who has never heard the term steeping used for juice.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Yep. Plus, we already use ripe with many fruit flavors, along with sweet, candy, Wild, etc. It makes sense to say I’m using a ripened strawberry, or peanut butter is good until it mutes. Sounds weird to me to say my juice is ripe, rather than my juice is properly steeped.

No sorry, ripe(en)(ened) doesn't do it for me any better than steep(xx) does. None of these words are IMO accurate.

I think of it as aging and that is what I talk about to someone who has never heard the term steeping used for juice.

And what would you call juice which is old and over steeped, oxidized and peppery ?.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
And what would you call juice which is old and over steeped, oxidized and peppery ?.

Over aged, because for that juice it was aged too long.

Keep in mind too that aging is not always good for a juice. I mix mine for immediate use so they are pretty good for me from the get go. A few get slightly better with some age, a few get slightly worse. I don't mix enough at a time for the nic to ever degrade and become more peppery so I don't have to worry about that. I can say that my nic doesn't do that in six months at room temperature so that would take a very long aging process for me.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
"Steep" is an old Scots word meaning to soak; that said it's not one of my favourites as it has unfortunate connotations for me ( and I suspect others of my vintage who were kids back in the early 1950s )

Friday night was bath night back in those days, and by 8.00pm in our living room, in front of the fire with the radio playing a concert on the Home Service would be found my parents - faither with his troosers rolled up to his knees displaying his white legs with suspender marks round the calves and his feet in a basin of hot water and mither sat opposite in her dressing goon and nightie also with her feet in a basin of hot water - they were "steeping their feet" so that they could cut their toenails. Beside them in glasses on their side tables sat their "wallies" ( false teeth) also steeping in dilute beach solution.

I think I prefer the word ageing or maturing even soaking to "steeping"!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread