The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Random DIY mixing and More

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by FranC, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    The TFA Plum is good mixed with tobacco. Haven't used it in anything else yet.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I'm hoping between the FA & INW I'll come close enough, may need a slight boost from FA forest fruit. VTA does have a blood plum but suspect it won't be carried by vendors here in the US.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatcha making?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    With the plums? Nothing yet, haven't tested them. Wanting to mix a Mr. Miyagi clone and probably a apricot & plum tart.

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Sounds interesting

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Lunatic ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    One more question - what would be the steeping time on my mix?
    minticecream5.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    We'll see, I'm not good with pie crusts. Just been using FA apple pie for crust. Tried using Fa pie crust with various ingredients and not crazy about the results.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I don't see any reason that calls for a long steep. 2-3 days maybe?

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I don't know anything about mixing with menthol but the rest should be good in two weeks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    menthol is a shake and vape.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  11. NatashaTMT

NatashaTMT Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    I’d say 1 - 2 weeks:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. NatashaTMT

NatashaTMT Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    @AngeNZ Try it fresh, then along the way. Maybe 1 day, 3 days, 1 wk, 2... until you find your preference.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I have some creams that are good in a day or two but so much better with a steep.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    @AngeNZ If it's your only mix than just go ahead a vape it. You can make note of how it changes with ageing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    How long does it take to clean up? :lol:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Lunatic ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    OK sweet - I'm gonna do 2 15ml batches - one can be a tester, the other a steeper.

Thank you :thumbs:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  17. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    That is a LOT of menthol. I think you would be happier with your mint ice cream if you used 2% Creme de Menthe (TFA), 1-2% 10% Menthol Solution, and 1% Koolada or .75% WS-23.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    What do you want to know about grapefruit? My favorites are a mix of Pink Guava, FW Ruby Red, and INW White.

GRAPEFRUIT

CAPELLA
    • Grapefruit
      This is the weakest and the sweetest of the grapefruit flavors I tested. The big plus is that the sour flavor imparts the perception of a mild effervescence and a slightly tangy mouthfeel. That alone could make this grapefruit flavor a good addition to a grapefruit mix. Stronger flavors are needed for a full flavor but the perception of effervescence is a plus. The sweetness helps to give this a fuller bodied mouthfeel.
    Wayne says, “This is the more "candied" version of the grapefruits. There's not much of that bitter flavoring, but it makes up for it in its sweetness. It's also a bit more bodied than FA and INW's grapefruits, meaning it can hold up a bit better to heavier recipes than the
    others. That being said, it's still quite light. But its presence, sweetness, and easier blending makes this my go to choice if I need to add
    some grapefruit accents into a mix, or if I want a full bodied grapefruit main profile that leans on the candy side. It holds itself better,
    imbues its grapefruit-like flavor, and boosts the sweetness of any citrus or light fruit recipes you'd mix. I generally like to use this
    ingredient in these situations at around 5 - 6%, but if you're using it as a main, feel free to take a bit higher.”

FLAVORAH
    • Pink Guava
      The only flavor I pick up is a bright delicious grapefruit. It is tart and fresh – luscious even! This is a delicious, slightly sweet fresh grapefruit. Some say they pick up lychee, pineapple, even strawberry but I tasted delicious sweet, not sour grapefruit. WONDERFUL!!!! This captures the pleasantly bitter flavor of the grapefruit, plus a whole lot of flavor. It is also juicy, a bonus in a grapefruit mix, with a full-bodied mouth feel.
    RunDastardly says, “a juicy, ripe, idealized pink grapefruit that has it's own yummy wetness akin to INW Cactus (though it plays very
    well with Cactus at low % too!). It has something "extra" to it, but that adds to, rather than detracts from, it's grapefruitiness. Strong as
    hell. Excellent stand-alone, but also works beautifully with any number of other fruits, especially other citrus & juicy tropical fruits like
    mango and pineapple.”

FLAVOUR ART
    • Grapefruit
      Authentic, natural grapefruit, light, tart, and a little bitter. It is thin, so doesn’t give any mouth feel but the flavor is spot on natural grapefruit
    Wayne’s Notes: “This is the more authentic grapefruit of the bunch. It has such a natural quality about it, and this makes the flavoring
    an easy choice if you need an unadulterated grapefruit flavor. So for main profiles, this is usually what I enjoy using if I want a true to
    life grapefruit flavor. It's a light flavoring (this is a pattern you'll see in all of these ingredients) so using at 3-4% is not uncommon.
    But it's refreshing, slightly tart and bitter, a bit more sweet than you'd think, and light on body. Lastly, it's best used in more simple
    recipes when acting as a main profile. It really shines when it's not crowded with other fruits distracting from its subtle accents. Keep
    things simple and light, and you'll be just fine.”

FLAVOR WEST
    • Ruby Red Grapefruit
      Nice red grapefruit flavor. A little sweeter than Flavorah Pink Guava, and I honestly get more of a lush grapefruit aroma from Flavorah’s Pink Guava. This is really nice and if I had never tried Pink Guava, I would probably think this was the queen of grapefruit flavors. In a grapefruit blend, this flavor has its place. It has a sweet, tart balance and does taste like a real grapefruit. This is the sweet body of the grapefruit. For a grapefruit vape, use Pink Guava, Ruby Red, and White Grapefruit for a complete grapefruit flavor. This does impart some full-bodied mouthfeel as it is not as thin as INW and FA.
    ConcreteRiver says “Good, straight-forward, ruby red grapefruit juice. It's sweet, a little tart, and right on target. This is what I'd pick
    up if I were to pick up just one grapefruit concentrate. I think this one blends the easiest with other fruit flavors and creams.”

INAWERA
    • White Grapefruit
      An authentic grapefruit flavor. This one has the zest. This one has the grapefruit juice flavor, for me. This is heavy on the bitter zest. There is some light sweetness here. It tastes like a white grapefruit, similar in taste to a ruby red. Perfect for adding a zest note to any fruit. This would be great with cranberry. Citric, bright, and tart. Thin in mouthfeel.
    RunDastardly says, “A drier version of INW Grapefruit with much more peel. If INW Grapefruit is the pulp & juice, this is the zest. 0.25%
    or less adds a nice "twist" essence to a cocktail.” Wayne’s Notes: “This grapefruit is the lightest of the bunch (CAP, FA, & INW). But it
    packs the most tartness, bitterness, and citrus. So in situations where I want to boost the citrus in a recipe, boost its sour flavor, or add
    some interesting dimension, I'll reach for this ingredient. This is because its flavor profile often gets a bit too hidden in recipes that have
    any kind of weight to it, but the tartness and citrus remain. It's of the "white" grapefruit variety meaning there's this refreshing, almost
    water-like, flavor to it in the top end. This can be further pushed by a touch of FA Cucumber. And when using as an accent or
    "enhancer", I like to sit around 0.5 - 1.5%.”

• Yellow Grapefruit
      This is an actual authentic grapefruit flavor. It is lightly sweet. This is the zest of the grapefruit, bright, citric, tart and somewhat bitter. I honestly don’t taste a lot of difference between this and the white, so consider them interchangeable in a recipe, though not as a stand-alone flavor. This flavor seems to be weaker than the White Grapefruit. Thin in mouthfeel.

• Informative x 3
    • Useful x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I don't think you will need the steep. There is nothing in your ingredient list that benefits from a steep really. If you take my advice and use TFA Creme de Menthe, you might want to leave the cap off for a couple of hours for a small batch for the alcohol to evaporate.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Good idea:)

• Agree Agree x 4