Random DIY mixing and More

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Guess I am on the fence when it comes to simple vs complex mixes. Admittedly I look at some of these complex mixes and wonder how the hell did they come up with that. Was it through experience or did they just throw everything into a beaker and by fluke came up with something that was enjoyable (subjective of course)

Have tried a few, many I did not like, but there has been the odd surprise that I did enjoy. Even tried modifying some of the more complex ones that I enjoyed and found that my applied changes, be it adding a flavour, minus a flavour or adjusting percentages have resulted in a noticeable change.

I always draw a correlation to mixing cocktails (given I have some experience with that). There are a lot of simple cocktails that are very enjoyable, and there are some very complex ones as well. A Ramous Gin Fizz is considered a complex cocktail and it can not be simplified. I’ve tried!!

FTR, the most complex cocktail is the Commonwealth – 71 ingredients. Never tried one!

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Bronuts is by Wayne Walker, he is also ENYAWREKLAW otherwise known as DIYorDIE
I knew he made the original but wasn't sure if the recipe in the blog was his or someone else's version.

I watched a video of his a few weeks ago in which he was revisiting popular mixes from a while back. He thought his Bronuts held up less well than any of the others. It gave him a chuckle.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Now that would be tricky one to make into a DIY juice.

Up for the challenge? The objective behind the cocktail was to include an ingredient from every country that participated in the 2014 Commonwealth games. I am positive certain flavours are masked by others but open that many will interpret this differently.

Obviously we can’t find DIY flavourings from 71 different countries, but we might find those 71 individual flavours. Google the cocktail if interested.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Guess I am on the fence when it comes to simple vs complex mixes. Admittedly I look at some of these complex mixes and wonder how the hell did they come up with that. Was it through experience or did they just throw everything into a beaker and by fluke came up with something that was enjoyable (subjective of course)

Have tried a few, many I did not like, but there has been the odd surprise that I did enjoy. Even tried modifying some of the more complex ones that I enjoyed and found that my applied changes, be it adding a flavour, minus a flavour or adjusting percentages have resulted in a noticeable change.

I always draw a correlation to mixing cocktails (given I have some experience with that). There are a lot of simple cocktails that are very enjoyable, and there are some very complex ones as well. A Ramous Gin Fizz is considered a complex cocktail and it can not be simplified. I’ve tried!!

FTR, the most complex cocktail is the Commonwealth – 71 ingredients. Never tried one!
That is one gimmicky cocktail: "71 different ingredients sourced from every Commonwealth nation." I mean, okra? Come on.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
That is one gimmicky cocktail: "71 different ingredients sourced from every Commonwealth nation." I mean, okra? Come on.

It was to promote the Commonwealth games. The cocktail would cost a bar a small fortune, not just ingredient wise, but also preparation. Gimmick? Sure, I would agree to that, but it had an objective that was to include a single ingredient from 71 countries. And with that objective it has held the record as the most complex cocktail.

One may be a cocktail enthusiast, but can almost guarantee you will never find this on a bar list.

I brought it up more for displaying the extremes than anything else.

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire

How long does that take to mix?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    How long does that take to mix?

You inquiring about the Commonwealth cocktail? I have no idea! There is prep, then measuring and mixing (it would require a good shake). I would guess during the Commonwealth, much of this cocktail was pre made, and even then it would take longer than normal to mix.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    You inquiring about the Commonwealth cocktail? I have no idea! There is prep, then measuring and mixing (it would require a good shake). I would guess during the Commonwealth, much of this cocktail was pre made, and even then it would take longer than normal to mix.
    71 ingredients is just a wow. Kind of mind boggling.

• Agree
    Reactions: NolaMel

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I've watched a few of his vids. Didn't think much of them one way or the other except for one he did about what makes a good recipe. He basically stated the obvious...the best recipes are the ones you like. Doesn't matter if it's a single flavor or 10 flavors. But what he was really promoting was simplicity with recipes. That if you have 12, 13, 14, 15 flavors in your recipes you're probably off course. I think there are some out there who are wannabe chefs or something so they come up with these ridiculous, complex recipes with 15 flavors as if they have some secret talent. I have a hard time believing anyone knows what they're doing when they have a dozen flavors in their recipe. Just my opinion.

One of my biggest(most expensive) mixing mistake was when I found a recipe that had either 10 or 12 flavors and I only had one or two and ordered everything else. Some were FLV flavors. I got all the flavors, mixed it, steeped, and didn't like it at all. I'm with you folks here. Seven is about the limit on flavors in a recipe.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    71 ingredients is just a wow. Kind of mind boggling.

It is mind boggling. To incorporate that many flavours and not come up with a soup of mess does display a level of knowledge in what the mixologist is doing. And to note, the cocktail came out pleasing to the eye as well - which is extremely important when making cocktails.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    One of my biggest(most expensive) mixing mistake was when I found a recipe that had either 10 or 12 flavors and I only had one or two and ordered everything else. Some were FLV flavors. I got all the flavors, mixed it, steeped, and didn't like it at all. I'm with you folks here. Seven is about the limit on flavors in a recipe.
    Live n learn, huh?

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I like my Zenith and my 4 ml Zlide for good taste in a drop in. I am running 3 regular pv’s. One holds my carto tank always,one is for my NET and one is for my Cheesecake. No room for vaping another flavor. As much as I hate to I’ll have to fire another pv and tank so I can vape some of my other flavors. I have 2 AIO out that need new coils .They do have good taste but not as good as the Z’s. My tiny Minifit gets whatever cheesecake I have out. Stuck in a rut but nothing I want to change so I’ll have to add I guess.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Obviously we can’t find DIY flavourings from 71 different countries, but we might find those 71 individual flavours. Google the cocktail if interested.
    I will ("curiosity got the cat"... I'm a Leo so that totally applies) At least it's a better idea than my "Vaping Thanksgiving Dinner" thread LOL Glad i baile out on that one, especially after watching this:

You never know where this thread will go.

Reactions: DavidOck

Users who are viewing this thread