Random DIY mixing and More

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Cold, PG, patience.
I've been giving that some thought for a while, but been too busy to think about going at it. I'd have to research what tobaccos to try, out of the thousands out there, to begin with. Then there's the process. Read some of the threads, but when I went to look for the tobaccos, I just kind of faded on that task.

One day.

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    OK, I'm taking a bit of a leap with my Chocolate NET project. I've tried and failed on too many recipes and am beginning to think what I want doesn't exist the way I am making them (using NET extract and adding bottled chocolates). After putting some puzzle pieces together (that shall remain undisclosed) I decided to extract my own chocolate NETs. I ordered a handful of different chocolate tobaccos today and will begin the extraction process next week. Maybe they'll be fine as is or maybe they will need minor enhancement from bottled stuff. Either way, I need to get in a different orbit. Tinkering around the edges aint gettin' it done. Update in 3 months (God willing). :)
    Good luck. Fingers crossed :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I've been giving that some thought for a while, but been too busy to think about going at it. I'd have to research what tobaccos to try, out of the thousands out there, to begin with. Then there's the process. Read some of the threads, but when I went to look for the tobaccos, I just kind of faded on that task.

One day.
    Well, that's the thing. Soooo many tobaccos out there. It's endless. The process of making them is easy. Nothing to it. Patience is the most important part of the process. I'm relegating myself to a handful of chocolate tobaccos (plus one Kentucky fire cured). It can easily get out of hand and I need to focus on one small category of extractions given my current load of projects. I don't need to burden myself with an extraction enterprise.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Well, that's the thing. Soooo many tobaccos out there. It's endless. The process of making them is easy. Nothing to it. Patience is the most important part of the process. I'm relegating myself to a handful of chocolate tobaccos (plus one Kentucky fire cured). It can easily get out of hand and I need to focus on one small category of extractions given my current load of projects. I don't need to burden myself with an extraction enterprise.
    Not what I was wanting to hear. Kinda thought you'd do all the work, narrow down the best all 'round straight tobaccos, then I could just copy you. ;)

No, seriously, I'm going to one day. I'll have to find the threads that were really good, find the correct filters, decide if I want to use a press, get my containers together, then hopefully find good recommendations on tobaccos. It'll be fun, when I have time. Meantime, I still love my Styxx Mixx, but Ty may not be around forever.

*RJ*

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 28, 2015
    Vaping since 8/9/2012
    Not what I was wanting to hear. Kinda thought you'd do all the work, narrow down the best all 'round straight tobaccos, then I could just copy you. ;)

No, seriously, I'm going to one day. I'll have to find the threads that were really good, find the correct filters, decide if I want to use a press, get my containers together, then hopefully find good recommendations on tobaccos. It'll be fun, when I have time. Meantime, I still love my Styxx Mixx, but Ty may not be around forever.
    @PapawBrett has an entire thread about extracting tobaccos.

Thoughts on Beginning to Extract Tobacco Flavors

Does he have another thread as well?

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    @PapawBrett has an entire thread about extracting tobaccos.

Thoughts on Beginning to Extract Tobacco Flavors

Does he have another thread as well?
    Thanks for reminding me- yes, his was one. I've saved that link now. I think other methods were covered by str8vision or someone, and I went thru others. I believe his was ethanol, or heat extraction, though. Some good info, but I'll probably go with the slow and easy pg method.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    All that is way out of my area of expertise.
    Yes, but none of us have expertise until we do it. :)
    Once upon a time, you might've said the same thing about vaping, building, mixing, etc.
    But unless you're really into tobacco, doing it probably isn't worth it.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012

Extraction is very simple. It truly is. The hardest part is what you brought up. The selection process. The actual extraction process is nothing. But weeding thru all the offerings can be overwhelming. If I’m you I would limit yourself to working on one category at a time. For example, say, orientals. That alone is gigantic but not near as bad as the entire menu. Pick a half dozen orientals and see what works and what doesn’t. Read the reviews to get an idea. Find one or two and then move on to the next category. I wouldn’t get too wrapped up in the extraction process itself. A cheap french press, a few mason jars, and some filters (2 micron, 5 micron, and some standard coffee filters). Done. And don’t get too wrapped up in trying to take in too many opinions. KISS method. :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    This isn’t my house and nothing I want to try to get into here.
    Plus I have a small room. Not much storage room left.
    Hopefully I can just beg some off you guys.
    Right now I have enough Stixx to last a long time.
    Stixx remains a perfectly fine source. He makes excellent extracts and enough variety to please anyone. Ty will continue to supply me for the foreseeable future. I’m very narrowed in for the extracts I’m doing.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Stixx remains a perfectly fine source. He makes excellent extracts and enough variety to please anyone. Ty will continue to supply me for the foreseeable future. I’m very narrowed in for the extracts I’m doing.
    So far it’s Honduran Ligero, Dark Fire and Perique. Still have 4 I haven’t tried.

Reactions: Bronze

DLKnives

Retired Knifemaker
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 25, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Hello DIY Crew! Looks like I am joining you in the next week - I am putting together my first order for everything I need but am just unsure where to get it from. I started a thread over in General E-Liquid and they have given me lots of good ideas.

Looking forward to having fun mixing my own!

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Hello DIY Crew! Looks like I am joining you in the next week - I am putting together my first order for everything I need but am just unsure where to get it from. I started a thread over in General E-Liquid and they have given me lots of good ideas.

Mixing by weight you will need a scale. You’ll also need nic,pg and vg. Lots of bottles is good. I like to keep a few syringes on hand. I buy the majority of my flavors from BullCityFlavors. I’ll let the other folks chime in on what I missed

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire

Also, a big Welcome to the random DIY thread.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm rather proud of myself for finally going through the box that contained my last four flavor orders and got them all put away and updated and printed my new flavor list.
    Wow, I’m proud of you too.:) Someday I hope to get that done.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    The next thing is to start going through my stash and doing an inventory. I’m rethinking the storage bins I bought. They would be ok for the really old stuff but it would be nice to have a better storage solution for the newer stuff I’d choose to use first.

Users who are viewing this thread