Random DIY mixing and More

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I find MTS adds more body to a vape; but with the cost of more in high notes. Smooth is a bit more discriminatory for the overall profile; but lacks some of the thickness.

Both stomp on flavors.

I find MTS best for tobacco profiles (where brightness isn't a priority to start). Smooth is a bit more selective, but without the mouthfeel boost. I also don't consider either; unless all other tweaks fall short.
    As always; your mileage may vary. :)
    Early on in my DIY adventure I bought most the all tart and sour additives. I didn't like the effect of any of them. I bought vape wizard at some point and didn't care for that either. Why I bought Smooth is a total mystery to me. I do have hopes for Amber but haven't tried it yet so who knows.....LOL. I did buy FA Oakwood also. Have some hopes for that one.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    @PJReid Thank for finally getting the importance of flavor testers through my head. I do really hate doing them though. With my tastes it really makes sense. Will save me from so many fail mixes hopefully.It's an easier way to get the taste of a flavor .

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I use a little sour in my menthol tobacco mix and used sweet and tart in a lemonade recipe I used to use. I actually like the taste of sweet and tart.
    I've never been able to use any of them. They taste to me like they don't blend into the juice so I'm still tasting all the sweetness of my mix and the sour is like a separate taste. Yes,I have in the past tried long steeps with the stuff. Gave up on it long ago and looked for other ways to lessen sweetness.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I've never been able to use any of them. They taste to me like they don't blend into the juice so I'm still tasting all the sweetness of my mix and the sour is like a separate taste. Yes,I have in the past tried long steeps with the stuff. Gave up on it long ago and looked for other ways to lessen sweetness.

Until recently, I had always mixed pretty high flavor percentages and was almost always shake and vape or if I was lucky one would sit overnight. Right now I think I have over 30 single flavor testers steeping. I'm looking forward to trying the two HS tobacco flavors you suggested. It's been nine days steeping already. I think part of the trick to steeping is to constantly have something else ready to try to distract me from wanting to try the ones that need more time. This thread has really helped me expand my thoughts on mixing and try some flavors that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I have smooth but haven't used it yet. I DO like MTS a lot as an additive (especially for mouthfeel and that slight, smoky aftertaste, but I wouldn't use it in everything, all though I do use it in many things. Want to try a couple comparison smooth to MTS in my next batch of mixes.

I also need some SMALLER bottles. LOL.

Anna

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Until recently, I had always mixed pretty high flavor percentages and was almost always shake and vape or if I was lucky one would sit overnight. Right now I think I have over 30 single flavor testers steeping. I'm looking forward to trying the two HS tobacco flavors you suggested. It's been nine days steeping already. I think part of the trick to steeping is to constantly have something else ready to try to distract me from wanting to try the ones that need more time. This thread has really helped me expand my thoughts on mixing and try some flavors that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.
    Glad to hear that:)

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    For me personally, I have to say, I have never paid any attention to color (as it relates to flavor). Taste is taste, and color is color; and I have found little to no relation between the two. As always; I respect those with different perceptions. :)

It's just a thing. I can't say I've ever tasted it in the strawberry but I figure something is oxidizing.
    When something hits a color change I figure it is what it is at that point and anything else will be fading.

I got the testers of Amber and Smoked plum mixed. Sure hope the Smoked Plum tastes better than it smells.

I have too many testers now and I'm giving up on trying them fresh. I don't see it as any big importance.

Smoked Plum has a lot of changes. My tester has almost no floral smells to it now. They were strong when fresh.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    There's been plenty of talk about storage and organizing flavors but I'm wondering if people also have a system for storing steeping recipes? Do you put them in date order or something like that?

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    There's been plenty of talk about storage and organizing flavors but I'm wondering if people also have a system for storing steeping recipes? Do you put them in date order or something like that?

Steeping recipes, no. I have that side of my desk, most used here, less used or repeats of the most used there (that's where fresh mixed goes). Sometimes I shake the ones there. By the time I get a bottle from there it's had plenty of aging.

Steeping tasters, sort of. I have them on this side of my desk. I shake and sniff them often. Taste them when I feel like it. If they're expected to need a lot of steeping I make note of the date in EJC or on the label so I know how much they end up needing.

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    Some are screenshots in an album on my phone, others are printed and put in a binder. ADVs at the front, then tried and true, want to try, and at the end, ones I don’t have the flavors for yet. In other words, organized chaos :blink:. I don’t name my mixes, I put the ml amounts on a label and tape it down. Date it, leaves room for notes

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    Uh, on a bookshelf, out of direct light. So I remember to shake them now and then... :facepalm:
    The shelves in my shoe/purse closet are for vape and juice goodies. I shake them am and pm when I get out/put up my shoes. It all needs to be reorganized. Lots to PIF. Just need to make myself DO it

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Some are screenshots in an album on my phone, others are printed and put in a binder. ADVs at the front, then tried and true, want to try, and at the end, ones I don’t have the flavors for yet. In other words, organized chaos :blink:. I don’t name my mixes, I put the ml amounts on a label and tape it down. Date it, leaves room for notes

I've been taping labels onto the single flavor testers with a date and percentage but so far I've done several at a time and just put them in a baggie. I really need to get my flavors and my mixes organized.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I've been taping labels onto the single flavor testers with a date and percentage but so far I've done several at a time and just put them in a baggie. I really need to get my flavors and my mixes organized.

Masking tape, the labels of champions. My fine wine/mead, masking tape labels.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I have a regular sized note book that you can pick up at walmart for a dollar or two. The kind that kids use in school. Since it is a running 'log' of my mixes the date is the key for these. I just add one after the other leaving a little room for notes and changes I have made along the way. I also put the date on the label of the bottle and when they are ready for a larger volume is when they can go on cards, or a computer, where ever you wish to keep them. Also each finished bottle has the date born, the mg, a name or combo of flavors listed and these are stored alphabetically by name. If I have room on the label I also list the pct of each flavor so if there are only a few ingredients, I usually don't even have to go get the recipe.

This is just how I do it....others probably have a much better system.

:)

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    It's just a thing. I can't say I've ever tasted it in the strawberry but I figure something is oxidizing.
    When something hits a color change I figure it is what it is at that point and anything else will be fading.

Smoked Plum has a lot of changes. My tester has almost no floral smells to it now. They were strong when fresh.
    Strawberry when finished changing(fully steeped) will be yellow or a golden color.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread