Random DIY mixing and More

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I mean it last for 1-2 puffs. I got a lot more puffs per drip with the gennie. Lower power, MTL and probably harder to get the liquid out of the mesh wick than just being soaked into a coil.

It just took a hard twist to get it broke free. The insides were nasty looking.
    I didn't even try the W. I would've had to modify the air hole and fix the too tight of a cap problem. I may do that in the future but this was spur of the moment.

Dripping for flavor testing isn't as bad as dripping for vaping. You're set up for a purpose not trying to do all that while doing other stuff.

I can easily see an Inawera flavor taking over other brands at 3%.

If you really do mean 30mg nicotine that could be harsh depending on the nicotine.

I'm not a fan of TFA mango enough that it has scared me off other mangos. I can imagine that being the source of bitter if the company you got included unripe rind in their flavor profile.

I'm liking the Zeus dual I got yesterday. I only did a single coil but it was pretty easy to biuld. I've heard don't fill the liquid feed holes with too much wick (deep or packed) or it cuts off the flow. I only have one build on it but I've lived by that rule and experienced the problem with Themis.
    I will drop the INW %

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I'm using cotton. Yes sorry I meant 3mg. I'm using the steam engine calculator.

So start with more cotton? I'm getting ready to build the zeus in a few. More cotton with it also? I'm cutting strips and making sure there's not too much tension while pulling it thru the coil.
    Actually you want some tension, just enough to barely move the coil. The wick needs to be touching the entire inner diameter of the coil. Leave a shoulder at each end of the coil and thin the tails a bit.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA

It looks like you may have pulled the wick away from the end coils,
    pulled wick.jpg

that could cause some burnt harshness. If so you can probably push some back into them while the wick is wet. I push it back into them and kind of fluff up the top to negate any tug I had getting it into the holes before priming.

jkbobell

Jul 2, 2018
    It looks like you may have pulled the wick away from the end coils,
    View attachment 754165
    that could cause some burnt harshness. If so you can probably push some back into them while the wick is wet. I push it back into them and kind of fluff up the top to negate any tug I had getting it into the holes before priming.

Thanks. Like I said I'm getting ready to build the zeus and I'll work on the wicking this time.

jkbobell

Jul 2, 2018
    Actually you want some tension, just enough to barely move the coil. The wick needs to be touching the entire inner diameter of the coil. Leave a shoulder at each end of the coil and thin the tails a bit.

I'll see if I can get it better with the zeus.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Wrapping coils is the easy part, wicking has a bit of a learning curve. Don't get frustrated, just shrug and do it over until you hit the sweet spot. When learning to build and wick if you tweak only tweak one factor at a time otherwise you won't know what actually worked. BTW each rta has a different sweet spot.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    Put a couple ml of Cappuccino in a Subtank.
    It might have coffee build in the wick enough but right off I'm thinking another 1% still. It's right on the edge of being a nice mellow coffee and not having enough. Definitely beats Caramel Cappuccino on the creamy and caramel.

Almost put Espresso in first. Then I figured that will probably coffee up the wick forever. Best to start low. Tiramisu next. Espresso last.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Put a couple ml of Cappuccino in a Subtank.
    It might have coffee build in the wick enough but right off I'm thinking another 1% still. It's right on the edge of being a nice mellow coffee and not having enough. Definitely beats Caramel Cappuccino on the creamy and caramel.

Almost put Espresso in first. Then I figured that will probably coffee up the wick forever. Best to start low. Tiramisu next. Espresso last.
    I'm liking VTA coffee liqueur. The coffe is up front with a nice caramel/vanilla note and a liqueur exhale. It is a bit sweet, I have a mix with cream steeping. Also trying it with Pur caramel coffee w/ sweet milk to boost the coffee.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA

Something else, the coils look pretty shiny, did you pulse them to glow (not bright, just a dull glow is good enough) to get the hot spots out? You have to pulse and strum claptons to stop the power jumping through the wrap. It's not as bad with spaced single claptons but hot spots still can happen.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I'm liking VTA coffee liqueur. The coffe is up front with a nice caramel/vanilla note and a liqueur exhale. It is a bit sweet, I have a mix with cream steeping. Also trying it with Pur caramel coffee w/ sweet milk to boost the coffee.

This is sweet enough to not make me think of sweetener. I made the TFA without sweetener to add later but I'm not sure it can work without it from what I'm remembering, I have it at 2% in my old recipe.

I was tempted by Kahlua flavors. I drank a lot of instant coffee and everclear (cheap homemade kahlua) in college because beer did not play nice with my guts until I started homebrewing.

jkbobell

Jul 2, 2018
    Something else, the coils look pretty shiny, did you pulse them to glow (not bright, just a dull glow is good enough) to get the hot spots out? You have to pulse and strum claptons to stop the power jumping through the wrap. It's not as bad with spaced single claptons but hot spots still can happen.

You know I don't think I did with that build but I usually do. I didn't remember until I had the wick primed and I didn't want to start over with the wick lol.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    You know I don't think I did with that build but I usually do. I didn't remember until I had the wick primed and I didn't want to start over with the wick lol.

I just went through that bad last night setting up a dripper to taste new flavors with alien touching. It was a light show with hot spots jumping around the first pulse. I found out RX200 will kick you out of temperature mode if the coil isn't acting right.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I FINALLY got all my flavors organized in the 2 cases now. I was surprised by a few flavors I had that I didn’t have in my Flavor Stash. I used the list to organize the flavors. Figured it would be easier to check and see what and how much I have if it’s set up in same order. I used empty 10mls bottles as place holders for flavors in large bottles in my fridge that I’ll transfer to the smaller bottles next mix session. That way all the flavors will be in cases, easy to find and easier to work with.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I FINALLY got all my flavors organized in the 2 cases now. I was surprised by a few flavors I had that I didn’t have in my Flavor Stash. I used the list to organize the flavors. Figured it would be easier to check and see what and how much I have if it’s set up in same order. I used empty 10mls bottles as place holders for flavors in large bottles in my fridge that I’ll transfer to the smaller bottles next mix session. That way all the flavors will be in cases, easy to find and easier to work with.

Ejuice Calculator can track inventory and warn you when running low. I never remember to click that button as I mix.

Sometimes I go through and measure and update. Then the next time I forget to push the button. I've given up.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    This is sweet enough to not make me think of sweetener. I made the TFA without sweetener to add later but I'm not sure it can work without it from what I'm remembering, I have it at 2% in my old recipe.

I was tempted by Kahlua flavors. I drank a lot of instant coffee and everclear (cheap homemade kahlua) in college because beer did not play nice with my guts until I started homebrewing.
    Homemade Kahlua was my annual christmas gift to everyone back in the day.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Ejuice Calculator can track inventory and warn you when running low. I never remember to click that button as I mix.

Sometimes I go through and measure and update. Then the next time I forget to push the button. I've given up.
    Me too, can't figure how to make it auto adjust mls used. I did finally put a list of the overflow stash in the fridge on my computer.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I'm using the augvape intake and also receiving the zeus dual rta today also. Right now I'm using a clapton spaced coil at .55 and 35 watts. But that's a whole new thing I'm trying to figure out with different coils and whatnot. It seems that a clapton spaced or straight coil spaced seems to work better to me anyways. I bought a bottle of premix yesterday and no matter what wattage it couldn't get it to work cause of the spitting and having a mouth full of juice. It was a 70/30.

Sorry, didn't mean to be all over the place but I'm still new to this but am slowly getting the hang and balance of all of this.

The brands of flavors are TFA.
    I’ve got the intake rta. I’m running a 26/32 Clapton stainless steel coil at .43 ohms and I like it at around 27 watts with the airflow open. You could be getting spit back if you don’t have enough cotton and the deck is flooded.
    Or you could try turning up the watts so the ejuice is heated quicker and does not leave any sitting on top of the coil to spit back. If you get a slightly burnt taste then its not enough cotton and hittmans answer is the correct one.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread