Random DIY mixing and More

jkbobell

Jul 2, 2018
I'm new to the mixing and have a few questions. I have a couple of premixes that I like so I bought a few flavors at bull city to at least get it into the same basic flavors. I made a very small mix, 10ml, and it was not all that great. I used low percentages but it was harsh and bitter.

The mix was 3% dragon fruit and 1% mango at 80/20 3% nicotine. I let it steep for a week.

I have some more flavors to be delivered today and was wondering what could be possibly going on that it's so harsh and bitter?

I'm going to try and do a real simple mix today, probably cantaloupe, honeydew and cucumber. The premix that I like says it's honeydew and cucumber so I'm trying to at least get it close or maybe something I like better.

Any suggestions? I searched at e-liquids-recipies and really didn't come up with with much searching of "melon"

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm new to the mixing and have a few questions. I have a couple of premixes that I like so I bought a few flavors at bull city to at least get it into the same basic flavors. I made a very small mix, 10ml, and it was not all that great. I used low percentages but it was harsh and bitter.

The mix was 3% dragon fruit and 1% mango at 80/20 3% nicotine. I let it steep for a week.

I have some more flavors to be delivered today and was wondering what could be possibly going on that it's so harsh and bitter?

I'm going to try and do a real simple mix today, probably cantaloupe, honeydew and cucumber. The premix that I like says it's honeydew and cucumber so I'm trying to at least get it close or maybe something I like better.

Any suggestions? I searched at e-liquids-recipies and really didn't come up with with much searching of "melon"
    What tank and pv are you using and at what power level?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL

Please post the brands of the flavors you are asking about, makes a huge difference.

jkbobell

Jul 2, 2018
    I'm using the augvape intake and also receiving the zeus dual rta today also. Right now I'm using a clapton spaced coil at .55 and 35 watts. But that's a whole new thing I'm trying to figure out with different coils and whatnot. It seems that a clapton spaced or straight coil spaced seems to work better to me anyways. I bought a bottle of premix yesterday and no matter what wattage it couldn't get it to work cause of the spitting and having a mouth full of juice. It was a 70/30.

Sorry, didn't mean to be all over the place but I'm still new to this but am slowly getting the hang and balance of all of this.

The brands of flavors are TFA.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I’ve got the intake rta. I’m running a 26/32 Clapton stainless steel coil at .43 ohms and I like it at around 27 watts with the airflow open. You could be getting spit back if you don’t have enough cotton and the deck is flooded.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm using the augvape intake and also receiving the zeus dual rta today also. Right now I'm using a clapton spaced coil at .55 and 35 watts. But that's a whole new thing I'm trying to figure out with different coils and whatnot. It seems that a clapton spaced or straight coil spaced seems to work better to me anyways. I bought a bottle of premix yesterday and no matter what wattage it couldn't get it to work cause of the spitting and having a mouth full of juice. It was a 70/30.

Sorry, didn't mean to be all over the place but I'm still new to this but am slowly getting the hang and balance of all of this.

The brands of flavors are TFA.
    Build a coil at least 1.0 and try your vape around 8w.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I’ve got the intake rta. I’m running a 26/32 Clapton stainless steel coil at .43 ohms and I like it at around 27 watts with the airflow open. You could be getting spit back if you don’t have enough cotton and the deck is flooded.
    New vaper,Hitt. He may want to keep it low for awhile. Until he gets used to his vape.

jkbobell

Jul 2, 2018

That's the thing also of getting the wicking down. I've watched quite a few YT vids on the wicking for the intake but again like I said I'm pretty new. But also get the concept.

I wrapped the clapton with 24/32.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    That's the thing also of getting the wicking down. I've watched quite a few YT vids on the wicking for the intake but again like I said I'm pretty new. But also get the concept.

I wrapped the clapton with 24/32.
    Can you post a pic of your build with wick? Side views please.

jkbobell

Jul 2, 2018
    wick1.jpg
    wick2.jpg

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    An alien coil will last months so your good.

I mean it last for 1-2 puffs. I got a lot more puffs per drip with the gennie. Lower power, MTL and probably harder to get the liquid out of the mesh wick than just being soaked into a coil.

Glad you got it apart:thumbs:

It just took a hard twist to get it broke free. The insides were nasty looking.
    I didn't even try the W. I would've had to modify the air hole and fix the too tight of a cap problem. I may do that in the future but this was spur of the moment.

Well,maybe but that doesn't matter a whole bunch to me. I just want to test them for flavor and sweetness level. I'm not a dripper and never will be. I've tried many times over the years.

Dripping for flavor testing isn't as bad as dripping for vaping. You're set up for a purpose not trying to do all that while doing other stuff.

The boozy one and 2 tobacco blends all have a nice low sweetness level and all are potential winners. The last being a Peanut Butter Baccy.
    This one I'm not caring that much for yet
    Smoky Smoked Plum
    INW Smoked Plum .5%
    2 drops DNB
    INW Plum 3%
    HA Ry3 5%

The plum completely overrun the baccy and it's a tad much sweet. Also not caring that much for the plum taste. All this could steep out so we'll see.

I can easily see an Inawera flavor taking over other brands at 3%.

If you really do mean 30mg nicotine that could be harsh depending on the nicotine.

I'm not a fan of TFA mango enough that it has scared me off other mangos. I can imagine that being the source of bitter if the company you got included unripe rind in their flavor profile.

I'm liking the Zeus dual I got yesterday. I only did a single coil but it was pretty easy to biuld. I've heard don't fill the liquid feed holes with too much wick (deep or packed) or it cuts off the flow. I only have one build on it but I've lived by that rule and experienced the problem with Themis.

jkbobell

Jul 2, 2018
    I'm using cotton. Yes sorry I meant 3mg. I'm using the steam engine calculator.

So start with more cotton? I'm getting ready to build the zeus in a few. More cotton with it also? I'm cutting strips and making sure there's not too much tension while pulling it thru the coil.

Also I'm going to try 3mm 24/32 clapton with 6 wraps. Sound like a good starting point?

Users who are viewing this thread