The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Random DIY mixing and More

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by FranC, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ceeceeisme

ceeceeisme Ultra Member ECF Veteran

The longer I do DIY the more I realize how widely varied peoples sense of taste can be and how completely different our likes and dislikes are. I got into DIY because finding commercial eliquid that I liked was so very hard and now I understand why. It always makes me wonder how people make do with stuff they can buy off the shelf.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Well,maybe but that doesn't matter a whole bunch to me. I just want to test them for flavor and sweetness level. I'm not a dripper and never will be. I've tried many times over the years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Yes I agree. The "taste" thing reminds me of a long forgotten vendor coffee. It smelled heavenly but I just about gagged when I went to vape it. I promptly sent it to a friend with a warning. Nope,she didn't love it either...............but it confirmed my opinion of it.

• Like Like x 4
  4. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Metal mesh attys don't really work well for me in terms of flavor testing, either. I like a dripper with the same rayon or cotton I use in my ADV atty. Even the IGO-L with a silica wick doesn't accurately portray the flavor I get in a regular atty. You do need something for a wick that won't burn with a dripper. It's possible to flavor test with a Rayon wick in an IGO-L, but you have to make sure there's enough juice for a hit or two without running dry.

I'm watching to see what others suggest.

• Like Like x 4
  5. dc99

dc99 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2014
    earth
    I use cap sugar cookie in some of my cheesecake recipes instead of graham

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Have tried that, but need to lower the sugar cookie, touch too sweet at 3%. Have a biscotto-almond-butter pecan steeping. Honestly I don't miss the crust note in a cheesecake mix, just have gotten stubborn about it now.

• Like Like x 5
  7. hittman

hittman ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I definitely agree. I found seven single flavor testers in my cabinet this morning from 6-21. I decided to try the VT strawberry custard. I have always liked strong flavors and had mixed this one at 10%. In the enthion the flavor is incredible and very strong. I do like it but it's too strong in that one. I grabbed my ammit rda clone and tried it in that one. In this one I could do 8-10%. In the enthion it could be more like 4-6%. I had almost forgotten that I ordered two times getting VT flavors to try. There's a second bag of single flavor testers that could be tried at any time also. This steeping thing is going quicker than I thought it would. I've already got ten days today on the two HS tobacco single flavor testers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    See it's not bad:)

• Like Like x 4
  9. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    My flavor testers are mixed with low %. Should be fine. Of course I'll already have all my currant ones tasted long before I get the RDA.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    This is a strange one. More a boozy thing and not much a baccy. It has promise so it's going back to steep.

• Like Like x 4
  11. hittman

Supporting member
    I went downstairs and dug out my cap blueberry to try with the vt blueberry milkshake and also grabbed a couple others like biscuit and smooth that I want to try adding in small amounts in some recipes.

• Like Like x 6
  12. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Good luck:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    The boozy one and 2 tobacco blends all have a nice low sweetness level and all are potential winners. The last being a Peanut Butter Baccy.
    This one I'm not caring that much for yet
    Smoky Smoked Plum
    INW Smoked Plum .5%
    2 drops DNB
    INW Plum 3%
    HA Ry3 5%

The plum completely overrun the baccy and it's a tad much sweet. Also not caring that much for the plum taste. All this could steep out so we'll see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  14. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    This one is too sweet even though I added a bit of plain cheesecake. Could just need steeping.
    Raison Rum Mix
    3 drops FLV Raisin Rum
    TFA Vanilla Bourbon 1%
    TFA Graham/Cheesecake 2%
    TFA Graham Clear 1%
    HA Ry3 5%
    (Added small amount of cheesecake just for me)

There is no reason for this to be sweet so I just chalk it up to needs steeping.

Last mix is my latest version of Fruit and Basil. Sweetness level getting better and the touch of lemon did add some brightness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. jkbobell

jkbobell Full Member

Jul 2, 2018
    I'm new to the mixing and have a few questions. I have a couple of premixes that I like so I bought a few flavors at bull city to at least get it into the same basic flavors. I made a very small mix, 10ml, and it was not all that great. I used low percentages but it was harsh and bitter.

The mix was 3% dragon fruit and 1% mango at 80/20 3% nicotine. I let it steep for a week.

I have some more flavors to be delivered today and was wondering what could be possibly going on that it's so harsh and bitter?

I'm going to try and do a real simple mix today, probably cantaloupe, honeydew and cucumber. The premix that I like says it's honeydew and cucumber so I'm trying to at least get it close or maybe something I like better.

Any suggestions? I searched at e-liquids-recipies and really didn't come up with with much searching of "melon"

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  16. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    What tank and pv are you using and at what power level?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Please post the brands of the flavors you are asking about, makes a huge difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Also are you using high VG for a reason? Sensitive to PG? PG is the best flavor Carrier. VG requires more steeping.

• Like Like x 3
  19. jkbobell

jkbobell Full Member

Jul 2, 2018
    I'm using the augvape intake and also receiving the zeus dual rta today also. Right now I'm using a clapton spaced coil at .55 and 35 watts. But that's a whole new thing I'm trying to figure out with different coils and whatnot. It seems that a clapton spaced or straight coil spaced seems to work better to me anyways. I bought a bottle of premix yesterday and no matter what wattage it couldn't get it to work cause of the spitting and having a mouth full of juice. It was a 70/30.

Sorry, didn't mean to be all over the place but I'm still new to this but am slowly getting the hang and balance of all of this.

The brands of flavors are TFA.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  20. hittman

Supporting member
    I’ve got the intake rta. I’m running a 26/32 Clapton stainless steel coil at .43 ohms and I like it at around 27 watts with the airflow open. You could be getting spit back if you don’t have enough cotton and the deck is flooded.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1