Random DIY mixing and More

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Okay @FranC, I dusted off my subtank, found the two original coils that came with it (never been used; 0.6Ω & 1.5Ω), and installed the 1.5Ω. I primed it with the same tester of the SM whiskey Cavendish, partially filled the tank, and let it sit for 10 minutes.

I am getting almost no flavor out of this.:( I ran it from 4 watts, all the way up to 19 watts where it became too hot to vape. All I can get from it is a vague sweetness... nothing else. I also tried all airflow settings through the wattage changes. Nada.

I got much more flavor, using the same juice, out of the Berserker.

This doesn't rule out that I have it over-flavored. So, I won't break down the subtank, until I do my dilution testing... and give it another go.

I will say, that even on the tightest setting, the SMT is not restrictive enough for me. I kept catching myself sneaking restricted DTL puffs off of it.:rolleyes: The vapor was nice though, even at the higher temps, it was nice and dense. I remember why I used it for so long.:D
Higher vg always made my chest feel heavier and restricted. Not a fun experience. I found that if I use 1-2 pct dw to thin it I could vape it. But I don't always do that. Most of the time I just use a 50/50 pg/vg mix and that works well for me.....

:)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Higher vg always made my chest feel heavier and restricted. Not a fun experience. I found that if I use 1-2 pct dw to thin it I could vape it. But I don't always do that. Most of the time I just use a 50/50 pg/vg mix and that works well for me.....

Me too (re: VG). I found 40PG/60VG was about as high a PG percentage as I could tolerate. otherwise, it became too harsh. :)

I never could get DW to work for me; I kept getting unwanted popping, and spit-back... I gave up.:(

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Me too (re: VG). I found 40PG/60VG was about as high a PG percentage as I could tolerate. otherwise, it became too harsh. :)

I never could get DW to work for me; I kept getting unwanted popping, and spit-back... I gave up.:(
Yes, I got some of the popping and occasional spit-back, which is why I don't use it all the time. Have yet to try 0.5 % or even 0.25 %. For now the 50/50 split is working fine.....

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

@IDJoel
Have you tried the PEG400? That may help with harshness?

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Joel, Instead of going totally mtl(and have the feeling drawing a puff is like sucking molasses through a straw---sorry mtl vapers) you could do a middle of the road type of vaping. Many of us like what is known as a restricted dtl where we are using a mtl rta tank but the airflow allows us more freedom to draw from. To me this is more of a natural type of draw(very close to the real cigarette type of puff). Just a suggestion, but it does work for a lot of vapers.

eta, a very good tank that does just that is the Siren 2. You still get that tiny tug of a mtl vape but air flow is free-er....hope that makes sense.

I have two of those but like the siren 1 better. It has more airflow. I’ve been running the same one for over a year.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I have no idea what "is" and "isn't" healthier when it comes to vaping.;) It was more a matter of I just didn't like the way I was feeling. If you want more details, on the whys and whats, I just posted this on another thread.

Thanks for the link!

Hooray!:thumbs: What was the solution?

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Give it a month but dang,you should be getting more than you are. Plus the claims of being pre-steeped.
    Will do!:)

As I mentioned, in the Berserker, I was getting decent flavor... kind of on par with a mildly mixed INW Am4a. Not strong. Not weak. Mild.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    @IDJoel
    Have you tried the PEG400? That may help with harshness?
    I have not. That is an interesting suggestion; I am due to order PG in the next couple of months. Maybe I should order a small amount and see.

I should note; that since I have reduced my liquid consumption (10-15mL/day; to <2mL/day), I have been feeling much better.:D
    I have two of those but like the siren 1 better. It has more airflow. I’ve been running the same one for over a year.
    SMT is too airy for me. I am looking for less; not more. That is why I went with the Berserker. The Siren sounds totally outside my wheelhouse. :)

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Will do!:)

As I mentioned, in the Berserker, I was getting decent flavor... kind of on par with a mildly mixed INW Am4a. Not strong. Not weak. Mild.
    Just got out my 3 mixed Stixx bottles for a sniff test. Wishing I didn't do that though. All 3 have no smell at all.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    @IDJoel have you tried salts to help with smoothing the harshness?
    No; as nic never seemed to be an issue for me. Even when I jumped up, from 6mg/mL to 18mg/mL, I didn't notice any significant increase in harshness. Only PG.

When I was trying various PG/VG ratios (using 6mg/mL nic); the difference between 50/50 and 45PG/65VG was noticeable. I can vape 45PG/65VG; but I prefer 40PG/60VG.:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I should note; that since I have reduced my liquid consumption (10-15mL/day; to <2mL/day), I have been feeling much better.:D

I am glad you are better....but man, that's a big jump. Once I got down to 3mg and tried to go back up to 6mg I could not handle it. I too was looking for a way to tone down my consumption and to slow down the the chain vaping. I had to do it slowly 1mg at a time, but did eventually get it back up to 5-6mg. I started vaping @ 12mg, so I don't even think 18mg is in my future. LOL

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Just got out my 3 mixed Stixx bottles for a sniff test. Wishing I didn't do that though. All 3 have no smell at all.
    That's kind of discouraging!:(

From the few reviews and user comments, that I have been able to find; your use of lower percentages (than mine) seems right on par. I am eager to see what you think once you vape them. I never know how much is my corrupt taste buds; and how much is the concentrate.:confused:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    No; as nic never seemed to be an issue for me. Even when I jumped up, from 6mg/mL to 18mg/mL, I didn't notice any significant increase in harshness. Only PG.

When I was trying various PG/VG ratios (using 6mg/mL nic); the difference between 50/50 and 45PG/65VG was noticeable. I can vape 45PG/65VG; but I prefer 40PG/60VG.:)
    Ok, I am having a bit of difficulty understanding how you can tell the pg is harsh but not the nic? It sounds like more of a sensitivity /allergic thing to pg. Correct?

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    That's kind of discouraging!:(

From the few reviews and user comments, that I have been able to find; your use of lower percentages (than mine) seems right on par. I am eager to see what you think once you vape them. I never know how much is my corrupt taste buds; and how much is the concentrate.:confused:
    I have some home made NET's a forum fellow was nice to send me awhile back. There was no question about the smell of tobacco and he must have had a good filter system because they weren't bad on clogging even though they were dark. Good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread