Random DIY mixing and More

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I am glad you are better....but man, that's a big jump.
I agree that that was rather extreme; and I am not endorsing that others need to do it. It is just what worked for me.:)

When I was vaping at the 4-6mg/mL range; it seemed as if I had a mod glued to my hand. I had to make a conscious decision to set it down to do any two-handed task. I was not happy with myself.:mad:

It did take a bit of getting used to; I had a few light headed moments. However, my body seems to be pretty good about self-regulating, and now I can go for hours without even thinking of vaping, if I am busy.:D

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I agree that that was rather extreme; and I am not endorsing that others need to do it. It is just what worked for me.:)

When I was vaping at the 4-6mg/mL range; it seemed as if I had a mod glued to my hand. I had to make a conscious decision to set it down to do any two-handed task. I was not happy with myself.:mad:

It did take a bit of getting used to; I had a few light headed moments. However, my body seems to be pretty good about self-regulating, and now I can go for hours without even thinking of vaping, if I am busy.:D
    I vape at 6mg and usually have a mod glued to my hand like you did. However if I'm busy I have no problem not vaping.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Ok, I am having a bit of difficulty understanding how you can tell the pg is harsh but not the nic? It sounds like more of a sensitivity /allergic thing to pg. Correct?
    I adjust PG/VG ratio first... before upping the nic level. Nic stayed constant (4mg/mL) while I tried various PG/VG ratios.:D

I have no idea if it is an allergy... I don't suffer any others... that I know of. I am inclined to describe it as more of just an irritant. There are no lingering effects. "But I ain't no physician!":D:laugh::D

The sole reason I was trying to up the PG, was to lower the VG. I still blame VG for my heavy chest feeling.:)

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    No; as nic never seemed to be an issue for me. Even when I jumped up, from 6mg/mL to 18mg/mL, I didn't notice any significant increase in harshness. Only PG.

When I was trying various PG/VG ratios (using 6mg/mL nic); the difference between 50/50 and 45PG/65VG was noticeable. I can vape 45PG/65VG; but I prefer 40PG/60VG.:)

I have just within the last few months gotten my nic level down to 12mg on my dtl tanks and 20 on my mtl. I used 32mg for a long time.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I have some home made NET's a forum fellow was nice to send me awhile back. There was no question about the smell of tobacco and he must have had a good filter system because they weren't bad on clogging even though they were dark. Good stuff.
    Yeah; the night I was conversing with Ty (aka. Stixx); I came across some stuff that started raising flags in my mind. If you search for the same user name on ELR, but over in their forum section, and read his one thread... it is rather disturbing.

Just 2½ years ago, he was accusing most/all synthetic concentrate companies, of all using (and just repackaging) LorAnn concentrates and merely profiting from mark-up. And now he is peddling his own NETs? Yes, he also participated on one of their NET threads, and did seem to be making his own, during the same time. But,... well... WOW!:eek:

I am certainly no longer confident; but am trying to remain hopeful. Anything can happen in two years; and I am trying to give him the benefit of doubt.:unsure:

I have gotten the opinion, from reading ECF's own NET threads; that when making DIY NET extracts, the extract itself benefits from (maybe even "requires"?) its own sleeping period (after being extracted; and before being mixed), and then additional aging once being mixed into an e-liquid. Perhaps, it is this initial steep, that Ty is saying has already been done???:confused:

At this point... I am clueless.:rolleyes::D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I vape at 6mg and usually have a mod glued to my hand like you did. However if I'm busy I have no problem not vaping.
    That is where we differed. If I was making dinner, I could put the vape down, chop celery, then was looking for my vape again... before I could think about chopping onions, or carrots.

That wasn't acceptable in my book.:-x

Now, I can go to the market, drive home, put the groceries away, prepare dinner, eat, clean up, sit down to relax... and only then realize I left my vape in the consul, in the car (which is where I put it to go into the store).:thumbs::D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    On a happier note,

@MacTechVpr, posted on another thread, an idea that I never really thought to research before.

I found the results fascinating, and thought of all of you here, who are always creating your own recipes from scratch (vs. me, who usually poaches other's recipes, and then tweak them to my own liking, and stash).

MacTech mentioned flavor pairing/compatibility charts.

What I have found (so far), seem to come from a food & beverage stand point; as I have not seen some of the suggestions offered as concentrates, as well as no concentrate manufacturers/brands being specified. I still think these could be a useful tool for formulating ideas; especially when the creative juices just don't seem to be flowing.

So far, I have found two, that I feel are worthy of point out:
    https://www.vapepassion.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ejuice-flavor-pairing-chart.png
    and
    https://www.vapepassion.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/mist-eliquid-flavour-pairings.jpg
    Both came from the same website:
    Flavor Pairing Charts for DIY E-Juice - VapePassion.com

Also, deserving honorable mention, one of ECF's own threads:
    Flavor Pairing...list

I will continue to see what else I can stumble across; and share any interesting finds.

Enjoy!:D

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Joel, Instead of going totally mtl(and have the feeling drawing a puff is like sucking molasses through a straw---sorry mtl vapers) you could do a middle of the road type of vaping.

I've always only vaped MTL (well actually mouth to nose/mouth), and have never had a problem using the same draw I used with smoking for 42 years. In fact, I don't hardly pull at all, just slow and steady, but still get way more than enough vapor. I get so much, that it fills my mouth and starts coming out my nose before I've even finished pulling. I set my 24mm Berserker AFC on the middle hole, too, not even either of the 2 larger ones.

I'm just glad there are various drawing/inhaling methods with vaping, so everyone can find which one works best for them and satisfies them. If I had to vape DTL...I probably wouldn't vape at all.

I am liking my new Berserkers; I am just still learning what is the best build in it, for me.

I'm glad you're liking them now, Joel. I'd read your post on the Berserkers thread before, not long after you'd tried them. I've found that for me...using a 1.3ohm coil, at a puny little 6.9W works great and gives me fantastic flavor and extremely smooth vapor. I hope you find what's best for you, too, soon.

I have two of those but like the siren 1 better. It has more airflow. I’ve been running the same one for over a year.

I still have 3 of the Siren 1, brand new in their boxes. About a year ago when they were really scarce...I had a Canadian member buy and send 6 to me from a vendor up there, for another ECF member and I to split. Still haven't gotten around to trying 1 though. I'm loving my Berserkers so well, it'll probably be even awhile longer before I do.

SMT is too airy for me. I am looking for less; not more. That is why I went with the Berserker. The Siren sounds totally outside my wheelhouse. :)

I really like the AFC options on the Berserkers. Out of all the tanks I have now, it's so easy to dial in the exact AF that works for me on them.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I'm glad you're liking them now, Joel. I'd read your post on the Berserkers thread before, not long after you'd tried them. I've found that for me...using a 1.3ohm coil, at a puny little 6.9W works great and gives me fantastic flavor and extremely smooth vapor. I hope you find what's best for you, too, soon.
    Thanks, JC!:thumbs:

I am not unhappy with them in the least. I just have to take/make the time, to figure out how to set it up, so the flavor is best for me.:blush: It is such an easy vaping, juice sipping, low power-using, device; that a single build lasts me a couple of months... with the same wick! And, because I am the Great Procrastinator; this does not encourage me to quickly try a bunch of different builds.
    (To be honest, I wouldn't build at all. But, I am even cheaper than I am lazy, and spending even 30¢ when I know I can make them for a nickle ticks me off. So... I build.)
    But, all of this is my own doing, and I don't fault the atty at all. I'll get it figured out. I just take ten times as long as everybody else.:facepalm::D

I know you buy your coils pre-wrapped; but do you have any idea what the inside diameter(s) might be?
    So far, the only build I have put in the Berserker, is a 2.5mm. And I seem to recall that 2mm was actually more popular. I started to try a 2mm; but the cotton (rayon actually) that I could force into that diameter of coil, did not look like it was enough for the wick wells and might lead to flooding.
    I really like the AFC options on the Berserkers. Out of all the tanks I have now, it's so easy to dial in the exact AF that works for me on them.
    Agreed. I love the airflow options on the Berserker. If I am vaping unflavored, the largest is fine. If I have a flavored liquid; then either one or two up from the smallest seems to work best. Now I just need to get coil size, I.D., positioning (above the air inlet), and power/temperature, figured out and I am golden!:rolleyes:
    :D:lol::lol::lol::D

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I've always only vaped MTL (well actually mouth to nose/mouth), and have never had a problem using the same draw I used with smoking for 42 years. In fact, I don't hardly pull at all, just slow and steady, but still get way more than enough vapor. I get so much, that it fills my mouth and starts coming out my nose before I've even finished pulling. I set my 24mm Berserker AFC on the middle hole, too, not even either of the 2 larger ones.

I'm just glad there are various drawing/inhaling methods with vaping, so everyone can find which one works best for them and satisfies them. If I had to vape DTL...I probably wouldn't vape at all.
    I am sorry JC, did my post sound like I was putting down mtl vaping? I really wasn't trying to offend anyone, I was just describing how mtl feels like to me. I don't think I have ever said any form of vaping was right or wrong. From what I can tell, all vapers seem to use ecigs like they smoked. Nothing wrong with that. I have tried to use mtl and it just isn't for me. I was addressing @IDJoel who is making a switch from dtl to mtl and that mtl is so totally opposite of what he was used to using. I was trying to offer a more gradual way to accomplish that and now after more discussion with him realize that he is an all in type of personality. Nothing wrong with that either. I guess I am just a bit puzzled by your post?

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    (To be honest, I wouldn't build at all. But, I am even cheaper than I am lazy, and spending even 30¢ when I know I can make them for a nickle ticks me off. So... I build.)

The pre-wound ones I buy from FT run 3.5 cents each for the 1.3ohm 316L SS ones, 3.4 cents each for the 1.5ohm 316L SS, and 3.4 cents each for the Kanthal A1 1.5ohm ones. Those prices are lower when there's a sale discount code, too!

I know you buy your coils pre-wrapped; but do you have any idea what the inside diameter(s) might be?
    So far, the only build I have put in the Berserker, is a 2.5mm. And I seem to recall that 2mm was actually more popular. I started to try a 2mm; but the cotton (rayon actually) that I could force into that diameter of coil, did not look like it was enough for the wick wells and might lead to flooding.

IMO, 2mm is way tiny for use in the Berserker. For those above that I buy and use in mine, FT says the depth is 2.5mm, but that's got to be wrong because...the 316L SS 1.3ohm are 28ga wire and actually measure 3mm ID or extremely close to that. The 316L SS 1.5ohm are 30ga wire and also measure the same. The Kanthal A1 1.5ohm that they used to carry in pouches of 100 were 2.5mm ID. Now they sell a different brand of those though, and I don't have any of them to measure.

I personally really like the 3mm ones in the Berserkers. That was too large for my little KFL+ shorty tank, but it's great in the Berserkers, IMO.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I am sorry JC, did my post sound like I was putting down mtl vaping? I really wasn't trying to offend anyone, I was just describing how mtl feels like to me.

No...not at all! You had said what trying to vape MTL felt like to you, (which made me giggle by the way), and I was telling how different my own experience is with it. That's all. I thought your idea about Joel maybe trying restricted DTL was a good one.

In my 2nd paragraph, I said I was glad there were different methods for people. Because if I had to vape DTL, I'd probably not vape at all, and I thought you might feel the same way if MTL were the only method.

I probably just shouldn't have posted about anything that wasn't directed to me. I apologize and won't do it again. :)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    No...not at all! You had said what trying to vape MTL felt like to you, (which made me giggle by the way), and I was telling how different my own experience is with it. That's all. I thought your idea about Joel maybe trying restricted DTL was a good one.

In my 2nd paragraph, I said I was glad there were different methods for people. Because if I had to vape DTL, I'd probably not vape at all, and I thought you might feel the same way if MTL were the only method.

I probably just shouldn't have posted about anything that wasn't directed to me. I apologize and won't do it again. :)
    Nooo, don't apologize--- anyone can post to whomever they choose. I was just explaining what was going on and why I posted. I was puzzled because I thought maybe I had offended you, but not sure how I did....that's it. All is good.

:)

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Yeah; the night I was conversing with Ty (aka. Stixx); I came across some stuff that started raising flags in my mind. If you search for the same user name on ELR, but over in their forum section, and read his one thread... it is rather disturbing.

Just 2½ years ago, he was accusing most/all synthetic concentrate companies, of all using (and just repackaging) LorAnn concentrates and merely profiting from mark-up. And now he is peddling his own NETs? Yes, he also participated on one of their NET threads, and did seem to be making his own, during the same time. But,... well... WOW!:eek:

I am certainly no longer confident; but am trying to remain hopeful. Anything can happen in two years; and I am trying to give him the benefit of doubt.:unsure:

I have gotten the opinion, from reading ECF's own NET threads; that when making DIY NET extracts, the extract itself benefits from (maybe even "requires"?) its own sleeping period (after being extracted; and before being mixed), and then additional aging once being mixed into an e-liquid. Perhaps, it is this initial steep, that Ty is saying has already been done???:confused:

At this point... I am clueless.:rolleyes::D
    Tobacco leaves have to be soaked for some extensive time in PG before the flavor is filtered but that part has nothing to do with steeping.

Last edited:

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    That is where we differed. If I was making dinner, I could put the vape down, chop celery, then was looking for my vape again... before I could think about chopping onions, or carrots.

That wasn't acceptable in my book.:-x

Now, I can go to the market, drive home, put the groceries away, prepare dinner, eat, clean up, sit down to relax... and only then realize I left my vape in the consul, in the car (which is where I put it to go into the store).:thumbs::D
    But why so extreme? I enjoy vaping. I enjoy the flavors and mixing a recipe that I really love..........

Users who are viewing this thread