Random DIY mixing and More

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Good, because I didn't understand what you were asking.

I would've thought, "I can use this as a 10% dilution or ??" to be to take your IC flavored base as your whole base and add flavorings to it.
    That would make it less than 10%, but you wouldn't want it to be 10% from the sounds of it.
    You could vape it at 10% if you wanted:D
    From my experience playing with too strong of testers, if you wanted to taste it in 8 weeks you can cut it down and shake and vape.
    No,my aim was a 10% dilution.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    So stone is the 50/50 TFA Strawberry/Strawberry Ripe?
    I've considering making up some one shot bottles. Does that cut any of the aging time?
    It can be---flavorings only tho. Not quite sure of the benefit of just 2 flavors, but if you find it easier why not?
    Don't think aging is gonna happen being just the flavorings/pg or vg, but could be wrong........but if you shake it enough they may blend together better.......let us know..

:)

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    It can be---flavorings only tho. Not quite sure of the benefit of just 2 flavors, but if you find it easier why not?
    Don't think aging is gonna happen being just the flavorings/pg or vg, but could be wrong........but if you shake it enough they may blend together better.......let us know..

Generally either hasn't been a big deal for me. 10% flavorings, 30ml batch, 3ml syringe. If I made one shots I'd still want to mix each syringe like I was making multiple 30ml bottles because the 3ml line is my final check. But Inawera is getting some low % recipes for me where I could fit multiple bottles in one flavoring syringe.

I haven't tried the Strawberry Ripe yet let alone that stone, but if that does become my always strawberry I could see premixing the two just for simplicity on mixing day. Since my always watermelon has been TFA and FA watermelons 50/50 for many years I've often wondered why I don't just mix the two into one bottle.

dc99

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 17, 2014
    earth
    I've considering making up some one shot bottles. Does that cut any of the aging time?
    I really dont see any benefit except maybe mixing speed. Aging or steeping is more of getting the flavors to blend into the VG/PG and to some extent the NIC. Flavors generally blend well from the get go.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I really dont see any benefit except maybe mixing speed. Aging or steeping is more of getting the flavors to blend into the VG/PG and to some extent the NIC. Flavors generally blend well from the get go.

Mixing speed, accidental bottle grabs like how I've been using a FA Watermelon and TFA Wintergreen "stone" (not really because the percentages are wrong to use as a direct out of the bottle mix) for quite a few mixes because I grabbed the wintergreen thinking I was grabbing the TFA Watermelon.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    ummm, Fran,,,,,,,it is your thread.......you can hog it all you want.......
    lol
    Equal opportunity thread. All are welcome to hog:lol: You'll be happy to know I have no big interest in stones and whatnot. They confuse me and I don't see any huge benefit.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Hi All, it's catch-up time, for me...
    Ok,for one thing I will say I don't know for a fact just how long the HA Cream needs to steep. I'm going by the suggestions of many others including reddit.
    This (^^^) is why I have come to find usefulness from regular vape-testing new (to me) concentrates.

I don't expect them to be "ready," or fully developed. They may well even be unpleasant. But... I don't know. They may be shake & vape, need a day, a week, a month, two months, ??? But, I don't know unless I test them at regular intervals.

It is not a very exciting part of vaping, and can certainly be tedious. However, I have no other way (that I can think of) to truly know how an ingredient is going to behave for my own (extremely flaky) palate.

Reading other's opinions, reviews, and experiences, are useful to me, to help set reasonable expectations. But there is no guarantee that I will share that experience. Again; the only way I can know that, is by putting in the time and effort.

Okay; everyone please excuse me for a moment while I step down of my soap box.
    Sorry... :blush::D
    Fran I have a bottle of HA Italian Cream that I will use to test my hypothesis. Joel and Myk are concerned that such a small amount of the nic solution used is not enough to steep the bottle with such a high concentration of flavor. So I will take one for the team and test it. The figures work on paper but in RL may produce undesired results.
    Thanks Sugar; I am eager to hear what you learn!:thumb:

Are you going to make a fully diluted tester as well (at the same time as the "more concentrated" dilution(s)), to use as control/comparison? Just thinking out loud... :)
    I am inclined to agree with @Sugar_and_Spice; and speculated that there is little/no aging benefit to combining only flavor concentrates. That was why I tried to include all carrier elements (PG/PEG/VG/nic) in Fran's exercise. Traditionally, these are not included in stones, flavor bases, or one-shots.

As I understand it; this tradition of pre-combining flavor concentrates, was solely for convenience (and later commercialization/marketing; e.g. one-shots).
    I will now stop hogging the thread........for now.
    I'm in FULL agreement with Sugar; you started this thread, therefore it IS yours. Hog away! :D:lol::lol::lol::D

Besides... I am finding this educational. I never would thought to try pre-aging individual ingredients, to potentially shorten the required aging of a finished recipe. I am curious to see what your results are.

And, one final question, on the subject, for you @FranC. You (I think?) now have 1 or 2 bottles of diluted 1% IC, 1 or 2 bottles of diluted 1.5% IC, and 60mL of 10% diluted IC.

What did you use for diluting agent(s) in all of these?

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire

This (^^^) is why I have come to find usefulness from regular vape-testing new (to me) concentrates.

I don't expect them to be "ready," or fully developed. They may well even be unpleasant. But... I don't know. They may be shake & vape, need a day, a week, a month, two months, ??? But, I don't know unless I test them at regular intervals.

It is not a very exciting part of vaping, and can certainly be tedious. However, I have no other way (that I can think of) to truly know how an ingredient is going to behave for my own (extremely flaky) palate.

Reading other's opinions, reviews, and experiences, are useful to me, to help set reasonable expectations. But there is no guarantee that I will share that experience. Again; the only way I can know that, is by putting in the time and effort.

Are you going to make a fully diluted tester as well (at the same time as the "more concentrated" dilution(s)), to use as control/comparison? Just thinking out loud... :)

I am inclined to agree with @Sugar_and_Spice; and speculated that there is little/no aging benefit to combining only flavor concentrates. That was why I tried to include all carrier elements (PG/PEG/VG/nic) in Fran's exercise. Traditionally, these are not included in stones, flavor bases, or one-shots.

As I understand it; this tradition of pre-combining flavor concentrates, was solely for convenience (and later commercialization/marketing; e.g. one-shots).

I'm in FULL agreement with Sugar; you started this thread, therefore it IS yours. Hog away! :D:lol::lol::lol::D

Besides... I am finding this educational. I never would thought to try pre-aging individual ingredients, to potentially shorten the required aging of a finished recipe. I am curious to see what your results are.

And, one final question, on the subject, for you @FranC. You (I think?) now have 1 or 2 bottles of diluted 1% IC, 1 or 2 bottles of diluted 1.5% IC, and 60mL of 10% diluted IC.

My base mix

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I got a bottle of ws23 with my last order and thought I'd try it for the first time by adding a drop into my tank filled with lemonade. Not a good idea. One drop kinda took over the tank. I've diluted it a couple times by topping off the tank but am tempted to dump it and start over.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I got a bottle of ws23 with my last order and thought I'd try it for the first time by adding a drop into my tank filled with lemonade. Not a good idea. One drop kinda took over the tank. I've diluted it a couple times by topping off the tank but am tempted to dump it and start over.
    One drop does nothing for me....LOL

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there

"Thanks Sugar; I am eager to hear what you learn!"

"Are you going to make a fully diluted tester as well (at the same time as the "more concentrated" dilution(s)), to use as control/comparison? "
    When I made them this morning, I made what was discussed in the thread. A 5ml bottle @.45 ml per ml = 2.25ml total in 2.75 nic solution (premade @ 6mg 50/50).

The 2nd bottle included the same amount of flavor but I increased the nic solution to 7.75 ml.

I guess I better get to mixing the 30ml @ 1.5% ...I got distracted.... LOL

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I'm betting you need to dump and rewick.

dc99

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 17, 2014
    earth
    It is possible that it didnt blend into the rest of what was in the tank. I use it in a couple recipes that I have to blend for quite a while or it just seems to separate. One drop should have done nothing much.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA

I was wondering because many one shots claim shake n vape. Although with Ace and Queen I found that not to be so true.

So far from the 0mg TFA Strawberry it's looking like nicotine has something to do with the color change, there is no hint of coloring going on.
    So any aging like that probably only comes in the completed mix but if it's a shake n vape recipe I could see where the one shot would have them pre-married so they could be a real fast shake n vape. Coupled with premixed base remixing day could go really fast.

Ahh, the joys of tank mixing gone wrong.
    I haven't tried that coolant but judging from what I have tried I agree with Letitia and it's in your wick. Not entirely a bad thing, that is what I'm after with my Doublemint but it doesn't sound like it's working for you.

It did work out for me and MTS when I tried a drop in a tank.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Ok. A couple of things. I know most of ya'all don't smell your flavors and I did make myself wait until all 3 bottles were mixed before doing so. :facepalm: I can tell why some people are saying there is a dairy/cheesy type of flavor that comes out with longer steeps. While no where near the overwhelming smell of the bb milkshake, the Italian Cream does have that same distinct flavor smell to it. Trusting that it will eventually steep out.

I plan on waiting the 8-9 weeks before testing, so if anyone wants it done before that you gotta let me know.

@FranC ---I sure hope you end up loving this flavor cause there is a distinct possibility I will be sending all I have to you for use in your mixes.....LOL

Reactions: FranC

Users who are viewing this thread