The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Random DIY mixing and More

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by FranC, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Ok I have about a half bottle of the 1% HA IC left mixed July 19th. A test of the cream brought a mild sweetness but otherwise unremarkable flavor. I tried my Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake mixed with 1% cream and it is tasty but I'm undecided at this time if I prefer it with or without. Then I tried my Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake with 1% cream and the cream really tastes good in this one. That's all I did because the others really need to get at least a couple weeks on them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dmska

dmska Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 9, 2011
    What % did you vape this as a stand alone? I think I used butter pecan pie and butterscotch cream pie at 5or 6 %. I'm also trying to find the right % to use wf honey roasted peanut.

• Like Like x 5
  3. JCinFLA

JCinFLA Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2015
    Bill's Magic Vapor (ex-commercial eliquid maker, well-known and loved ECF member, a wealth of info. on DIY, etc.) was someone I learned a lot from in my early days of DIY. I tried many of his recipes, read his blog (there's a wealth of info. in it by the way), followed him on the TFA thread, etc. He's not been active for awhile now on ECF, but I still regularly use some of his techniques, hints & suggestions, etc. and I refer back to a file I have saved with a bunch of his "stuff".

One of his methods used to easily make various eliquid recipes was to make what he called "bases". (I've always thought he probably used these as a commercial mixer.) Specific flavorings are mixed to make each specific "base" type. That 1 base could then be turned into any number of different eliquids of that "type"...by simply adding a different single primary flavoring to the base. I'm thinking those "bases" were probably a type of "stone", as people are calling them nowadays.

Here are a few of them below and his recommendations for using each one. All flavorings are TFA unless otherwise noted. He is/was a high total flavoring % guy. But it's easy to cut that down. At first, I made them as written, but I've found that cutting each by 1/2 is still flavorful enough, for me.

For several years, I made 120mL or larger bottles of several of his bases. I'd then just pull off some of the "base" and add a single Primary flavoring to make my individual recipes. Worked like a charm for me.

Custard - Make a custard eliquid by adding any single flavoring to this mix. You just need to work out the % for that flavoring. It's usually going to be between about 7-13%. Starting at no more than 7% for stronger flavorings would be best.

Cotton Candy 7%
    Vanilla Custard 6%
    Bavarian Cream 6%

Creams - This cream recipe is great with fruits and just about anything else. Add a single primary flavor ingredient to this, in the 10-15% range. I would start at 10% and increase until you find the sweet spot.

Sweet Cream - 5%
    Vanilla Swirl - 5%
    Hazelnut - 2-3%
    Honey - 3%
    Sweetener - 2-3%

Vanilla Milkshake Base - Add about 5% of any fruit flavoring to make that flavor milkshake.

VBIC - 10%
    Marshmallow - 5%
    French Vanilla Deluxe - 4%
    Sweetener - 3%
    Dulce de Leche - 2%
    Koolada - 1%

He also has bases for cobbler, danish, and pies.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    "Tart" is going to be kind of tough with those two; both are for the most part "sweet." I would look to LA Tart & Sour, or similar, to get that. Small amounts of grapefruit or rhubarb may also be useful.

Depth is a bit easier. Meringue, or marshmallow, will both add depth without changing flavor profile much. Caramel is a popular combination, with pear and/or apple, and also adds richness. Coconut is another that can add complexity, and some depth. A touch of cinnamon is good for giving a suggestion of "cooked" fruit, and can add a bit of complexity, but doesn't add much depth on its own. Bakery (Pie Crust, Graham Cracker, Danish) can all add depth, and take the fruit in more of a pastry direction.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. IDJoel

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    That's funny we were both thinking of Bill. :D

• Like Like x 5
  6. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Day after tomorrow I'll be trying my Stixx A+. It will be i week old. @ceeceeisme Tried her A+ at one week and really liked it in her recipe. I'll be trying mine solo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  7. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Our taste buds are certainly unique to us. I don't find the FE Lemon to be much sweeter, if any, than FA Lemon Sicily. Have you tried INW Lemon Mix? It will fade, but does have a zing to it. My solution to lemon fading is to make only a couple of weeks worth at a time. That will be interesting when I go back East for my birth of my middle daughter's baby. I will have to take several weeks of juice with me because all of my mixing supplies are here, in Washington State.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I got a lot of ideas from Bill but could never vape his high flavor recipes. Even back then it was way too much flavor for me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I do have INW Lemon Mix but will have to do a sft. I'm pretty certain I found it sweet.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. IDJoel

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I'm like JC, in that I began by mixing journey, following Bill and his methods. For me, it worked well enough with the old Stardusts, and Vivi Novas, but it became a matter of cost. Mixing at 33% flavoring got expensive, and I was reading about others mixing at 5-10% (using other mfgs.), and I started branching out. :)

• Like Like x 5
  11. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    LOL. I followed Bill to check out his recipes but I could never use his methods.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    You also have to remember who his audience was/is. Mixing commercially meant peoples taste buds were problem still dulled from smoking cigarettes, so he geared his system towards that so that they could be tasted by them. I think he fully expected us to dilute them down once our's healed.

:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I like my new version of Irish Whiskey much better. Dropping the Whiskey to 2 % and it's not overwhelming the other flavors now. The Whiskey itself is a better flavor at 2%.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Sugar_and_Spice

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I know this sounds dumb, but I just didn't have the patience(at that time) to fiddle that much with his methods. Of course, I was still working 60+hrs a week and traveling, so while I understood the concept, I just never had the time.

• Like Like x 4
  15. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I mixed my Bittersweet Chocolate Cheesecake with the 1% cream also. Haven't tried that one yet but I'm betting the cream will benefit it a lot. It's less than 2 weeks old but I'll try it soon.

• Like Like x 4
  16. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    You lacked the time and I lacked the desire.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Sugar_and_Spice

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Sounds like there may be an ole country song in there somewhere????

LMAO

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Well now that I'm done playing with this cream for awhile..I'm lost. Need to find a recipe to mix or something.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    LOL,I'm sure......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. ceeceeisme

ceeceeisme Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I use the Butterscotch Cream Pie at 7% for a stand alone.

WF(SC) Honey Roasted Peanuts isn't really a stand alone kind of flavor and I find the higher you get, the drier it gets. I use it as an accent flavor only for TFA Peanut Butter and usually keep it below 1%. (4% TFA PB with 1% WF(SC) Honey Roasted Peanuts)

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1