hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I have a question about the term "stone". Is a stone considered to be a mix of the same flavor but different brands or can it apply to a premixed recipe of flavors. For example, a few weeks ago, I mixed the flavors together for a creamy yogurt so that I could possibly add a fruit later after I tried all of the new flavors I got on my last few orders. Now is that considered a stone?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I have a question about the term "stone". Is a stone considered to be a mix of the same flavor but different brands or can it apply to a premixed recipe of flavors. For example, a few weeks ago, I mixed the flavors together for a creamy yogurt so that I could possibly add a fruit later after I tried all of the new flavors I got on my last few orders. Now is that considered a stone?
    It is mixture of different flavors together comprising of all the flavors of 1 recipe. It is when you get tired of adding .02ml of xyz and .01ml of another an so on......every time you make that mix.

There are calculators that will calculate the 'stone' %/ml. Just plug in your numbers/%/flavors and what size bottle you want the 'stone' to reside in just like you would putting in a recipe. The calculator will keep the same ratios.
    Then when you go to mix all your flavors are in 1 bottle and you just decide on what % you want to use.
    :)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    You're welcome!
    You might want to check DropperBottles.com for his prices on the 10mL size. You have to get 100, but he's got good prices. There's also an on-going code there for us. IIRC it's either DIY or ECF.

PackagingOptionsDirect.com also has a 20% off sale going on now...when your order includes bottles and closures. Code is: BETTER2GETHER, used at Checkout. Ends tomorrow night.
    Code for Dropper Bottles is DIY. Just ordered 200 15ml since I like those better for testing recipes.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    That's what I've been doing for a while with my raspberry yogurt but didn't know it was called a stone until I saw the term in this thread.
    Well if you decide to use that recipe a lot, you may want to fill that 30 ml up with your flavors. I think ELR calculator may just do a 'stone' calculation. Not sure. That way you would just use a % to make a recipe for vaping. To figure what % you may want to use is to figure out what % the flavors equal now in a single mix. The calculator may even have a spot for that also....

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    Thanks Nola. There are several different issues also in those threads. I am just going to concentrate on whether you can steep a super concentrated liquid. I am not a chemist so the HOW of the break down on nic in the flavors and the aging process is better left to those educated in that field. It is only through experience and some minor testing that we observe what we think is happening.

ECF did have a few chemists members who graced us with their knowledge but I haven't seen them in quite some time......

We are all “chemists” in our own way. The scientific method is defined as: “The systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.” Sounds like trial and error diy to me ;). To reach a solid hypothesis doesn’t require a science degree

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Crickets......please do not allow

Fran I have a bottle of HA Italian Cream that I will use to test my hypothesis. Joel and Myk are concerned that such a small amount of the nic solution used is not enough to steep the bottle with such a high concentration of flavor. So I will take one for the team and test it. The figures work on paper but in RL may produce undesired results. I am sorry for derailing the thread. Did not mean to run everyone else off.......

:(
    Thank you:):)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    From my understanding there are stones an one shots. One shots are just the flavors of a recipe you premix and just add a % to your base as needed. Stones are usually something like a strawberry using several brands to add to a mix as a single strawberry. I think a stone for some reason the percentage needs to equal 10% so you may need to add pg to reach the that mark. The stone thing I still find confusing.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    From my understanding there are stones an one shots. One shots are just the flavors of a recipe you premix and just add a % to your base as needed. Stones are usually something like a strawberry using several brands to add to a mix as a single strawberry. I think a stone for some reason the percentage needs to equal 10% so you may need to add pg to reach the that mark. The stone thing I still find confusing.
    Actually I have seen a stone described as both of these variants. I see no reason as to why it can't be applied to both. It is only recently that one shots name became popular and yes you are correct. That is what vendors call them. Maybe I am just too old school and need to re-educate myself to get with the current times. I hate to learn things I have to unlearn,.......if that makes any sense. LOL

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Actually I have seen a stone described as both of these variants. I see no reason as to why it can't be applied to both. It is only recently that one shots name became popular and yes you are correct. That is what vendors call them. Maybe I am just too old school and need to re-educate myself to get with the current times. I hate to learn things I have to unlearn,.......if that makes any sense. LOL
    I think the only real difference between one shots and stones is how the calculator defines them. As far as some posts I've read on various forums a one shot is every flavor in a recipe and a stone is what flavors you combine to make a whole single flavor and use within a recipe at say 3% along with the the other flavor ingredients.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I think the only real difference between one shots and stones is how the calculator defines them. As far as some posts I've read on various forums a one shot is every flavor in a recipe and a stone is what flavors you combine to make a whole single flavor and use within a recipe at say 3% along with the the other flavor ingredients.
    That definitely makes things more defined and clearer. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    That definitely makes things more defined and clearer. Thanks for setting the record straight.
    I could well be wrong. On another thread a while back there were many of us confused by the stone thing.:facepalm:

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    Ok...I use 3ml of the flavor in 30ml to start? Then to use it in a 30ml recipe at 1.5% I would use 4.5ml?

I've only had one cup of coffee but 3x 1.5= 4.5ml looks right to me.
    And 6ml to 60ml is 10%.

This really does not apply to Frans situation tho. This is more for like menthol crystals, powdered em, things that are already so strong they have to be diluted. Not the same as what Fran wants.

eta but it will work as you stated. It is just that ingredient is steeped while the rest of the ingredients are not. That was why I was asking how long she is steeping the rest of the bottle. She is waiting an additional 3-4 weeks anyway so I am not sure this whole idea isn't self defeating.

It could. She wants to pre-steep a single flavor at a strength that can be used at 1%-1.5%. So make a 10% eliquid complete with nicotine (adjusting the PG/VG/PEG to be able to hit the target as Joel pointed out) then use the aged 10% eliquid when that flavor is called for. The easy 10% math makes it versatile.
    If she wants 6mg nicotine and uses 6mg for the aged single flavor but doesn't worry about being exactly 6mg the added volume wouldn't throw it off enough to worry about. And being that is it an eliquid rather than just a dilute flavor it will surely age.

Although I agree possibly won't age exactly the same as if it was a completed recipe.
    There would still be a need to blend with other flavors and other flavors need to do their thing.

Would it work to pre-steep a recipe's worth of single flavor long steepers separately and then mix them together to get a shake and vape? I don't know.
    I don't know if one steeped ingredient would work to seed steep the other ingredients either. Yet. I'm working on figuring that out.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I've only had one cup of coffee but 3x 1.5= 4.5ml looks right to me.
    And 6ml to 60ml is 10%.

It could. She wants to pre-steep a single flavor at a strength that can be used at 1%-1.5%. So make a 10% eliquid complete with nicotine (adjusting the PG/VG/PEG to be able to hit the target as Joel pointed out) then use the aged 10% eliquid when that flavor is called for. The easy 10% math makes it versatile.
    If she wants 6mg nicotine and uses 6mg for the aged single flavor but doesn't worry about being exactly 6mg the added volume wouldn't throw it off enough to worry about. And being that is it an eliquid rather than just a dilute flavor it will surely age.

Although I agree possibly won't age exactly the same as if it was a completed recipe.
    There would still be a need to blend with other flavors and other flavors need to do their thing.

Would it work to pre-steep a recipe's worth of single flavor long steepers separately and then mix them together to get a shake and vape? I don't know.
    I don't know if one steeped ingredient would work to seed steep the other ingredients either. Yet. I'm working on figuring that out.
    OK,you just answered my question. Ty:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I could well be wrong. On another thread a while back there were many of us confused by the stone thing.:facepalm:
    The original idea of the 'stone'(don't have a clue as to why it was named that other than consistency) was to make mixing easier and more consistent for those wanting to be accurate in repeating their diy mixes. They did not have benefits of readily available equipment to use or many recipes in which to choose from, most calculations used long hand, etc. So if they found combinations that they liked they wanted to be able to keep doing it easily, accurately and quickly whether it was for single-mixed flavor combinations or a whole recipe. Well you get the picture.

Today is a whole different environment where for anyone who wants to mix, its a relatively straight forward process. To separate the different functions that originally comprised the name of stone, it makes sense to separate and rename 1 of them. At least this is how I am seeing it. I could be wrong also. So I always say, if it fits wear it. If it makes no sense throw it away.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    OK,you just answered my question. Ty:)

Good, because I didn't understand what you were asking.

I would've thought, "I can use this as a 10% dilution or ??" to be to take your IC flavored base as your whole base and add flavorings to it.
    That would make it less than 10%, but you wouldn't want it to be 10% from the sounds of it.
    You could vape it at 10% if you wanted:D
    From my experience playing with too strong of testers, if you wanted to taste it in 8 weeks you can cut it down and shake and vape.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    The original idea of the 'stone'(don't have a clue as to why it was named that other than consistency) was to make mixing easier and more consistent for those wanting to be accurate in repeating their diy mixes. They did not have benefits of readily available equipment to use or many recipes in which to choose from, most calculations used long hand, etc. So if they found combinations that they liked they wanted to be able to keep doing it easily, accurately and quickly whether it was for single-mixed flavor combinations or a whole recipe. Well you get the picture.

Today is a whole different environment where for anyone who wants to mix, its a relatively straight forward process. To separate the different functions that originally comprised the name of stone, it makes sense to separate and rename 1 of them. At least this is how I am seeing it. I could be wrong also. So I always say, if it fits wear it. If it makes no sense throw it away.

So stone is the 50/50 TFA Strawberry/Strawberry Ripe?
    I've considering making up some one shot bottles. Does that cut any of the aging time?

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Pretty impressed with dropperbottles.com, 1hr 16m from order confirmation to shipping confirmation.

I remembered seeing the post on them so I ordered some more 10ml since I was starting to get low after all of the sft I mixed. Stoopid! me forgot to use the coupon.

Users who are viewing this thread