Random DIY mixing and More

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
Add a touch of cantalope. As in 2% and it will carry the mango. If you mix really low then try 1%. You dont really want to taste it. If this recipe turns out I will post it by the weekend
Please do! I’ll definitely try my own cantaloupe boosted mango. My mixing fingers been twitching all day:laugh: I just haven’t made the time yet. Looks like fruit for breakfast:) I recently tried PUR toasted coconut mango sherbet. I think it has the lightest ever touch of ms-23, which I like because I like my cooling agents low but I was a bit disappointed with the other flavor or lack there of. It could work as a base to build upon. Ever since I tried it I’ve been thinking about a good mango sherbet. So great timing!

• Winner
Reactions: NolaMel

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Hubby has the crossbow fever. It’s a pricey hobby and thats coming from someone who buys every flavor she sees and wants. But he enjoys it, making it worth it! He deserves it.

I made strings from my archery fever so once I'm set up it shouldn't be bad. I want $100 arrows but need to stop having $100 charges for other things like nicotine and flavoring.

Reactions: FranC

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    My problem is I have that "ooo I need to add that" and I never go back a delete anything
    I do. I really don't need to be buying flavors I won't use. Basil's off the wishlist. It was a pricy FLV one too so my wishlist down to $30 and change.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Basil?

516c1721df77009e946b815b43784cdd--sherlock-holmes-basil-rathbone-sherlock-holmes-costume.jpg

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    It is a good thing to remember Bill's mixing style/philosophy; he did not believe in aging, and preferred to mix using enough flavor that his recipes were shake-n-vape ready...
    I’ve read his blog and all. So I’m familiar with his s&v style... Which is the strange part for me with the chocolate cream pie. I wanted a s&v when I mixed it. I’ve not found a true s&v for me yet... Prompting me to try this one. Because I didn’t like it as a s&v, I assumed after it aged with the high flavoring it’d be a muted undesirable juice. So when I tried it a couple weeks later I was pleasantly surprised! It’s good and while I could vape it now and then, it's just not an ADV for me. It shocked me and taught me though!

@NatashaTMT, I find Bill's recipes good candidates for mixing as flavor bases. This preserves the ratios of one flavor to the next, but still allows easy delusion of the recipe, as a whole. It also permits the making of easy 2 or 3mL testers, without the hassle of minuscule measurements.;)
    I can see this working and being beneficial. Is there a certain recipe(s) you have in mind for this?

I will always be grateful to Bill, as it was his recipes, his explanations, his linear methodology, and most of all his patience, that got me started DIYing. Like most things DIY, I have experimented... and kept some ideas, techniques, and ingredients... and discarded the rest that just didn't work for me. Being able to adapt, and personalize my mixing, to my needs/preferences, is what DIY is all about.:D
    I think we mostly all have at least one person we can say this about. It’s funny though because the main one who initially taught me a lot about DIY, I don’t like his recipes. I guess thats not what really matters though. You helped me a lot also! You’re very patient as I know you probably repeatedly explain the same content to so many just to help!

Also @NatashaTMT, that was a great recipe description!:thumb: That is how I remember Bill's chocolate recipes working for me too. If you ever feel like revisiting this one; you could lower the Double Chocolate Clear from 4% to 3%, and raise the Milk Chocolate from 5% to 6%. This would provide a 2% swing in favor of the milk chocolate, while maintaining the overall 9% chocolate presence (prior to overall delusion). (3.5% DCC & 5.5%MC; would provide a less aggressive 1% swing.;))
    Thanks, I appreciate that! I honestly believe DIY has been olfactory therapy for me. You may or may not recall me explaining, only a few months ago, that I can’t smell or taste well due to breaking my nose a couple times. It’s drastically improved and better all the time! So I’m thrilled I’m beginning to be able to taste juices more like everyone else. The fact that my description is spot on to yours confirms this.
    I might try your suggested chocolate switch up as I’ll be mixing for friends who really like it. Thanks for all your insight:)

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I know everyone taste differently but I’ve honestly never had any type of basil which was minty to me and I thought I’d tried most types.
    Ah well. It's not a $5+ flavor that's really on the top of my list anyway.

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm still vaping my gin. Despite the pine tree I'm rather enjoying it because it isn't too sweet. This mix does have WS-23 in it. Does anyone find that using the cooling agents helps to lessen sweetness? I never used koolada or WS-23 much at all but several of the new mixes I've done do include WS-23.

I don't vape anything without coolant - usually WS-23. I do mix for my son and his friends without coolants and don't notice much difference in sweetness with or without the cooling agent. It might lessen the impression of sweetness a bit since there is that cooling effect right up front. In my Fizzy Pink Lemonade, I like a little extra sweetener in the extra-cold version I make. Trial and error, I suppose, and subjective taste buds.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    FLV is almost to real for me. I generally mix it with CAP sweet mango. The real secret to mango isnt mango, its cantalope
    So glad you mentioned this. I knew something was missing and couldn't put my finger on it. As soon as you mentioned cantaloupe it made perfect sense. The syrupy sweetness of the flesh is an ideal mango boost. This the one ingredient missing from a recipe I've reworked 3 times now.

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Yes thank you for the reminder. It is minty.

Basil is a member of the mint family but the basil I grow isn't minty. Sometimes a little Anise flavor comes through but not much at all. It is naturally sweet, bright, delicious. I love basil! There are several types of basil and some do taste mintier than others. I think that basil flavors available for e-juice making lean more to the bright, sweet, clean California basil flavor.

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
    Oct 22, 2014
    Jenks, OK, USA
    So ever since I got home from work today I can't taste my vape at all. I thought maybe it was just that I've been vaping mostly apple for a week now, so I switched to RY4D and still nothing. It's like I'm vaping water. I get a little bit of smell if I blow out my nose but that's it.

I'd ask if I was using too much ethyl maltol but the RY4D mix doesn't have any in it. I suspect I have the vaper's tongue.

This is going to make it hard to test DIY mixes if my taste doesn't come back soon.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    Basil is a member of the mint family but the basil I grow isn't minty. Sometimes a little Anise flavor comes through but not much at all. It is naturally sweet, bright, delicious. I love basil! There are several types of basil and some do taste mintier than others. I think that basil flavors available for e-juice making lean more to the bright, sweet, clean California basil flavor.
    I’m thinking perhaps basils mint could be harder to pick up on in savoury recipes. Either that or I just couldn’t taste it with my olfactory issues. Now I know. Thanks!

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    So ever since I got home from work today I can't taste my vape at all. I thought maybe it was just that I've been vaping mostly apple for a week now, so I switched to RY4D and still nothing. It's like I'm vaping water. I get a little bit of smell if I blow out my nose but that's it.

I'd ask if I was using too much ethyl maltol but the RY4D mix doesn't have any in it. I suspect I have the vaper's tongue.

This is going to make it hard to test DIY mixes if my taste doesn't come back soon.
    I’ve heard minty or menthol vapes can help. I had it for about a day once. I switched over to unflavored juice. Taste started coming back midway through the next day. I tried too many strongly flavored mixes over a few days. I felt like that caused mine.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL

I till get vt on occasion. Mint or lemon vapes help me some.

Users who are viewing this thread