Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
When you say you "thin the tails out 90%" does that mean removing wick material or simply fluffing them out?
Sometimes, both. You want the wick packed tight in the coil, and if you have an RTA you need enough wick to block the juice from flooding the chamber. If you use a dripper, though, you really only need a very few, like sometimes half a dozen individual strands actually touching the deck for sufficient juice transport. The remaining 50-90% can be trimmed away right where it would otherwise bend downward toward the deck. Let me see if I can find you a picture of what I mean.

...(Edit) here is a good one from the Rayon thread:

Ah, I can’t make the image work on my phone but pictures are in the first post of this thread: Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Last edited:

smizak

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2018
Thanks y'all. I just fluffed it out and put a little bump on the coil ends and seems to be working well. I'm using a Smok TFV8 RBA/velocity style. I got some dry hits the last wicking when I pushed the tails straight down into the juice wells. I dig the pointed approach, will try that next.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

smizak

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2018

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thinning tails works (often times more with rayon) because you need your wick to have good capillary action. To thick tails will often wick less efficiently, leading to inconstant or even dry hits. A thinner wick allows the fibers to move juice to the coils more efficiently is how I understand it. Rayon shrinks when wet, so even more so, you want to be thinning, trimming on the diagonal etc. because you need your rayon tighter in the coil compared to cotton, so you will have more to trim.

I was fairly certain all my rayon builds would leak, but they didn't. Tight enough in the coil seems to do the trick. You'll get a sense for it. I use the stainless steel tweezers to thin and keep a finger on my coil so I don't pull the wick out. I will also often trim and thin AFTER I've moistened the wick with eliquid. It's messier, but it can work quite well.

Yeah, the LACK of leaking with rayon is absolutely SHOCKING. I was overwicking at first (my particular tendency) and the wick was breaking in the coil, so I had to consciously dial it back a bit, thinking the whole time, "This build's gonna leak" and it just didn't.

Best of luck,
Anna

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
[...] Rayon swells when wet [...]
Err...cotton expands when wet. Rayon, not so much, I thought. I was under the impression that that is why we pack it soo tight in the coil (hence, the need for thinning of the tails), because if anything, it actually compresses or perhaps just "settles" a bit once you juice it.

smizak

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2018
Thanks for the advice homies. I re-wicked and thinned the tails while keeping a bit just off the end of the coil. What a difference, had to crank up the power to handle the amount of juice getting to the coil. No leaking, huge clouds, huge flavor.

*Requisite Rick and Morty image for my buddy Anna posting in my thread [emoji16]*
e0fbd1fd656c5da52653a3e3afe5d9b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
When I install the wick in the coil the tails fan out after I cut them to just touch the deck. I trim the tails with scissors to match the width of the coil on all sides (top, bottom, left, and right). That seems to work fine for my 2.5mm coils. Air flow isn't restricted and there's plenty of juice feed for my 10W coils.

I suppose I could go smaller after listening to some describe their really thin tails.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread