Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
ok so I’m going to attempt my first build on the OBS nano and wicking and I’ll be using rayon. Just a note - this is my 1st time doing any building.

I’ve watched several videos on rayon wicking however most were on RDAs. On the few I saw using RTAs the tails were fluffed then split in two (top & bottom ;) At that point one of the 2 sections of tail was cut closely to the coil. The other half was placed into the deck hole.

Now one guy cut off the top part of the separated tail and fluffed it up to make a “shoulder”. The other guy cut the bottom half close the coil. Then obviously used what was remaining for the wicking in deck holes.

I’ve haven’t read about this type of trimming anywhere here so I wanted to ask if this is what I should be doing.

Other than that I think I understand using enough rayon until it squeaks when pulled and it makes the coils move slightly.

That’s it. I think. Thanks again as always <3

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't own the engine, but @Letitia (I think she uses cotton, but I bet her build experience might help you).

My "general" principles for rayon are very tight in the coil (but even *I* have managed to overstuff my coils, that's my favorite "repetitive mistake" apparently, wanting to overstuff my coil) but then thinning and trimming the wicks considerably. I find a thinner wick just wicks better, and I don't think you have to worry TOO much about leaking in an engine they tend to be rather hassle free. I thin using those "sharp" tweezers while holding on to my coil, and will take out at least of a third of the wick, progressively more once I'm sure I have enough to cover my airholes and etc., and I trim kind of "diagonal" up from the bottom of the wick so that everything sits nice and flush, especially if I want a little bit of "round" in my tails. But, these are just general principles not specific to the engine....

Hopefully Letitia or anyone loving the engine can give you a bit more insight. Good luck,

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I do prefer a shoulder on my Nano wicks with thinner tails. I use KGD and egyptian cotton and do not split my tails, I just thin the lower portion of tails. Haven't used rayon in ages so follow the recommended for handling it. I trim tails so they just tuck into the juice holes and my preferred coil size is a 3mm regardless of type. There is a large thread for the Nano started by ricks, might want to skim thru it for various build/wick techniques. Pretty versatile rta.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I don't own the engine, but @Letitia (I think she uses cotton, but I bet her build experience might help you).

My "general" principles for rayon are very tight in the coil (but even *I* have managed to overstuff my coils, that's my favorite "repetitive mistake" apparently, wanting to overstuff my coil) but then thinning and trimming the wicks considerably. I find a thinner wick just wicks better, and I don't think you have to worry TOO much about leaking in an engine they tend to be rather hassle free. I thin using those "sharp" tweezers while holding on to my coil, and will take out at least of a third of the wick, progressively more once I'm sure I have enough to cover my airholes and etc., and I trim kind of "diagonal" up from the bottom of the wick so that everything sits nice and flush, especially if I want a little bit of "round" in my tails. But, these are just general principles not specific to the engine....

Hopefully Letitia or anyone loving the engine can give you a bit more insight. Good luck,

Anna

Great thanks Anna!

Reactions: stols001

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I do prefer a shoulder on my Nano wicks with thinner tails. I use KGD and egyptian cotton and do not split my tails, I just thin the lower portion of tails. Haven't used rayon in ages so follow the recommended for handling it. I trim tails so they just tuck into the juice holes and my preferred coil size is a 3mm regardless of type. There is a large thread for the Nano started by ricks, might want to skim thru it for various build/wick techniques. Pretty versatile rta.

Thanks so much!

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Seems like you're on the right track. Rayon compresses when wet, contrary to cotton which fluffs. I usually cut tails flat and stuff em where they fit. No special angles and attention from me. I use bottom-fed RDAs, though, so your tank may need special details... de-tails... Yeah I said it lol

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Letitia

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
progressively more once I'm sure I have enough to cover my airholes

This is something I think I picked up by watching Vaping with Vic if I'm not mistaken. He does the same thing but just in a slightly different order. He will take the tails of the wick and put a little at a time into the wicking channel until the channels are loosely full. He will either cut some of the remaining wick away or just position it on top of the wicking channels if there is room. Kinda of a combination of wicking through the channels and damming the channels. Either order, it's a great technique IMHO. Good to see this shared.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
@Fidola13 how did it go?

One of the mistakes I made when I started using Rayon was thinning the tails way too much which resulted in flooding, leaking (well not in the Engine Nano), and spitback. Yuck.

With Rayon, I put more in the coil than I would with cotton. I remove some Rayon from the tails then I try to shape them so the tails match the width of the juice holes in the Engine Nano. It's not super precise but it gets the job done. Then I place the Rayon tails on top of the juice holes.

I've had problems in the past putting the tails all the way through the holes but lots of people do that and have no problems. Some even have the tails touching the bottom.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I've been using rayon for a long time now and still don't always get the perfect wick, but what I've noticed is when a wick isn't perfect, it still vapes amazingly well for a long time (unless it's way off, that is). But sometimes I just nail the density perfectly, and man when I do, it really sings. Right now I've got what I'd call a perfect wick in one atty, vaping on pistachio Ry4, and it tastes phenomenal and should vape well over 100ml without changing a beat.

My takeaway is even a subpar rayon wick destroys a perfect cotton wick. But that's just my opinion based on my own tastebuds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread