How Long Does Your Rayon Wick Last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentle Smoke

Jan 31, 2019
Forgive me but, I don't want to read through 2000 posts to find the answer. Last night I read a post that said his wick lasted 100 ml (I'll bet ya he changes his socks once a week). I am a rayon wicking novice but, I've got the basics down (tight in the coils, thin in the tails) and am wicking a Dead Rabbit RTA, 3mm id coils. Generally I get dripping wet clouds at the start but, 5 ml in and performance drops off. At this point my coils start to crackle so I'm assuming the rayon has shrunk. Just the same, how long does your wick last?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I always found it best to use more Rayon than if I was using cotton. Rayon does shrink during use, hense using more at the beginning. Because it seems to wick easier than cotton, I used plenty of volume in the tails (unlike you).

I never measured by liquid volume to gauge how long Rayon lasted compared to cotton. It just seemed to last longer than cotton did.

Having said that, I haven't used rebuildables much for a couple of years. I only use my dripper on the rare occasions I go to the vape shop to sample flavors.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
There are several ways to consider it. But the way I look at it, for the way I vape- I have to rebuild because the coil fouls and needs to be replaced or cleaned...before the wick reaches end of useful life anyway. So no matter what, both last as long as they need to.

Rayon has better heat resistance, but unless something goes wrong, that won't come into play. Rayon wicks more quickly & efficiently, because it has more linear, smoother fibers. But that has nothing to do with life, really. Because of of the structure of cotton, it kind of "filters" your juice more than rayon- which theoretically could actually prevent some of the tds or impurities from ever reaching the coil, and maybe keeping it cleaner longer.

Full disclosure: If all things were equal, I'd use rayon. But using mostly nets, I prefer the less "sharp" taste of cotton, and kgd is easier to work with and simply cut to size, rather than pulling apart the fibers of rayon, trying to be consistent. Just my $0.02. This could be vastly different for those that use unflavored/different flavors, or high wattages, or have other issues that would require wicks to be replaced before dry-firing or replacing the coil.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
30 mls/ day change wick and coil on Sunday's =210 mls,, ,+a few more days here there,

I vape a sugar cookie recipe without added sweetener @ 25-35watts 20-30 ohms vg/pg = 65/35 currently,, normally 50/50-i have a new tank-she's drunk so I am playing around to see if vg/pg makes a dif- I don't think it matters right now.

The frustrating part of this smm serpent,, ,is I'm not getting the advantage of the capacity I was aiming for... Still refilling just as often. -flavor is very good, but I had that before on my Griffin's

Rayon =no vapors tongue

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    There are several ways to consider it. But the way I look at it, for the way I vape- I have to rebuild because the coil fouls and needs to be replaced or cleaned...before the wick reaches end of useful life anyway. So no matter what, both last as long as they need to.

Rayon has better heat resistance, but unless something goes wrong, that won't come into play. Rayon wicks more quickly & efficiently, because it has more linear, smoother fibers. But that has nothing to do with life, really. Because of of the structure of cotton, it kind of "filters" your juice more than rayon- which theoretically could actually prevent some of the tds or impurities from ever reaching the coil, and maybe keeping it cleaner longer.

Full disclosure: If all things were equal, I'd use rayon. But using mostly nets, I prefer the less "sharp" taste of cotton, and kgd is easier to work with and simply cut to size, rather than pulling apart the fibers of rayon, trying to be consistent. Just my $0.02. This could be vastly different for those that use unflavored/different flavors, or high wattages, or have other issues that would require wicks to be replaced before dry-firing or replacing the coil.

I'm in your boat (so don't sink it :p)

When wicking with rayon I'm an extremely finicky wicker. Takes me forever to get it 'just right' - then due to my preference for sweet ejuice (I diy so at least have some control over the super sweet bottle) - I find my coil is crusty and I need to rewick and dry burn.

When wicking with cotton (kendo gold) it gets stuffed, fluffed and shoved. Takes me 2 minutes compared to 20 minutes with rayon. My coils get crusty no faster with cotton than they do with rayon, so I just pick the quickest option - cotton.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I have to rebuild because the coil fouls and needs to be replaced or cleaned...before the wick reaches end of useful life anyway.
    A "+1" for me, and @Brewdawg1181's experience. My coils crust and fail before my rayon does. I vape both flavored, and unflavored, DIY. And, though the duration may differ somewhat; it is always the coil that needs maintenance... not the wick.

Just out of curiosity... what rayon are you using? If you are using Graham Beauty CelluCotton (Sally Beauty Supply); note that it comes in both rayon, as well as cotton, versions. Only part numbers: 44040, 44043, 44060, 44130 are rayon (and without the paper reinforcement). If you are using one of the the others (cotton), you are likely wicking too much (choking the wick), and slowly drying out the wicks.

I know this from experience; because when I first went to try rayon, I bought a small 10ft. bag (#44145, which is cotton; not rayon ) from Sally's, and ended up with a similar experience. :facepalm:

:D

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2015
    Vienna
    Usually, the tighter you wick, the longer it will last, but the longer you will also have a break in taste.
    I usually change after 150-200ml of DIY fruit/berry stuff (no sweeteners; 50/50) and its actually never because of the Rayon. The coil is getting gunked up way before the Rayon goes bad.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    Weeks, or longer - and MUCH longer than cotton. I re-wick when the flavor seems to fall off or tastes odd. I just replaced the rayon wicks in a couple Recurve RDAs on my Pulse squonk mods. These mods sit on the coffee table and get used a LOT. I honestly could not remember the last time I had changed the wicks, and they still looked pretty good.

Really, the coils will cake up long before the wicks need replacement.

Gentle Smoke

Jan 31, 2019
    Well, I'm rewicking tighter and my wicks are lasting longer. However, it appears they can be too tight. Yesterday I rewicked four times. Dropped down to 2.5mm id and struck out bad. Quite feeble vape. Went back to 3mm id but, was getting major explosions. Finally settled on splitting my rope 50/50. Seems almost right but, it takes 1.5 ml of vaping to hit full speed. However, I do get a major pop after the mod has sat for a while. Wondering if its because I didn't space my coils adequately. Steep learning curve.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Well, I'm rewicking tighter and my wicks are lasting longer. However, it appears they can be too tight. Yesterday I rewicked four times. Dropped down to 2.5mm id and struck out bad. Quite feeble vape. Went back to 3mm id but, was getting major explosions. Finally settled on splitting my rope 50/50. Seems almost right but, it takes 1.5 ml of vaping to hit full speed. However, I do get a major pop after the mod has sat for a while. Wondering if its because I didn't space my coils adequately. Steep learning curve.

Popping generally comes from tiny gaps between the wick and the coil. So it means it's not tight enough. I had the same issue when starting with spaced coils - there's a tendency when using spaced coils to be too careful not to deform the coil, so you end up using too little wicking mat'l.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Tight in the coil, looser and fluffy in the tails seems to work for me.

If the rayon breaks in half inside the coil, it's too tight.

It is kind of a steep learning curve, but once you have it, you have it.

I rewick a fair amount but to be fair with the darn doggy style I have to like, LOOK at the wick which often looks AWFUL but is vaping just fine. With my Sirens and some others, I don't have to look at the wick and go "how is that possibly NOT disgusting?"

You have to work hard to rewick a lot with rayon though.... Etc.

Anna

Reactions: greek mule
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread