Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Yeah, my wife's pet name for me is "That's-not-funny". It must be a term of endearment.
She says it to me all the time. :evil:
Bahahah it's pretty funny to me lol!

Let us know how you like the Limitless Plus RDTA, I'm trying to control myself, must stop buying.... Really hard..... Justification is buying just in case of the vape apocalypse hehehe.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I've been trying to recover my old Photobucket account, so pics will be forthcoming. The main problem I've had is that my wicks either spit, flood, and leak, or are choked off and don't handle high VG juice or wattage much above 35. I've been struggling with this for weeks now.

To be short, sounds like you are ready to move on from that tank. Or make some modifications to it.. Alternatively maybe you just need to make changes more gently and methodically to fine tune it.

Exactly which subtank do you have.. A link to one maybe so I can see. It should be straight forward, but older models definitely still had limitations and many modded them for Vg.

Well I just spent the last 2 weeks trying KU rayon. I have not given up permantely atm, but I have went back to cotton.
I am a flavor chaser and I have two Mage RTA's in constant rotation using spaced coils. I get better flavor from them, YMMV.
I tried wicking them every way possible, trust me, I could list endless ways I tried.
After 2 weeks and rewicking several times/day on some days, here are my thoughts.

Better Flow- No, when I have a vape session, it didn't wick as fast as cotton did no matter the 101 ways I tried.

Flavor- No, it was slighltly muted. Which wasn't a bad thing. It let me vape some juice I had laying around that had some flavors that were not to my liking.

Longevity- Mute point as I vape sweet fruit flavors and need to dry burn my coils every 3-4 days and rewick anyways. But I will say that the wick was in much better condition than the cotton usually is.

I started searching the net and found the pbusardo wick test vid. It confirmed my intial thoughts that the cotton was wicking faster.

I'm gonna take a few days and do more research, but I will revisit the rayon again later.

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
IMO the PBus video was rigged from the start. When you wick cotton for optimal performance and then wick everything else like you did the cotton instead of wicking each type the way that performs best for that type then it's no wonder cotton wins. An average jockey on an average horse is going to beat the best jockey on a bum horse but that doesn't mean the second jockey isn't better. Not to mention his test doesn't account for pretty much any of the variables we encounter wicking atties. Power/heat and airflow do have an impact on how well your wick wicks especially with rayon.

IMO the PBus video was rigged from the start. When you wick cotton for optimal performance and then wick everything else like you did the cotton instead of wicking each type the way that performs best for that type then it's no wonder cotton wins. An average jockey on an average horse is going to beat the best jockey on a bum horse but that doesn't mean the second jockey isn't better. Not to mention his test doesn't account for pretty much any of the variables we encounter wicking atties. Power/heat and airflow do have an impact on how well your wick wicks especially with rayon.

My experience was similar so I can relate to his findings. The Mage RTA doesn't use much wicking material as the coils are low and not much higher than the liquid holes.
I have read all the great things about rayon, so when it wasn't working out for me, I figured I did something wrong. I read all the post; watched a lot of rayon wicking vids and even tried all kinds of my own ideas. It just didn't perform on my simple spaced coils as I had hoped.

My findings/results are what they are, I gave it my best, but haven't completely given up just yet.
I plan on finding other kinds of rayon and trying them also.

I don't believe his test were rigged. It was a simple test to test the wicking abilities of each media type against gravity.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
But at the same time he said they were almost the same, and the rayon wasn't wetted down yet like in normal vaping. It doesn't absorb it transports and needs to be wet first. Plus he only had rayon a week before the video was produced, he had limited experience working with it.

I can appreciate wanting to figure it out on your own.. I been there literally, next time come here and ask for some help before you give up, it's totally possible your missing something. Go back to your other wick for a while, just as I did when I first tried it.. When you come back to it is when you'll see what you were missing.

There's only one example of ku wicking online, pretty much, not many have it and it's different than the common Sally's. It doesn't need to be as tight as you'll see Sally's being installed.. Theres very few examples of wicking the mage in Google.

Really I'm a little surprised by your post. I would guess the issue was you didn't leave the juice ports open enough and unblocked, rayon needs a lot more open flow from the tank... Because it does vaporize juice much faster. If there's not enough flow from the tank the atty won't keep up with the Rayon. You should look at the wicks and think that's gonna leak.

Did you check coil density before you pulled these wicks?

A methodical troubleshooting works best. Otherwise your hitting extremes and not settling in. At any hint of a problem check the density first make sure it's not loose in the coil and not hard as a rock. Then ck the color of the tails, then trimming and thinning the tails more.

Regardless of juice you should be able to at least double the longevity. Next time you try it stop by so we can help you in real time.

IML8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2014
Oklahoma
I have read all the great things about rayon, so when it wasn't working out for me, I figured I did something wrong. I read all the post; watched a lot of rayon wicking vids and even tried all kinds of my own ideas. It just didn't perform on my simple spaced coils as I had hoped.

My findings/results are what they are, I gave it my best, but haven't completely given up just yet.
I plan on finding other kinds of rayon and trying them also.

Fair enough. We all know there is no uniform one-size-fits-all in the entire vaping universe. Our individual bias informs our opinions 99% of the time. I believe you belong to a tiny minority, but that doesn't invalidate your experience. Keep us apprised of your findings. As long as they're honest ones, I always find alternate views interesting even if I disagree with them.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
If I have learnt anything over the past 5 years, it's that we all experience vaping a little bit differently to everyone else. While everyone was touting the enormous benefits of cotton, I felt a lone voice saying I didn't like the taste. My factory coils all went cotton and I was beside myself thinking I was stuck with them. Then I was introduced to Cellucotton. For me, that rayon opened doors that cotton never could.

Rayon might not be your thing but you gave it a go and if curiosity strikes you again the folks here will help

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
If I have learnt anything over the past 5 years, it's that we all experience vaping a little bit differently to everyone else. While everyone was touting the enormous benefits of cotton, I felt a lone voice saying I didn't like the taste. My factory coils all went cotton and I was beside myself thinking I was stuck with them. Then I was introduced to Cellucotton. For me, that rayon opened doors that cotton never could.

Rayon might not be your thing but you gave it a go and if curiosity strikes you again the folks here will help
True.

I love rayon and my wife prefers cotton. Even if I try to sneak rayon in one her builds, she always tells me it tastes off.

She also hates my favorite juices and I don't really like hers.

To each their own.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
Provari is always overpriced with outdated tech. I used a zmax, better than Provari and only 40.00. Lol.. no pinkys here.
To be fair, ProVari had a flat DC signal when everyone else was 33.3hz. The Zmax (and VAMO) while more powerful and VV/VW don't vape anywhere near as smooth.

That said ProVari is now and always has been overpriced IMO.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
To be fair, ProVari had a flat DC signal when everyone else was 33.3hz. The Zmax (and VAMO) while more powerful and VV/VW don't vape anywhere near as smooth.

That said ProVari is now and always has been overpriced IMO.

Hmmm. Right now, Provaris are running 29.95 to 39.95. Just curious, but at what point would they not be overpriced? :)

CbrVapeRR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2014
Utah, USA
I've been trying to recover my old Photobucket account, so pics will be forthcoming. The main problem I've had is that my wicks either spit, flood, and leak, or are choked off and don't handle high VG juice or wattage much above 35. I've been struggling with this for weeks now.
I Vape max vg. Meaning I diy and only pg is flavor. Nic is 100% vg. If it leaks it's def a wicking issue. I Vape at 55 watts. .18 dual Clapton of course rayon filled. Even at 69 watts which is about 4.2 volts as a fresh 18650 would be, it vapes awesome!
But at the same time he said they were almost the same, and the rayon wasn't wetted down yet like in normal vaping. It doesn't absorb it transports and needs to be wet first. Plus he only had rayon a week before the video was produced, he had limited experience working with it.

I can appreciate wanting to figure it out on your own.. I been there literally, next time come here and ask for some help before you give up, it's totally possible your missing something. Go back to your other wick for a while, just as I did when I first tried it.. When you come back to it is when you'll see what you were missing.

There's only one example of ku wicking online, pretty much, not many have it and it's different than the common Sally's. It doesn't need to be as tight as you'll see Sally's being installed.. Theres very few examples of wicking the mage in Google.

Really I'm a little surprised by your post. I would guess the issue was you didn't leave the juice ports open enough and unblocked, rayon needs a lot more open flow from the tank... Because it does vaporize juice much faster. If there's not enough flow from the tank the atty won't keep up with the Rayon. You should look at the wicks and think that's gonna leak.

Did you check coil density before you pulled these wicks?

A methodical troubleshooting works best. Otherwise your hitting extremes and not settling in. At any hint of a problem check the density first make sure it's not loose in the coil and not hard as a rock. Then ck the color of the tails, then trimming and thinning the tails more.

Regardless of juice you should be able to at least double the longevity. Next time you try it stop by so we can help you in real time.
amen!

Last edited:

CbrVapeRR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2014
Utah, USA
To be choked off its to tight and or not properly primed. Flood/leak it's not wicked properly. I find a good spaced coil spits at first and then mellows out. The spit is telling you that you are getting juice to the coils..... Maybe a little trimming is in order. Check op

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I couldn't read all 200 + pages, but where can one purchase rayon? Thanks.

Read the very first post in this thread, tons of information there that will get you started with rayon.

Sally's Beauty Supply usually has Graham CelluCotton, known as "beauty coil", in stock. Just make sure it says 100% rayon on the package or box because there are various types of the same product.

Next is Kotex KU, the black box. This ne takes some prep work before use while the Graham is right-out-of-the-box ready to use.

The others, like DM, are available online.

Chuck64

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2015
NV. USA
Read the very first post in this thread, tons of information there that will get you started with rayon.

Sally's Beauty Supply usually has Graham CelluCotton, known as "beauty coil", in stock. Just make sure it says 100% rayon on the package or box because there are various types of the same product.

Next is Kotex KU, the black box. This ne takes some prep work before use while the Graham is right-out-of-the-box ready to use.

The others, like DM, are available online.
Thank You so much. I've just started rebuilding and am open to any new (to me) ideas.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Thank You so much. I've just started rebuilding and am open to any new (to me) ideas.

I think you're making a good choice if you use rayon in your first rebuilding attempts. Coils are really easy but wicking does take some finesse and practice. The key for me, using Graham, was listen for or feel a "squeak" as the rayon is pulled through the coil. That indicates enough density in the coil, itself, to wick in there properly. From there it's just a question of trimming the tails to suit the particular atomizer. You might want to invest in a decent pair of cuticle shears just for tail trimming.

Incidentally, there are Sally's stores in most larger towns and cities, very convenient and they also have cuticle shears :) and, no, I don't work for ally's or own any of their stock :lol:

Chuck64

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2015
NV. USA
T
I think you're making a good choice if you use rayon in your first rebuilding attempts. Coils are really easy but wicking does take some finesse and practice. The key for me, using Graham, was listen for or feel a "squeak" as the rayon is pulled through the coil. That indicates enough density in the coil, itself, to wick in there properly. From there it's just a question of trimming the tails to suit the particular atomizer. You might want to invest in a decent pair of cuticle shears just for tail trimming.

Incidentally, there are Sally's stores in most larger towns and cities, very convenient and they also have cuticle shears :) and, no, I don't work for ally's or own any of their stock :lol:

Thanks for the info. I live in Las Vegas so there shouldn't be a shortage of places to find it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread