Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I started using rayon last September. It was working very well. I went to the degummed hemp (because I like hemp) and worked with that for a number of months. It was going ok but I could never get the flavor or nic hit I was previously getting on my Vcore coil.(opening post of that thread) Then dice57 started talking about the rami he got and it looks and sounds to perform very similarly to rayon. So I pulled the hemp out of my oddy clone & replaced it with rayon and... Bam! absolutely pure flavor, with a major nic hit! Same coil same 12mg strength. Nic buzz.. Pure flavor like you've never tasted.

Rayon aka viscose is natural cellulose based man made fiber. The majority of bamboo yarn is viscose. The difference with this is that it's the loose fiber. I got it from a spring valley melatonin bottle last year. Some pill bottles have cotton some use rayon.

There is no flavor at all imparted by the rayon if wicked properly. It holds an incredible amount of juice and wicks it really fast. Rayon acts more as a transporter than an absorber like cotton. It wicks to and from itself very quickly and completely. You can vape a tank completely dry before you get a hint of a dry hit. At this point the ends of the wick can be starting to dry out as the liquid is transferred to the coil. It does act more like a pipe feeding your coil. I have not tasted my juice this pure since I last used rayon. Taste only juice in its purest form.

The saturation level it can achieve is incredible, without flooding. It is comparable to the saturation you can get with dripping. It wicks really fast. The vapor is very smooth off it. It is in straight long strands that are easy to work with. And seems much more forgiving on densities.

After using it off and on for 8 months; I feel confident in bringing it forward to the community. To try it, experiment with it compare, and post results. I will be providing background links to my past posts and experiences with it; for further information to those interested. I'm going to be using it more now and will be comparing it to cotton hemp and soon ramie. If the ramie can deliver what the rayon does in performance I will be converting.

I posted this thread In hopes of determining if this a good wick option for vapors... I have recently viewed posts about others using it, and would also like their thoughts on it. I have had no ill effects from it, dry hit is just as 'good' as any other wick I've used.. But you really don't want to dry hit it either.

Here's my latest rewick with the rayon.

null_zpsa0cc0f78.jpg

null_zps03ea273d.jpg

null_zps9bda2d80.jpg

null_zps320eaada.jpg

null_zps8767fce9.jpg

null_zps6aea637f.jpg

First puff - WOW ... Give it a try!

Posted from iphone

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I wouldn't touch this with my worst enemy's lungs, it's man made from cellulose polymers, & what ever else the manufacturer wants to put in, cotton, hemp & ramie are natural fibers

Your totally open to your own assessment bob and I respect that... Do you know how your nic is made, there are quite a few chemicals involved including kerosene in some processes. Depending on the manufacturer. Then add in possible contaminates.

Really its just cellulose extruded. It's really clean as far as I can tell.

I expected backlash on this.. for many it may be a stop gap or a trial before trying ramie. I can tell you loose rayon works a lot better than hemp and cotton for me.

The nic hit is incredible. For the first time in months I actually put my zmax down for a while because it's kicking like a 24mg.. And it's clearly a nic buzz.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
If someone wants current information on rayon. Here is a comprehensive overview.
Viscose rayon - the oldest man made fiber - versatile fiber yarn

Where can you get rayon other than out of a pill bottle? Everything I've found so far seems to be a polyester blend.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

I found this supplier for loose rayon; but not in small quanitities.
http://www.mielkesfiberarts.com/manmadef.htm

they also have ramie and a number of others for your experimentation.. I'll be testing ramie soon to compare. if your going to order something, at this point I would recommend ordering ramie if you want this Type Of performance from a wick. That tencel top looks good though. It's supposed to be lyocell a better type of rayon made with a nontoxic process. This article/ad outlines some problems with traditional rayon and how the lyocell is cleaner.

https://www.patagonia.com/pdf/en_US/bamboo_rayon.pdf

I had researched this before with out finding much, but just came across this mention that the smoke may Be a little hazardous. Typically though you do not burn the rayon because you keep it wet... Burn test description - http://www.teonline.com/knowledge-centre/fabric-identification.html

This statement would make one want to get ramie as it is a natural degummed fiber, and from what I hear it provides very similar performance to the rayon. Looking forward to checking it out. Because it would be a safer alternative.

Last edited:
Reactions: bnrkwest

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Ok this rayon works really good when you wick it well. Incredible nic hit. It can only be nic hit because it's not burned at all. As long as you do not get a dry hit and burn the wick it's just as safe as any. I boiled mine & rinsed, no residue visable. However there is evidence that burning it is not good, and a burnt dry hit is always a possibility. But a dry hit of vg is not good either it produces a toxin.

So make your choice if you think your good enough with your vaping to be able to use this properly give it a try. I would not recommend a beginner to try this! It does need to be the right density and tightness on the coil. When you get it right you will have no taste of the wick, crazy saturation, and nic buzz quick. A hint of taste is not burning it. A full out complete dry hit will.

Here's a wick I pulled out , no scorching no danger.
null_zpsd275ee54.jpg

Reactions: thetrucker

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
This is a protank head I did. Best performance & flavor I've got on this pro 1 in the last year.

null_zps4513a7c4.jpg

Over wick by making another wick same size put the end in the slots, put the chimney on hold the bottom wick and pull it throught till it gets resistance. This way it's not too thick in the overwick and you'll have plenty of flow.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Realize degumming any fiber involves the use of caustic chemicals. This includes hemp and ramie. The reports of the smoke from rayon being slightly hazardous needs more research. Obviously you don't want it to smoke you just want it to transport your juice. It's recommended for advanced users for this reason. Those that understand a dry hit sign and can keep it wet.

My initial use of rayon was as feeder wicks for a cotton core external wraped coil. So there was no risk of the coil even touching the rayon. But it wicked like crazy and have the same
Super saturated coil and major nic buzz to boot.

Last edited:

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
Your totally open to your own assessment bob and I respect that... Do you know how your nic is made, there are quite a few chemicals involved including kerosene in some processes. Depending on the manufacturer. Then add in possible contaminates.

Really its just cellulose extruded. It's really clean as far as I can tell.

I expected backlash on this.. for many it may be a stop gap or a trial before trying ramie. I can tell you loose rayon works a lot better than hemp and cotton for me......

No backlash intended Jeremy, looked at rayon a few months ago, in a burn test, it almost melts, that scared the .... out of me.
As one who buys USP VG and Nic, and makes all his own e-juice and used hemp exclusively, I fear what may be included in a non regulated manufacturing process.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Hey Steve, I installed internet for a lady at her alpaca farm and the fiber looked interesting. And spoke to her a bit about it, didn't mention wicking to her though. I'm guessing it would ultimately melt like hair. But didn't get her to give me a bit to test.

Hey bobc no problem man. I am the same way, diy vg hemp ect. But I can not overlook the performance I get with rayon. And I'm trying to find equal performance from something else. I'm starting to think it has more to do with strand orientation than the rayon itself. I will go into that later... The "rayon" may have been blended with poly that's why it melted.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
No backlash intended Jeremy, looked at rayon a few months ago, in a burn test, it almost melts, that scared the .... out of me.

Have you Compared it to how cotton burns? cotton shows the same effect when you burn it. I just tried both. They are the same shrinking look when they burn. Rayon will smell like paper when it burns and leave a grey ash that's very light. cotton ash is a little darker and heavier.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I think I'm going to possibly end up trying the lyocell/ new rayon called TENCEL Manufactured with no environmental impact. Though it's no like the standard rayon is going to give off toxins when just wicking with. It will not burn or smoke when damp.

Man-Made Fibers - Mielke's Fiber Arts

I'm on the first day with ramie. I've got a good performing coil with it but so far its not close to rayon. I will be working with it for a while. Right now I have to tester evods, one with ramie and one with rayon. Ramie in my oddy tank. The rayon is killing it so far. Will report back updates as I test and compare them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread