Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Are these tanks good performing? I’m looking to buy my first RTA and I know kayfun are well regarded and there is some quality clones out. I’ve seen the 3F one is that a good one? Anyone else have one I should be looking at? Also it is a good tank for a beginner? I’ve vaped a long time and have rebuilt the old protank coils so I have some experience. I want a single coil high capacity tank that is easy to build. I figure the toughest part is getting the wicking right. Am I correct in this assumption? Lots of questions, I’m a sponge so give me some answers, recommendations, advice, thoughts, what ya got ECF?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I have a SMJY Kayfun 5 clone, performs well and is a tasty vape. Just too restricted for me, keep it around I ever want to revisit a tighter draw rta. I personally don't like building it, deck is rather small. Attractive tank and looks good on about any device. If you get one carefully count the o-rings before using and when reassembling. Lot of parts compared to my usual rtas.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I ordered this KF v5.2 from Fasttech. Should arrive next week. Haven't been able to find any extra glass that size to order for it though.

$16.24 V5 Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 5-6ml / 316 stainless steel + glass / 25.5mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
9617324-2.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Are these tanks good performing? I’m looking to buy my first RTA and I know kayfun are well regarded and there is some quality clones out. I’ve seen the 3F one is that a good one? Anyone else have one I should be looking at? Also it is a good tank for a beginner? I’ve vaped a long time and have rebuilt the old protank coils so I have some experience. I want a single coil high capacity tank that is easy to build. I figure the toughest part is getting the wicking right. Am I correct in this assumption? Lots of questions, I’m a sponge so give me some answers, recommendations, advice, thoughts, what ya got ECF?
I would call the kayfun 5 a horrible choice for a first rta.
It’s got a tiny difficult to use build deck with particularly touchy wicking, it’s in this sort of nether region between MTL and DL draw wise that leaves neither group happy, and it’s literally THE most complicated RTA ever invented.

The only reason I can think of to recommend this as a first RTA is if you want them to give up and keep buying coils. It CAN be made to work and the people who can do it (which do not include myself. I bought one and gave up on the thing) do seem to love it but I implore you to pick just about anything else.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I would call the kayfun 5 a horrible choice for a first rta.
It’s got a tiny difficult to use build deck with particularly touchy wicking, it’s in this sort of nether region between MTL and DL draw wise that leaves neither group happy, and it’s literally THE most complicated RTA ever invented.

The only reason I can think of to recommend this as a first RTA is if you want them to give up and keep buying coils. It CAN be made to work and the people who can do it (which do not include myself. I bought one and gave up on the thing) do seem to love it but I implore you to pick just about anything else.

The version he is talking about 25.5 mm. Much larger than the regular KF 5. Deck is larger

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’m trying to think what I would recommend instead. The only tank I’ve got that I think would make a d cent beginner atty is the pharoh25. It’s not perfect. It doesn’t hold a lot of juice, it’s single coil only (do not believe the multi coil claims they are false) so it won’t produce giant vapor the way a double coil will, worse it requires a short coil. Maybe 6 wraps max. Also there’s no see through window.
However; it’s particuly forgiving wicking wise, and it’s the most leak resistant tank I’ve ever used. I use it as my out and about device and feel comfortable leaving it in a jacket pocket and forgetting about it.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I’ve always considered myself a MTL vaper but after hearing the term restrictive pull or whatever the term is that is probably more accurate to describe my vaping style. I do both, sometimes taking a max 5 second pull but I keep the airflow closed as much as possible generally. After examining the kayfun closer it does look kinda complex but as stated I wanted the 5.2 which is bigger. What about a OBS engine Nano, I think it’s 5+mls, or the Zeus, it seems Popular. Or maybe a RDTA? Those any good? At least 4-4.5ml’s but 5+ preferred, single coil, top fill, easy to work with and wick. Up to 30-32mm’s is fine. What tanks should I be looking at? Thanks for the help so far, best place in the world for vape support, I’d be lost without ecf’s collective knowledge.:vapor::toast:
Digiflavor siren? Looks interesting? Y’all like that one?

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I’ve always considered myself a MTL vaper but after hearing the term restrictive pull or whatever the term is that is probably more accurate to describe my vaping style. I do both, sometimes taking a max 5 second pull but I keep the airflow closed as much as possible generally. After examining the kayfun closer it does look kinda complex but as stated I wanted the 5.2 which is bigger. What about a OBS engine Nano, I think it’s 5+mls, or the Zeus, it seems Popular. Or maybe a RDTA? Those any good? At least 4-4.5ml’s but 5+ preferred, single coil, top fill, easy to work with and wick. Up to 30-32mm’s is fine. What tanks should I be looking at? Thanks for the help so far, best place in the world for vape support, I’d be lost without ecf’s collective knowledge.:vapor::toast:
You can manage a restricted draw from the Engine Nano but not from the Zeus imo. Even with af 75% shut down Zeus is kind of airy. The Crius 2 could do a loose restricted draw but only 3.5ml capacity. I enjoy all three, but the Nano is still my favorite. All three are easy to build and wick, but every rta has a quirk or two. I like it simple so if I can manage them anyone can. The Ammit is popular as well.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Digiflavor siren? Looks interesting? Y’all like that one?
Basically all the RDTAs are DL. I think the obs stuff is too. Can’t speak to the rest

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
You can manage a restricted draw from the Engine Nano but not from the Zeus imo. Even with af 75% shut down Zeus is kind of airy. The Crius 2 could do a loose restricted draw but only 3.5ml capacity. I enjoy all three, but the Nano is still my favorite. All three are easy to build and wick, but every rta has a quirk or two. I like it simple so if I can manage them anyone can. The Ammit is popular as well.
I briefly looked at the Ammit, I’ll have to check it out proper. Also the Kylin seems nice, what’s the experience with that? Easy wicking? Leak prone or no? So many choices I may have to just choose and go with one. My credit card is on hiatus until I pay it down next month so I have a couple weeks to research.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
There are actually quite a lot of good rta's out now, don't get in too big a hurry to decide. Maybe edit the thread title to restricted draw rta.
Restricted draw, not pull, thanks that’s what it’s called. Good advice, will do

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If the engine nano would work for you it is one of the darling tanks available right now. Supposed to be very leak resistant. I’ve had to talk myself out of buying one twice... damn now I gotta do it again.. I do NOT need another tank damnit. I’ve got bunches I don’t use..

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I briefly looked at the Ammit, I’ll have to check it out proper. Also the Kylin seems nice, what’s the experience with that? Easy wicking? Leak prone or no? So many choices I may have to just choose and go with one. My credit card is on hiatus until I pay it down next month so I have a couple weeks to research.
I would skip the Kylin and look at the new mini Kylin single coil. 3 or 5ml option and so far the few that have it aren't having the seepage issues the dual has. I can't remember which is the better Ammit. I'll check tomorrow, need to get to bed so I can get up for work in the morning.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
If the engine nano would work for you it is one of the darling tanks available right now. Supposed to be very leak resistant. I’ve had to talk myself out of buying one twice... damn now I gotta do it again.. I do NOT need another tank damnit. I’ve got bunches I don’t use..
It’s on the list right now, have to double check but it ticks quite a few boxes.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I would skip the Kylin and look at the new mini Kylin single coil. 3 or 5ml option and so far the few that have it aren't having the seepage issues the dual has. I can't remember which is the better Ammit. I'll check tomorrow, need to get to bed so I can get up for work in the morning.
Thanks, I have to look closer at some of these tanks. I see mini or nano and usual skip right by but 5ml isn’t mini in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread