Restricted draw/high capacity RTA/RDTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirus

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
It’s on the list right now, have to double check but it ticks quite a few boxes.
First of all, what have you been using?

I just got a Zeus, but if I didn't it was going to be the Engine Nano. I use my Zeus with about the same draw or a little more as my Tobeco KFv5 clone, which I used exclusively for 1.5 years. I don't think it was complicated at all. I thought it was until I broke it down, but it's really not that bad. The only downside was having to change o-rings regularly to prevent seeping and it produced a lot of condensation. All that screwing and unscreweing wears out the o-rings so because of the condensation the seeping sneaks up on you til finally you realize it's o-ring time....again. Unlike a previous poster, I found it extremely forgiving to wick. Never had a dry hit and it never leaked. Not once. That's why I went with the Zeus as well. I cannot stand seeping/leaking.

The jury is still out but maybe research the innokin Ares? I just ordered one today. Sounds like a great first rta though, all reviews say so. Easy to build, wick, fill, and has a lot of airflow settings. Said to be restrictive DL, which is what I personally would consider the KFv5 to be.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
First of all, what have you been using?

I just got a Zeus, but if I didn't it was going to be the Engine Nano. I use my Zeus with about the same draw or a little more as my Tobeco KFv5 clone, which I used exclusively for 1.5 years. I don't think it was complicated at all. I thought it was until I broke it down, but it's really not that bad. The only downside was having to change o-rings regularly to prevent seeping and it produced a lot of condensation. All that screwing and unscreweing wears out the o-rings so because of the condensation the seeping sneaks up on you til finally you realize it's o-ring time....again. Unlike a previous poster, I found it extremely forgiving to wick. Never had a dry hit and it never leaked. Not once. That's why I went with the Zeus as well. I cannot stand seeping/leaking.

The jury is still out but maybe research the Innokin Ares? I just ordered one today. Sounds like a great first RTA though, all reviews say so. Easy to build, wick, fill, and has a lot of airflow settings. Said to be restrictive DL, which is what I personally would consider the KFv5 to be.
Ive been using the original crown tank. Factory coils, not the rba. Great tank and I have no complaints I just want to try an RTA. Before the crown I used the triton for a few months and before that was the kanger protank. I used to rebuild the protank coils so I have some experience rebuilding although a different experience from today’s rebuildables. Also I use 50/50 juice if that makes a difference. Maybe some tanks wick better with a thinner juice being half pg?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You briefly mentioned the Siren V2, I have one and with the airflow, you can definitely do a restricted lung hit, and it's one of the easier RTAs I have set up. Some folks do not like the flavor/draw, I do (although I find it shines best with stronger fruit flavors). The Aries is another "MTL" RTA where some folks feel the air diffuser isn't restricted enough and is getting good reviews for flavor and usability, but IMO that would qualify as a restricted lung device with a very easy setup. There were some early reports of seeping/condensation but those seem to have been resolved.

I built my first coil on a dual coil deck called "the Russian 3.0 which was very similar to some of the Kayfun models (more complicated than my car, and more parts, probably) and a tiny, tiny build deck. It took me a LONG time to get it operation and in some ways I'm glad I decided to go ahead and build it first (I had a Coppervape Hussar Clone on the way-- quite versatile, if you are interested, and will not break the bank, you can use an airflow reducer for MTL, and it has many options (single or dual coil deck, I went with the single) and it's a nice, versatile build that comes with many different tank options. I still like it, but I'd agree that some of the Kayfuns may not be your best option, although maybe one or two of them might be, but they do tend to be smaller decks, due to width.

So, yeah, I learned a lot doing it the "hard" way, but something a bit less expensive and user-friendly might not go amiss, that and depending on which version of the Kayfun you land on you may love, or hate, the airflow options.

Best of luck deciding...

Anna

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I’ll have to research the ijoy exo I haven’t looked at that one yet. I do like the looks of the siren so I’m happy to hear it’s easy to build on. I think for now I’ll wait to get a kayfun clone, seems there are better tanks out there for me and once I’m a proficient builder I could always get one then. So many good choices and so little money, lol. Thank you everyone for the suggestions thus far and my next questions are gonna be wire and cotton, coiling tools, ohm readers, but that’s for another thread.

MartinD

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2017
I have Siren v2 and Berserker and my opinion is that Berserker is way to better.Siren is easy to build but you will have problems with spitting,dry hits from time to time.It's tricky to wick it properly.And I can only vape fruits on it,for every other juice I'm using Berserker.But Berserker have much tighter draw and You cannot do restrictive directlung hits with it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have never had one instance of spitting or dry hits on the Siren V2. I did with the Berserker on the 4 ml setup (I use the 2 ml). I agree that the flavor is fantastic on the Berserker, but the airflow is really not what the OP wants. I don't have the Ares, but the Siren V2 has been my easiest, fastest setup to date. I like it so much I got the 24 ml version and the 22 ml version, ,and I love both of them.... I really am quite pleased with flavor when I use the juices where it shines best.... :)

I will say I use rayon, and I have so much less wick issues with it (as well as ease of wicking) I'd really recommend at least trying it even if you wind up feeling you prefer cotton. I tried cotton first and there will be no going back to it, although there are those folks that prefer cotton, but I am not one of them. Longer wicking life with rayon as well.... It doesn't gunk quite as fast.

Anna

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
Suggestions for newer RTAs in the MTL arena and MY opinion on them:
  • Berserker - Winner and a tight MTL draw is absolutely possible
  • Siren 22mm - GTA tank with good reviews by many. It didn't match the Berserker for my style
  • Cthulhu Hastur - GTA tank and many options for air inserts under the coil, dial in to your preferred style. 24mm deal breaker for me. Waiting for a 22mm version
  • Ares - GTA also, I haven't tried and won't because of reviews I trust that compare the airiness to more than the Prime
There are also some high-end options (with available clones)
  • Hussar - Winner but don't care for the JFC personally
  • Skyline - Many, many love this RTA
  • Dvarw - very nice and affordable. No AFC though
  • Kayfun Prime - Too airy for MY style
Old classics that are a bit harder to find (or very hard to find) but absolutely stand the test of time for MTL:
  • KFL
  • Spheroid
  • Erlkonigin
  • Gem V1
  • Prometey (all versions)
  • Gus Zest V1 or Phenomenon Lite

TDC123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2014
The Blue Grass State, USA
I think you're intentions are good here but possibly your criteria are hard to meet without sacrificing flavor. Single coil attys with small chambers don't generally come with really high juice capacities.

While you can get a restricted draw from the Crown (A great tank BTW) it's not a MTL tank and I will proceed with that in mind.

Single coil RDTA's or RDA's with small chambers, short or no chimneys and typically very modest ejuice capacity are at the very top for flavor. Somewhere between .5 and 1 ohm is the sweet spot. Every RDTA I have used that had a larger capacity had a larger deck that required duals to produce acceptable vapor. Sure there are a few single coil tanks that are ok but on this end of the heat spectrum a single coil RDTA or RDA shines for best flavor. Decks are easy. Wicking is easy. I think this is your best option. Worthy contenders are...

Geek Vape Avocado 24 RDTA
Omier Wasp Nano RDTA
Wotofo Serpent RDTA

I know, they don't meet your criteria but I've had many RDTA's and for what seems to be your vaping style these three are excellent flavor producers. Each has it's quirks but each is worth living with those quirks.

If you want that juice capacity bad enough to give up a little flavor then the Kanger sub tank mini with an RBA deck works very well. It's now very affordable and may be a smooth transition for you in a family of products you are already familiar with. Plus the OCC coils are descent and you have a tank you can learn on and vape with factory coils. It can do fairly restricted draws with high ohm coils and flavor is ok. You can also punch harder with it if you want.

The OBS Engine Nano is also a good option. It's also middle of the road for flavor but pretty good and better than most when setup right. It's leak proof and easy to build on. I have 4 and they get used a lot here. With a reasonable coil say .3 to .7 ohms it can last most of the day and is super easy to fill. It's a real winner in an ocean of mediocrity.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I was kinda hoping for a single coil with a large deck because my eyesight ain’t what it used to be and I hate working on tiny things.
That hurricane tank is more than I want to spend.
I’m kinda leaning toward the Exo, siren v2, beserker, and now considering the engine nano. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help.
I think the next time I order from fasttech I might pick up a clone kayfun 5.2 for ....s and giggles being it’s fairly cheap. I’m waiting to buy until next month sometime so anyone reading this feel free to offer your suggestions and thoughts. I’ll make a decision a few seconds before pressing place order button, I have so much stuff in carts at all the different vape shops. When I’m ready to buy I throw the stuff I’ve changed my mind on out and place order. And I get daily emails from all the places saying you forgot something, I think they’re just mad I left a shopping cart full of products just sitting in an aisle getting in the way of all the other shoppers. Lol

Last edited:

Gallant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Dec 4, 2013
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    And I get daily emails from all the places saying you forgot something, I think they’re just mad I left a shopping cart full of products just sitting in an aisle getting in the way of all the other shoppers. Lol
    Lucky you
    Most places auto remove them from the cart if you don't complete your order in 24 hrs.

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Any1 using the Hastur MTL RTA from Cthulhu. Nice looking tank just wish it had more capacity. I think it’s only 4ml. How about the manta tank? I think that’s 4.5, anybody using that and liking it? So many choices it’s tough to decide. I only use one tank so it wouldn’t make sense for me to get more than that. It would just sit and collect dust. I liked my triton but when I got the crown tank the triton was doomed. For that matter I have a couple protanks stuffed in a box with 2 zmaxs wasting away. Well this stuff don’t cost that much so I guess it isn’t so bad. Decisions decisions

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    I was kinda hoping for a single coil with a large deck because my eyesight ain’t what it used to be and I hate working on tiny things.
    That hurricane tank is more than I want to spend.
    I’m kinda leaning toward the Zeus, siren v2, beserker, and now considering the engine nano. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help.
    I think the next time I order from fasttech I might pick up a clone kayfun 5.2 for ....s and giggles being it’s fairly cheap. I’m waiting to buy until next month sometime so anyone reading this feel free to offer your suggestions and thoughts. I’ll make a decision a few seconds before pressing place order button, I have so much stuff in carts at all the different vape shops. When I’m ready to buy I throw the stuff I’ve changed my mind on out and place order. And I get daily emails from all the places saying you forgot something, I think they’re just mad I left a shopping cart full of products just sitting in an aisle getting in the way of all the other shoppers. Lol
    Hey @madstabber, I sent you a PM.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread