RM2 / RBA 2.0 / Reomizer 2 Rebuild Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcyprojects

Verified Member
May 6, 2013
Los Angeles
My current set up for the RM2 is with a SS Mesh wick with a 4 wrap 28g kanthal coming out at around 1.4 ohms which I wrapped using a 1/6th drill bit.

It has really great vape production but I'm getting a really bad taste of that BBQ/Burnt taste in all my flavors from this. Should I revert to silica wick? cus I don't know if I want to use cotton.

CtwOe63.jpg

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
My current set up for the RM2 is with a SS Mesh wick with a 4 wrap 28g kanthal coming out at around 1.4 ohms which I wrapped using a 1/6th drill bit.

It has really great vape production but I'm getting a really bad taste of that BBQ/Burnt taste in all my flavors from this. Should I revert to silica wick? cus I don't know if I want to use cotton.

CtwOe63.jpg

No need to suffer through it if you don't like the taste. I never had much success with mesh so I'm probably not much help, byt maybe its running too hot, not getting enough juice, or you might have a short.

If you have silica give it a go, or better yet, slide out that mesh and slip in some rolled cotton. You really have nothing to lose. If you don't like it just take it out and try something else. But really, its a shame to have a bad tasting vape from such an awesome device.

marcyprojects

Verified Member
May 6, 2013
Los Angeles
I never had ANY luck with SS Mesh. I love my cotton. I'm with hildicat....replace it with something. You wouldn't even have to re-coil it or remove it....just slide the mesh out and slide something else in. If you use cotton, be sure to saturate it before you fire it.

I've never had experience with cotton wick. Do I just use any type of cotton? Like I have the Q-tips I can just peel the cotton off. How many puffs can you get when you squonk? Cus I read that if it's dry it burns really easily and have to replace it. I don't want to be out somewhere and I burn it and can't use the mod til I get home and get more cotton to replace it.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan

The burnt taste is because there's not enough juice on it. SS mesh needs to be almost dripping with juice to taste good.

If you don't like cotton, silica is a good alternative. Ecowool and Nextel is better, I hear, though I've never tried yet. I did recently learn that a trick with silica is to torch it before wrapping a coil.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
I've never had experience with cotton wick. Do I just use any type of cotton? Like I have the Q-tips I can just peel the cotton off. How many puffs can you get when you squonk? Cus I read that if it's dry it burns really easily and have to replace it. I don't want to be out somewhere and I burn it and can't use the mod til I get home and get more cotton to replace it.

Any undyed cotton will do. Cotton balls work very well, so does cheese cloth, cotton yarn, and bamboo thread. It does dry burn easy, but, luckily, you can't flood the reomizer. So you can keep drowning it every few puffs until you get the hang of it.

When threading cotton through the coil, make sure it's loose enough to move freely. It will expand a lot when wet.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
And yes...you can use the cotton from a Q-tip if that's what you have. Then if you like it, get some organic cotton balls (I get mine from Walgreens.) Unwind some and roll it between your fingers into a string. It'll need to be big enough around to loosely fill the space vacated by the mesh, but it needs to be small enough that you can easily thread it through the coil. It'll expand quite a bit when it's wet. Make one end of the string pretty pointed so that you can thread it through the coils, pull it on through the other side, then clip off both ends. I hardly leave any tail at all. Then saturate it with juice. Squonk a few times, and if you have your bottle of juice handy you might squeeze a drop or two on top of it.....just the first time. After it's saturated, vape with it. You'll know when to squonk, and it won't burn as long as you keep it wet....just like any wick.

If it tastes a little "cotton-y" the first couple of draws, it'll go away quickly. I'm thinking you'll love it.....I do.

Last edited:

marcyprojects

Verified Member
May 6, 2013
Los Angeles
And yes...you can use the cotton from a Q-tip if that's what you have. Then if you like it, get some organic cotton balls (I get mine from Walgreens.) Unwind some and roll it between your fingers into a string. It'll need to be big enough around to loosly fill the space vacated by the mesh, but it needs to be small enough that you can easily thread it through the coil. It'll expand quite a bit when it's wet. Make one end of the string pretty pointed so that you can thread it through the coils, pull it on through the other side, then clip off both ends. I hardly leave any tail at all. Then saturate it with juice. Squonk a few times, and if you have your bottle of juice handy you might squeeze a drop or two on top of it.....just the first time. After it's saturated, vape with it. You'll know when to squonk, and it won't burn as long as you keep it wet....just like any wick.

If it tastes a little "cotton-y" the first couple of draws, it'll go away quickly. I'm thinking you'll love it.....I do.

Awesome, I'll test it out tonight! Thanks for all the tips.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Awesome, I'll test it out tonight! Thanks for all the tips.

If you like it at all and would like to try some other cottons (crochet thread, embroidery thread, yarn) or some bamboo, PM me and I'll send you some samples. Also I'll send some organic cotton balls. I have SOOOO much, and it'll give you a chance to try some different wicks.

Jan

Sterno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2010
Oklahoma City
www.reosmods.com
If you like it at all and would like to try some other cottons (crochet thread, embroidery thread, yarn) or some bamboo, PM me and I'll send you some samples. Also I'll send some organic cotton balls. I have SOOOO much, and it'll give you a chance to try some different wicks.

Jan

does bamboo give a good flavor ?

marcyprojects

Verified Member
May 6, 2013
Los Angeles

Jan

I just tried it with cotton and it's great! I can really taste the pure flavor. No need to send me any samples - what do you think is the best type of cotton though?

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
I think organic cotton balls are great. The regular cottonballs that i used previously had a strong perfume taste especially for the first few minutes of vaping on a new wick. Walgreens carries organic cotton balls called "Studio 35.” Regular cotton growing is one of the biggest polluters of the enviroment in the agricultural segment. After its harvested its also treated with many harsh chemicals. I think the organic cotton tastes much better and is safer for vaping.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
^^^Exactly the ones I use -- Studio 35. I get mine at Walgreens. Also, any 100% cotton crocket or embroidery thread or yarn will work....you might just want to "play" awhile. Besides the organic cotton balls, my other favorite is DMC-5 Embroidery Thread and I get it at either Michael's or Hobby Lobby. People use 100% cotton gauze, rolled cotton (bandages), cheesecloth, etc.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
does bamboo give a good flavor ?

Actually, Scott, I can't really tell the difference between bamboo and cotton. I'll send you some so you can try it out, okay? Also, do you have organic cotton balls? Wanna try that, too?

(P.S. This goes for ANYONE who is curious about cotton/bamboo/hemp wicks.....I'll send you some FREE SAMPLES. Just PM me.)

Jan

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Actually, Scott, I can't really tell the difference between bamboo and cotton. I'll send you some so you can try it out, okay? Also, do you have organic cotton balls? Wanna try that, too?

(P.S. This goes for ANYONE who is curious about cotton/bamboo/hemp wicks.....I'll send you some FREE SAMPLES. Just PM me.)

Jan

:wub:..............................

Sterno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2010
Oklahoma City
www.reosmods.com

Jan

thanks hon would love to try some bamboo :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread