Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Awesome. Just to clarify, it's the cotton balls that sells anywhere?

Also I couldn't really find the 14 gauge lock needle anywhere so ordered from amazon... 50 pieces... :p

I got the sterile rolled cotton from CVS pharmacy. I imagine you could use a cotton ball too but I have heard that some of them have some distasteful chemicals on them? Dunno.

Wizard labs has the needles very cheap. I just ordered some 16 gauge too to make smaller bore coils too :)

xxbodkinxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2013
Texas
I got the sterile rolled cotton from CVS pharmacy. I imagine you could use a cotton ball too but I have heard that some of them have some distasteful chemicals on them? Dunno.

Wizard labs has the needles very cheap. I just ordered some 16 gauge too to make smaller bore coils too :)

At the local drug store here I picked up 100% organic cotton balls. The regular ones I heard are processed with alot of chemicals. No odd tastes here just a little cotton flavor from the 1st few vapes.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I get my 100% Organic cotton balls from Walgreens. They're "Studio 35 Beauty" and they're either in the make-up section or the bandages section. (I've found them both places.) If you can't find organic, then just 100% cotton will work, and they're everywhere. Just pull off a tiny piece and roll it between your fingers into a "string" and slide it right through. It'll expand a LOT, so do use too much.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Here is a photo tutorial of a very easy way to build the RM2. Many of the principals would apply to any bottomfed RBA. Props to Juice Junkies photo tutorial on the original REOmizer for simplifying the process and giving me the courage to try it for myself. For me the photos work so much better than videos, cause you can look at the same one as long as you have to to understand it. It is going to be a sequence of posts, since my coil building skills are much better than my picture posting ones :). I have also discovered a neat little trick that makes installing the rolled cotton wick even easier... (it was already easy).
Here goes:

Here are the tools i use:

View attachment 205743

It's already been said but I'm gonna repeat it....a picture is worth a thousand words. Great tutorial, thanks for posting.

I've been using a similar method on my reduxes, drunker, and dream 804s for a while now.

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
Nice post!

I have been using a 4-40 machine screw to wrap my coils. Find they make nice coils that don't touch each other. Just for grins I found the 14 gage needle fits nicely inside the finished coil. Then using your method to pull my cotton wick through the needle, then, remove the needle from the coils. Coils remain separated and don't touch each other. I am rebuilding T3's, but, should work the same here.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Nice post!

I have been using a 4-40 machine screw to wrap my coils. Find they make nice coils that don't touch each other. Just for grins I found the 14 gage needle fits nicely inside the finished coil. Then using your method to pull my cotton wick through the needle, then, remove the needle from the coils. Coils remain separated and don't touch each other. I am rebuilding T3's, but, should work the same here.

Awesome! I started out using a screw too. Worked great. Once I realized that a tight group of touching coils worked even better, I started rolling with the needles. Oh, and yes, you'll get a hotspot if your coils touch - the entire coil becomes a red, evenly glowing hotspot :)

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
HRH - coffee/chocolate (of course) flavours! My fingers are sore from making wicks all the time! It's easy enough to rewick them using cotton balls - you did well getting 3-4 days from it - i cannot.

i have resigned myself to the fact that making 5 coils a week is normal, since she will not change her habits and i am stubborn enough not to either!

Now: imagine the case if you ruined 5 cartos a week? you'd be a little less tolerant i think.

T

Really no need to replace coil everytime your cotton wick gets burnt, broken, or funky. Simply take out old wick, dry burn coil until all the old juice and wick pieces are burnt to white ash, remove ash from coil and slip in a new cotton wick! I dryburn/ rewick about every 2-3 days. I recoil about once a week.

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio
Really no need to replace coil everytime your cotton wick gets burnt, broken, or funky. Simply take out old wick, dry burn coil until all the old juice and wick pieces are burnt to white ash, remove ash from coil and slip in a new cotton wick! I dryburn/ rewick about every 2-3 days. I recoil about once a week.

This is what i'm considering normal. Am I wrong?(I don't need to recoil though, but I will if the wife is crabby)

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
^^^That's exactly what I do, too. In fact, I can go two or three weeks on a coil.....I just change out the wick every week or so. After enough dry burns, it seems like the wire finally just gets too brittle and finally breaks when I'm pulling an old wick out...or the coils get too distorted and I finally just make a new, neater-looking one. I could probably (sometimes) go a lot longer than I do on one coil....I just WANT to make a new one (to see if I remember how to....:))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread