Status
Not open for further replies.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
It just dawned on me what my handicap is making coils. Picture in a few minutes after it uploads to Photobucket from phone. It's my left thumbnail!!!!! My nails grown at an amazing speed and are very strong and I use them as tools. I use human guillotine nail cutter with razor edge to cut them every few days. Gonna have to cut left thumb down more to get rid of the handicap. Out of focus so taking another pic. Back in a few. Gonna have to relearn how to do some things that I depend on nail for, maybe even find some real tools to replace "nail tool."

Feisty Alice

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Coil making handicap. ('cuse dirt under nail, please)
20130516_164653.jpg

Guillotine to the rescue.
20130516_164519-1.jpg

Issue fixed. Blonde, ADHD, and Drain Bamage are the first handicap (and nearly impossible to overcome).
20130516_165110.jpg

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
You go outside to cut your nails?? I'm impressed - not that i am going to show HRH that - "how come you just do yours on the edge of the bed Trunky?"

My rebuilding tools are simple - magnifying glass, safety pin(to space coils) and scissors.

T

Actually in the summer and not too cold days I go outside to do my toenails. My nails have always been super strong and tough. Nails, hair, and skin have always grown at lightening speed. Hair used to grow 3" a month or more. When I break one, rare, it's usually into the quick. When cutting toenails, even after soaking in spa, I have to use super strong, long handled clippers and cutters, for leverage, and then toenails still go flying. Good to have safety glasses on. It's not that they are any thicker than normal and they are rarely brittle; just strong and grow way too fast for my preference. The Guillotine clippers do collect most of the nails into a little bin but they are only for fingernails. I've tried to find the Guillotine clippers but cannot locate them anywhere on internet. They are really great for doing babies and children's nails, too, as it is nearly impossible to cut too close.

As far as wrapping coils my thumbnail was definitely making the process much more difficult. Tape a fake nail to your holding thumb nail and see how hard it is to get the coil wrapped even using a small object. In the picture.... that's about as long as I can let my nails get without them getting in the way of all kinds of micro work with fingers. I have never understood how people, mostly women, can function with those long nails. A certain length is an asset for many uses but really long........... NO WAY!!!

I know, who would complain of fast growing hair, skin, and nails???? It really is a hassle in most ways. A week after having my toenails painted they have to be touched up as almost half the length has grown out. Hassle I say!!!!!!

Flamenco guitarists can only dream of such an asset. (DH played for years.)

Feisty Alice

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I thought you were going to go "all the way" with that tool and remove the thumb completely for "coil-winding" sake!

HA!

I did try to "amputate" that thumb once, demonstrating to my nieces why not to cut towards yourself with a knife. We were at our cabin and had made sand candles across the river. You make holes in the sand and pour wax into the holes (campfire) and go back next day to dig them up. I was using the gas stove to heat the knife to trim the bottom of one candle. OOPS!!!!!!! Took forever to get everyone cleaned up to go into town. Enough time for it to start hurting.

Feisty Alice

Last edited:

barefootntx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
jus south a houston, tx, usa
Meh. My field rebuilding kit involves a cotton ball tucked inside a Grand, and a Spyderco or SOG in my pocket. I generally keep my knives sharp enough to cut wicks without disturbing the coils, so it works pretty well

so then a regular cotton ball can be used as a wick then?

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
so then a regular cotton ball can be used as a wick then?

Not only can, but should. The regular cotton balls I get at Meijer have some sort of perfume in them. Tastes funky for a few minutes. Organic cotton balls (stolen from the wife, no idea where she got them), don't have the perfumey taste, and seem to wick better. The better wicking might be just wishful thinking on my part though.

All cotton wicks very well. But the faster it wicks, the thinner you can make your coil, and still chain vape.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
HRH - coffee/chocolate (of course) flavours! My fingers are sore from making wicks all the time! It's easy enough to rewick them using cotton balls - you did well getting 3-4 days from it - i cannot.

i have resigned myself to the fact that making 5 coils a week is normal, since she will not change her habits and i am stubborn enough not to either!

Now: imagine the case if you ruined 5 cartos a week? you'd be a little less tolerant i think.

T

Nopology

May 19, 2013
Los Angeles
Thank you very much for this post. Had no idea exactly what a rba was 24 hours ago and since seeing this thread I ordered a Reo and a reomizer. Can't wait till it comes in but had a question.

I really like your 14 gauge luer idea to pull the wick thru. I ordered extra 2.5mm silica wick from Rob and was wondering if I could do the same using the luer or should I get a smaller/larger gauge or just go buy cotton wick all together?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Thank you very much for this post. Had no idea exactly what a rba was 24 hours ago and since seeing this thread I ordered a Reo and a reomizer. Can't wait till it comes in but had a question.

I really like your 14 gauge luer idea to pull the wick thru. I ordered extra 2.5mm silica wick from Rob and was wondering if I could do the same using the luer or should I get a smaller/larger gauge or just go buy cotton wick all together?

Hi Nopology and thank you. A similar post is what got me started too :). I have never used silica so I can't offer any help there. What I can tell you is the rolled cotton is so easy, it's all I've used :) since you have the silica coming you could also get the cotton while waiting for the RM2 to ship, that way, if you can't thread the silica thru, you can easily thread the cotton thru and you'll be vaping like a rock star :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread