S&S Mods support thread, home of the defcon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gsnuff

Jun 5, 2012
Boston
LOVE my defcon mini!

I was having window leaks, most notably when it was not standing up straight. I know chopper would fix it for me but im a hardcore DIY'er. So I wiped the windows clean with alcohol and filled them with 5-min clear epoxy. So far so good and Im considering doing the same for the the underside gap/seal as well... just for good measure.

Any downsides?

Last edited:

vapordraggin101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
Okay, I am a total noob and I have a couple of questions. I saw on post 843 where it said to wrap clockwise going up and then down but not to let it overlap. How is it possible to not overlap on the way down? Also is this 5 wraps total on the electrodes? Is it possible see to use a silica wick in this? (I have silica but no ss mesh). If so, what do I do? Last of all. Can anyone point me in the direction to Chopper's videos? I watched Youseffa's, but I have need something that shows more of how to set it up. Thank you in advance.

Hi, you only wrap going up, start from bottom and go up, the bottom wire will go to the short post and the wire at the top will go to the tall post.

For the video's go to one of Choppers video's and subscribe then click on his handle at top left.

Don't know about the silica wick but I've heard of people doing it on other Rebuildables so you should be able to.

Good Luck!

Superchip92

Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
WVA
Just put a couple of drops of super glue on the ring and press back in and it won't come off again.Sometimes they just get loose as they are only press fitted in there.

Well, I've glued that fitting back in but I'm noticing some leaking whether I have the Defcon standing straight up or on it's side. I was thinking that by laying on it's side it could be leaking from the filling hole, but it seems as if the window my have a slow leak on it.

tbrinkley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
oklahoma
Hi, you only wrap going up, start from bottom and go up, the bottom wire will go to the short post and the wire at the top will go to the tall post.

For the video's go to one of Choppers video's and subscribe then click on his handle at top left.

Don't know about the silica wick but I've heard of people doing it on other Rebuildables so you should be able to.

Good Luck!
Thank you. I appreciate the help. It makes sense about wrapping the posts now.

Chopper71

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Broadway,Virginia
Well, I've glued that fitting back in but I'm noticing some leaking whether I have the Defcon standing straight up or on it's side. I was thinking that by laying on it's side it could be leaking from the filling hole, but it seems as if the window my have a slow leak on it.

You can send it back for me to check it out.I think its just juice maybe escaping from the fill hole and its seeping between the tube and metal sleeve.

Superchip92

Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
WVA
You can send it back for me to check it out.I think its just juice maybe escaping from the fill hole and its seeping between the tube and metal sleeve.

How does one get the defcon apart to clean the space between the tube and the metal sleeve? Mind you that I've super glued the press fitting as you suggested.

Chopper71

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Broadway,Virginia
How does one get the defcon apart to clean the space between the tube and the metal sleeve? Mind you that I've super glued the press fitting as you suggested.

If you try to take a part yourself you run the risk of pulling the post out.There is one way of doing it but you have to know how and typing it telling how to just does not explain it well.I will try though.Make sure there is no juice in it.Put it on a device and hold one hand around the top of that device and one hand on the bottom of the DC.Gently rock back and fourth while pulling from both ends.I can't stress enough on doing this gently and taking your time with it.

Chopper71

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Broadway,Virginia
What would cause the defcon to leak from the connector and to vary the ohms (2.0 to 5+ ohms on the vmax)? I am guessing the mesh is not oxidized correctly? Could the leaking be from over filling?

I have no idea since they are completely sealed unless juice is seeping down into the heat shrink that is on the positive post since the heat shrink does have a very small space between it and the post.I have to use heat shrink that is just a little bigger for a reason and it does not completely shrink completely around the post.The wicks are oxidized the right way.It could come from the kanthal not being wrapped around the post tight enough and causing it to jump around on ohms.Or it could come from the cols touching one another.Try a drop of JB weld in the center pin hole on the connector and just wipe off the access and let it cure completely before using.Or you can send it back and let me take a look at it.

Chopper71

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Broadway,Virginia
I'm just having a hard time trying to figure out why some getting leaks and some do not.They are all made the same way and are fully tested for leaks and air leaks before shipping.Any leaks that are pooling at the bottom of the windows are not leaks.The connector having juice coming from it is a leak but nothing major and its a fix someone can do on their own.I believe over all I will need to come up with a better juice and post plug.Maybe putting a o ring on the ones that I make will take care of this.

Superchip92

Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
WVA

I believe you were correct. I'd had the defcon on it side with the press fitting out; so, juice had leaked down in the side. After gluing the press fitting juice was trapped in there. Now that the trapped juice has leaked all out, and I'm not having anymore leaks.

One other question. What is the preferred method for cleaning tank/wick when changing flavors?

Chopper71

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Broadway,Virginia
I believe you were correct. I'd had the defcon on it side with the press fitting out; so, juice had leaked down in the side. After gluing the press fitting juice was trapped in there. Now that the trapped juice has leaked all out, and I'm not having anymore leaks.

One other question. What is the preferred method for cleaning tank/wick when changing flavors?

Syringe clean with very hot water about 5 times.Just pull the wick out and dry burn with a cooks torch or lighter then you are good to go.Glad the leak is gone,now lets hope it stays that way lol.

Chopper71

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Broadway,Virginia
The Defcon I have doesn't have the steel plate around the terminals, wick hole, and fill hole. Would this help with the leaking?

Its more for looks then anything else,but yeah it will help with condensation and juice splatter seeping.Have you tried plugging up the fill hole?

Last edited:

Youssefa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2009
Gainesville, FL USA
  • Deleted by j0ker
  • Reason: improper post

hooked911

Mar 22, 2012
USA
Hello all.. I need some major help with the defcon. I have been having issue with it so.. I thought it was just me. I packed it up and sent it to a buddy to try and he is having the same issues. The ohms bounces all over the place. Now with just the coil between the two post.. it is reading a dead short. I will see if i can get the person that has it to post here. What would cause this? Bad wire? Trying to the the person to test it without a coil or wick with an ohm meter (post to post).

got the person to test and it seems as if it has a dead short. not sure what kind of meter he has (said it didnt have leads?), but was reading 0 ohms without a coil. Shows shorted without a coil on his provari.

Last edited:

AmberB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Oklahoma
Hello all.. I need some major help with the defcon. I have been having issue with it so.. I thought it was just me. I packed it up and sent it to a buddy to try and he is having the same issues. The ohms bounces all over the place. Now with just the coil between the two post.. it is reading a dead short. I will see if i can get the person that has it to post here. What would cause this? Bad wire? Trying to the the person to test it without a coil or wick with an ohm meter (post to post).

got the person to test and it seems as if it has a dead short. not sure what kind of meter he has (said it didnt have leads?), but was reading 0 ohms without a coil. Shows shorted without a coil on his provari.

I believe these would read dead short and 0 ohms without a coil. When my resistance changed at first it was because my coil wasn't tight and even enough. What kind of wire are you using? Is your wick oxidized well enough?

vapordraggin101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009

Hi, I think you might want to PM Chopper about your problem, he is more than willing to help anyway he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread