S&S Mods support thread, home of the defcon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper71

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Broadway,Virginia
This thread is being started for any support that either buyers of the DC or anyone with knowledge of a rebuild able atty.Can share their own personal thoughts or tips about the DC or general atty help.No one posting is affiliated with my business as they have already bought my item and is trying to offer help to others.Or they are friends trying to lend their own personal experience with a rebuild able atty.ECf member Youssefa is offering technical help and is in no way a associate of my business.He is doing this on his own time and has my permission to post only technical help only.Here are a few video reviews of the DC.If anyone would like to add to this thread that is for support/help only please feel free to do so and thank you.

ECF member sj74 has been a great friend to me on here and can help you all as well.He has a lot of knowledge and is a over all great person.
ECF member tiburonfirst has been of great help with answering questions best to her knowledge when I couldn't get around to doing it.
Thank you all so much for all the help,much respect to you all.

Last edited:

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
View attachment 103278
Chopper71 at S&S Mods has really started pumping out the Genesis atomizers. These GENESIS MODS appeal the to the new user wanting to get away from standard carto, LR, and HV vaping, But they don't want to pay for the HIGH $$$ products or wait months for delivery, at least not to get their feet wet. So I have started this thread, to answer questions, provide links, pics and explanations that can probably be found elsewhere, but what the hell. To introduce myself and this thread A review of Chopper 71 First production model DefCon.

DefCon
DSCF2231.jpg

Defcon Mini
DSCF2240-1.jpg

DefCon Atom

DSCF0364.jpg

DSCF0366.jpg

The wick mesh dimensions for the DefCon Mini
2 1/4 inch long
1 inch wide
Roll tight on 16Ga needle

If you have a Standard DefCon
However long you want.
1 inch wide

WICK ROLLING INSTRUCTIONS

Ignore the part about bending the mesh.
Rolling SS mesh - YouTube

Note:: the Standard DefCon Will no longer be made. Due popular demand the mini will only be continued. This is to allow development of new models.
View attachment 103309 View attachment 103647 View attachment 103649 View attachment 103648

What's the OD of the Defcon? I'm building a box for a recessed connection and want to add a Genesis-type atty. Actually, what are the complete measurements (ID/OD/L)? Would it be possible to order a specific length?

Standard DefCon

OD 14mm
length from bottom not incl thread to top of main sleeve not incl cap or thread collar 46.5mm
OAL not incl drip tip 80mm

Due to the sleeved design that makes the Defcon super user maintainable it comes apart quite readily. Recessing it into a box mod while being easy may present some issues. I would wait for it to arrive to plan the detail of your build

Wick rolling Vid Embedded.
This is the VERY BEST method ofr rolling SS mesh wick. Please ignore the part about BENDING...does not apply, the rest is excellent technique.

NOTE:

If your are experiencing leaking...it is probably your wick, as each person rolls a little different. if the wick is done correctly, when inserting it, If your wick drops in the hole it WILL leak. you should not have to shoe horn it in, but you should have a bit of resistance, and use a little force to get it in.....:blush:

Just got my mini in today (came yesterday, but didn't check the mail), and it is wonderful. I am using 100% bamboo (crochet thread) wick with 100% VG (diluted, 10% DW and ~2% alcohol based tobacco extract). Awesome flavor, TH and clouds of vapor, of course. I'm pretty bad at getting the wire wrapped on the post, other than that, I got a 1.4ohm blasting at 4.5 volts (on an overpower vmax). Thanks Chopper for making my beast (vmax) more beastly with the mini. =)

Thats over 3 amps, almost 15 watts hope you have high discharge batteries, because if not you are playing with fire and could be explosive. Wrap some more coils and get those ohms up if you are going to higher voltage. Be safe..

Damn BJ is right...I would not go under 2.0, that is pushing it @ 4.5v I vape 2.1-2.6ohm at 3.8-4.0v on IRM high drains, that is my max. on a CE2 with Kick I have set at 5watts... 3.3-3.8v 2.4-2.8ohms, it is a steam machine.

i believe chopper and scott got a manual going! might be a good idea to post that here or, at least, send by pm to anybody expecting delivery of the defcon .......

Spoons

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
Southern Maryland
Hopefully this is the right thread for questions...
Ok, so I got the Defcon today.. I have some embarrassing noob questions..
Filling was easy..
Using is altogether another story (for me)
I noticed when I first tried to pull, there is absolutely NO resistance on the pull at all... just like pulling on a sieve. So I notice the air hole in the top cap, and (using both hands, 1 hand to push the fire button and the other hand to plug the air hole) the draw is very very stiff if almost not impossible.. This is making it extremely difficult to get a good pull from the device. Please tell me how dumb I am and what I am doing wrong, I am a young jedi in training.. This is the first time I have ever used a mod like this..

When I try to draw without plugging the hole, as I said it is so airy that I toke and toke and toke to get some vapor up and by the time I get what I think is a good pull... I am getting that dry NOT juice taste...

hep me...

I am using this on a lavatube.. (i have been moving the voltage up and down to see if that would help but nah)

sj74

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Northern Virginia
Hi Spoons,

Ok tips and tricks here we go!

1) If you are dry burning, make sure you have a tilt going to help the juice wick, 2pm should do it to get things running and happy
2) Airy draw - this is the mainly seen question from new genesis style users. Airy draw does happen, and it does take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, be patient, you will not want anything but.
3) if it is too airy, as Tib said, use some tape and try covering the sir hole a little at a time to get the draw you are looking for
4) SIAM MODS makes an AFS drip tip, (Adjustable air flow) so you can regulate the draw using on of those (I have one I use on Katana and SS Line it works fine)
5) If your LT can read OHM's see what the DC is pulling for ohms and adjust the voltage of the device accordingly, you do not want to overpower the DC or you will pop a coil and not wick very well.

As always PM me if you have questions too.

Hopefully this is the right thread for questions...
Ok, so I got the Defcon today.. I have some embarrassing noob questions..
Filling was easy..
Using is altogether another story (for me)
I noticed when I first tried to pull, there is absolutely NO resistance on the pull at all... just like pulling on a sieve. So I notice the air hole in the top cap, and (using both hands, 1 hand to push the fire button and the other hand to plug the air hole) the draw is very very stiff if almost not impossible.. This is making it extremely difficult to get a good pull from the device. Please tell me how dumb I am and what I am doing wrong, I am a young jedi in training.. This is the first time I have ever used a mod like this..

When I try to draw without plugging the hole, as I said it is so airy that I toke and toke and toke to get some vapor up and by the time I get what I think is a good pull... I am getting that dry NOT juice taste...

hep me...

I am using this on a lavatube.. (i have been moving the voltage up and down to see if that would help but nah)

Youssefa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2009
Gainesville, FL USA
OKay, If you have a wick rolled the proper diameter to fit the hole snugly, and are using kanthal a-1 32ga and have a coil that is 3-4 wraps, you should be between 2.0-2.6, 3v-3.8v should be sufficient. on my cheapy Ovale v8 and saber touch I set the V to 3.3v+/- these are BUCK style VV, very different from boosted LavaTube, Provari, Vmode, Etc. on boosted VV I have to set the voltage higher around 3.8v with the same atty that was on Ovale v8 @ 3.0v-3.3v.

Second, it is better to tape the air hole than to get an AFC because you want a high flow rate across the coil. by decreasing the air hole size you get a nozzle effect decrease volume while increasing flow rate. AFC you decrease flow rate and volume when controlling it at the other end. Tis is assuming that your "draw" has the same strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread