Sattec's atty cleaning test thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
sorry...just shake it like a glass of iced tea people!!! Just stir it up a little, your just trying to move the fluid in and out of the tube!!!! ....<snip>

Good point! A vigorous shake can break loose the parts from the silicone glue that is holding them. Been there, done that. Fortunately I was able to resolder the wires back on.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Hmmmm.... interesting.

I picked up a bottle of Pro Health - Night yesterday and used it on a couple of attys yesterday.

I had been a fan of soaking my attys in alcohol. When I was done the alcohol would have a brown tinge, leading me to believe that the "gunk" is/was miscible in the alcohol and was going into solution. I still believe that.

With the Crest, there are noticeable "chunks" in the bottom of the bottle. Leading one to believe that some mechanism is "freeing" the goop... but it is not being dissolved in the Crest.

This is certainly intriguing and I salute Sattec for his research!

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
With the Crest, there are noticeable "chunks" in the bottom of the bottle. Leading one to believe that some mechanism is "freeing" the goop... but it is not being dissolved in the Crest.
Now drop the chunks into the alcohol you normally use - vodka/Everclear, I assume. Do they dissolve?

If they don't dissolve, Crest does a better job.

If they do dissolve, then the alcohol is better, since the Crest may be leaving small chunks embedded in the mesh. If alcohol dissolves but Crest doesn't, then it makes sense to me that alcohol is doing a more thorough job of cleaning.

I'll ask again... Sattec, did you ever try alcohol as a cleaning agent? Not isopropyl alcohol, but vodka or Everclear? If not, why not?

Last edited:

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
I don't use alcohol anymore because when you say "alcohol" here, some people think you mean rubbing alcohol....rubbing alcohol is not for internal use, everclear is. I was wanting to present a product that is safe to have in the home with kids around. I don't want to endorse something that might hurt somebody or kids. Rubbing alcohol is not safe to vape, a bottle of everclear sitting on the counter is not safe around kids, it could kill them if they drink it....but mouth wash that really cleans is pretty much safe...I see it as everclear and rubbing alcohol aren't needed anymore, mouthwash does better, imo.

EVERYBODY HAS A DIFFERENT PROBLEM, different hardware and juices makes each atty cleanup unique...

I'm just happy to be saving the cost of new atty's plus the cost of shipping and the hassle of dealing with DOA atty's...

vodka in your juice is a good cleaner for everytime you vape

stillcrazy

Aug 29, 2009
nor-cal
Thanks from me too Sattec-I've read waaaay toooo much information on this subject and I'm still not sure what to do. However, this does seem better that some I've heard of. As a recovering alkie, someone advised me against the Everclear project. But is mouthwash any better to inhale. I have a VP1, works like a champ. Isn't the blow & dry method good enough?:confused:

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Isn't the blow & dry method good enough?:confused:
You will read a thousand different opinions about how to clean - or not clean - atomizers. But they're all anecdotal - just people's opinions. This is the only scientific comparison that I've seen.

Hmmm... Maybe there's another one... A thread about phosphoric or sulfuric acid?

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Interesting read. I'll have to try this "After" my week long PGA (153 proof) soak. If there is more gunk that comes out with the mouthwash then it will prove in my mind it is better than PGA. If nothing (chunks) comes out of my already cleaned atomizers then I'll just use the mouthwash for what it was intended. Thanks for all the effort doing this cleaning test.

Burnie

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
You will read a thousand different opinions about how to clean - or not clean - atomizers. But they're all anecdotal - just people's opinions. This is the only scientific comparison that I've seen.

Hmmm... Maybe there's another one... A thread about phosphoric or sulfuric acid?

Scottes---Absent a hash and dangerous chemical, no cleaner will move that residual of the coil. The dry burn and the burn with peroxide seemed to do well. In working with over 50 atomizers and ever susbstance ever mentioned here, I can say that most of the "cleaning" methods posted do not actually clean the coil., but they do clear the wicking mesh and flooding of the atomizer.

So you are dealing with two different procedures---one in an attempt to clean the residual off the coil and the other to clear the mesh for better wicking, clear bad taste, and loosening up a tight draw.

Sun

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Wow, there's so much info here since I last posted. A couple of points. I always heat my cleaning liquid first (20 seconds in the microwave) but didn't on my first test. Will next time. Why? Would you clean dishes with cold water? And if you are doing a 15 minute cleaning, you'll probably get more bang for your buck this way.

I soaked it for a few hours (took a nap) and then let it sit for about an hour to let it dilute in water. Someone mentioned not wanting to vape the mouthwash. Don't skip the rinse step (maybe also with heated water).

It took a while for the minty mouthwash taste to go away. Maybe a 15 minute wash is best.

And here's a recommendation. Why not do it every week. Not just to save dying atomizers. It's easier to keep an atomizer in good condition then to bring it back from the brink of death.

My next experiment will be just that. A quick weekly cleaning of an atomizer in relatively good shape.

My cleaning method (lemon juice then a water rinse) has worked very well for me. I still try to factor in replacing my atomizers once a month, but let's try to keep that quality at it's highest for however long you use your atomizer.

The atomizers I cleaned have be moved to the "cleaning" pile for now. You know, the atomizers you use while you're cleaning the others. :) My trick for re-priming is to put a few drops in the atomizer and use a fresh or freshly topped cart and let it sit. The atty now has juice and if it wants more it can suck it up from the cart. It's stop accepting juice when it's good and ready.

Like every other tip. Share what works for you and what you've experienced. Use what you like discard what you don't. I try to apply a little common sense and caution in everything I do.

I didn't shake either. Think ice cubes in the bottom of a whiskey glass. You don't want to slosh your drink. Just give it a little swirl.

My tests aren't over yet, but they look promising.

Ow, someone said, asked if the "blow and dry" method good enough. The answer is no. When you don't use your atomizer little droplets of juice dry up and crystallize. You can't blow out that. Even just running them under hot water and letting them dry overnight is better than nothing. All elements in e-liquid should be water soluble. Soaking in hot water helps to dissolve that liquid and liquid in the air passages. You can go from cloggin' to foggin' in nothing flat. Blowing can't do that.

Thanks again, Sattec for sharing.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Now if I can only get the image of combs sitting in a jar of blue liquid at the barber shop out of my head...
P.P.S. What works for you, works for you. If you don't try anything new, don't expect to get different results.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I had been a fan of soaking my attys in alcohol. When I was done the alcohol would have a brown tinge, leading me to believe that the "gunk" is/was miscible in the alcohol and was going into solution. I still believe that.

Now drop the chunks into the alcohol you normally use - vodka/Everclear, I assume. Do they dissolve?

If they don't dissolve, Crest does a better job.

If they do dissolve, then the alcohol is better, since the Crest may be leaving small chunks embedded in the mesh. If alcohol dissolves but Crest doesn't, then it makes sense to me that alcohol is doing a more thorough job of cleaning.

I'll have to try this "After" my week long PGA (153 proof) soak. If there is more gunk that comes out with the mouthwash then it will prove in my mind it is better than PGA. If nothing (chunks) comes out of my already cleaned atomizers then I'll just use the mouthwash for what it was intended.
Looking forward to finding out the results!!

I've been using a Diet Coke soak.
Since it is brown I can't see if there are any chunks.
And since it is already brown I can't see if it changes color.
:(

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Gaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

I can't get the taste of this stuff out of my atty's!! I've rinsed them like a dozen times with water and it's still there! Sattec... if you weren't an honorable man I'd swear you were tying to kill me! ;-)

I will soldier on!

Try soaking them in water over night to clean out the mouthwash. Thats what i'm doing.

Just make sure to tap the jar to get all the air bubbles out of the attys first.

I now have 4 in there and will let you know what happends tomorrow.

Proverb

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Boulder, CO
Well, I decided to give this method a test on my 510 atomizers since it seemed so simple to do, and as luck would have it, I still had an unopened Crest Pro Health Mouthwash travel sized container from my last trip.

Absolutely amazing find. :thumbs:

I still can't believe how easy the method is given how well it works. Repriming was a pain at first, but now that the atty's been reprimed, it's vaping like new again. Admittedly the atty I tried it on is only about a month old, but still, works quite well. Honestly, I think the most painstaking part of it all was waiting for the atomizer to dry out after the post-rinse batch ;).

The only suggestion I'd recommend is giving the threads of the atty (and battery too!) a good cleaning with a cotton swab/paper towel. I noticed when I did my first atomizer that the little black flakes seemingly stuck in the threads of the first atomizer I cleaned, but a quick wipe and rinse took care of that.

Ahh, such a smooth draw once more :D

kno

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2009
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
those two attys in the detergent tasted like chemical poo

even after boiling in water

i let them sit for 2 days in wate, then in a cup with the crest for about 8 hours shaking it about 4-5 times, they are now soaking in water again until tomorrow

if youlet them soak in water for a day or two you'll see somegunk diffuse but i got no chunks or specs out of anything at all so far :(

hope they taste better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread