Sattec's atty cleaning test thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
let your cleaning bowl sit for a day or two, then look in the bottom, you'll see plenty of gunk on the bottom...I saw some paint chips too( I prolly knocked the paint off the ends while agitating them) and a very nasty layer of cloudy juice suspended just off the bottom. I think we're cleaning the mesh more than the actual coil but the coil and "boil pan" do benefit from the "wash". If the mesh is gunked up, the draw is hard. Try using hot crest pro but not boiling hot....that works even better when you heat it up, I used a double boiler to heat mine....

Last edited:

riche

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2009
Cape Town
:DFound it ... Mouthwash here in SA : Cepacol ® Antibacterial Throat Gargle
Has same active ingredient : Cetylpyridinium chloride 50 mg (1:2 000)
has a small amount of alcohol – should be ok though…

Thanks Prof Daffy and Sattec for all the research…
… will let you know … I have an atty that needs some work – just gotta get the mouthwash…
Later RICHe

[FONT="]:evil:
[/FONT]

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I like your cleaning research.
I used generic scope because I already had a bottle; shares active ingredient.

I cleaned 2 attys with similar results. 1 atty is a year old. I typically use PGA cleaning.
The results were same for both attys. The used scope was almost clear but contained several very small particles. Particles much smaller than black pepper.

Details:

PGA rinse.
Scope (Don't have Crest yet) soak and shake for a few hours.
Distilled H2O rinse.
Inspected used bath and found some tiny specs.
PGA rinse and blow.
PGA prime.
Atty working like new.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
I like your cleaning research.
I used generic scope because I already had a bottle; shares active ingredient.

I cleaned 2 attys with similar results. 1 atty is a year old. I typically use PGA cleaning.
The results were same for both attys. The used scope was almost clear but contained several very small particles. Particles much smaller than black pepper.

Details:

PGA rinse.
Scope (Don't have Crest yet) soak and shake for a few hours.
Distilled H2O rinse.
Inspected used bath and found some tiny specs.
PGA rinse and blow.
PGA prime.
Atty working like new.

You soaked for hours? I thought sattec said for only 15 mins?

I just got home from the store with my Crest pro Blue Mouth Wash. I poured some in a small plastic cup and dropped in 3 attys that need cleaning. One is barely wicking.

Was planing on 15 mins.. Is longer nessisary?

Also what is PGA??

Kavik79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
Albany, NY
solution that can be used to extend the life of 801/112 atty's

Please forgive a noobish question, but I'm not familiar with the difference between different atty's....would this work on a 510 too?

and you mention not using straight peroxide, but I wonder about something like Listerine Pre-Rinse? Contains a bit of peroxide already in it, enough to foam up when aggitated. Just curious if you tested something like that?

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
Please forgive a noobish question, but I'm not familiar with the difference between different atty's....would this work on a 510 too? it should be fine

and you mention not using straight peroxide, but I wonder about something like Listerine Pre-Rinse? Contains a bit of peroxide already in it, enough to foam up when aggitated. Just curious if you tested something like that?
peroxide in a two percent solution is prolly ok, but I wont use it at all, it can destroy the glue that holds everything together and I have at least two atty's that have a permanent peroxide taste to them

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Last night i soaked 3 510 atty's that needed cleaning in Crest Pro-health "Blue" mouth wash. 1 was so bad that there was barely any vapor at all to the point i thought it was dead.

So i soaked them for about 40 mins. The one that was the worst i tried drying only by blowing it out real good. Put 3 drops in and puffed away. No good. Seemed the same. Bad taste so i guess it probably was'nt dry. So i thought maybe it still needs a clean. Put it back in and soaked it this time for a couple of hours. Rinsed it with warm tap water and blew it out. Then i noticed something in the bottom of the atty. Some brown stuff. So i grab a tooth pick and try to remove it. It was a huge chunk of the wick and i ended up pulling it out. The wick was mostly brown?? So i guess it didnt clean that too well. -EDIT- Just remembed something after looking at the wick i removed as i still have it. This was the atty i was using in my Protege. The protege had a sticky button (Thats now been fixed and on its way back) and it was runing for quite some time before i noticed and it looks like the brown stuff is burnt wick and not just dirty. So that makes sense why it didint clean it off.- And here on the other ones i seen how white the wick looked after the soak and thought too my self that damn its really cleaning the wick.. heh.

Anyways, i let them dry over night. I dont have any alcohol in the house other then some 99% Isopropyl alcohol that the lable says is for extenal use only. So no touching that.

11 AM i try them out.. dried for about 12 hours. Still has that mouthwash taste.

The bad atty comes to life! Puffing great now! :) I know which one that was cause of the scratch on the paint.

The white one is working strong! Only took the initial 3 drops to prime. HUGE FOG MACHINE! :) AWESOME!

The 3rd one took a few more drops to come to life. Puffing great as well!

I believe there all working damn near 100% as i remember some were great out of the box then others.

I'll just say that forsure use some alcohol to rinse out the mouthwash as mine still has a hint of it left over. I tried runing them real hot while juiced up puffing it like a cigar and blew them out while still hot hoping to get the crest taste out and i'm not sure if its still there or not as the taste never left my mouth originally. heh.

THANK YOU!

I think i'll do this weekly and rotate between a set so i always have great working attys.

Last edited:

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
So why no alcohol for cleaning? I searched the thread and only saw one comment by kinabaloo that didn't contain any real information for avoiding it.

As for atomizers still tasting like Crest, you might be interested in a test by Exogenesis:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...3744-rinsing-chemicals-out-atomisers-not.html
Though his test was for a different cleaning agent, it does prove that the wick and bridge material can hold trace amounts of the cleaning liquid for many hour after many rinses. In a nutshell, he says "So overnight soak after rinse is a must!" and I agree after seeing his results.

buttercrunch

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Oregon
don't be a fool (like me) or a maniac (like me) and put ten 510 attys in a little plastic container, pour in some crest blue, snap on the lid and SHAKE SHAKE SWIRL SHAKE like you are trying to win a contest, or will receive a lovely gift of precious rubies, but only if you shake them harder than anyone has ever done in the history of the world. I now have ten beautifully clean (inside) attys...but totally ugly attys. the finish is ruined on all of them, mottled, bunged up, chipped paint, it's horrid. the poor things!!!!
the WORST part of all is .....
I only have my own dumb-... self to blame.
tried to blame the dog, but he just laughed at me.

PS: this really, really cleans them, amazing!!!

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
sorry...just shake it like a glass of iced tea people!!! Just stir it up a little, your just trying to move the fluid in and out of the tube!!!!

Mostly we're cleanig the mesh, which helps the air flow, which helps the burn to happen. No air and everything starts gunking up.

I think some atty's today, still have some of the old factory primer still in the mesh. Clean an atty about 7 times in a row, see if you still get junk or if it ever "goes clean".

Your gonna break the coil if your too rough on the "stir cycle"

everybody's atty's and juice are different, this is not gona work for everybody I'm sure.

rubbing alcohol is not for internal use, you wouldn't want to vape it by accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread