ScotchBrite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahnzo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Colorado
I thought I read (but can't find) that you can use Scotch-Brite foam to replace the filler....is that true?

Also, can anyone tell me where I might find the stuff that is used in the carts (filler)? I really like just cutting the original stuff into 1/3rds and using it, but I can tell it's going to wear out faster than the carts do. Would be nice if I could pick it up at a Walmart, Lowes, etc.

xzavier1985

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Jamestown, NY
I found a larger green 3M scrubby pad at my work that seems to work perfectly. It's all I use. Here is a link. 3M 86 | Scouring Pad 6X9 Inch. I would suggest getting away from the stock polyfill as soon as possible since it is an inferior and outdated means stuff a cart. The 3M pads seem to have the perfect network of channels to provide a nice consistant flow. I hope this helps!

Brad-c

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
hawaii,puna
I use fish tank filter material, but then I raise fish for both show and food production, so it's always handy. I run two 500 gal outdoor tanks, 2 100 gal outdoor, 2 100 gal indooor, 2 14 gal, 2 29 gal and 6 10 gal fry or bredder tanks so, plenty of fish foam around :)

pm me what of fishes you got. please

Sardonic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I tried scotch-brite and also a bath body scrubber. Neither is advisable, even if you wash them first. Fillers suck anyway, but if you're going to use something at least boil the hell out of it first. I mainly drip now and use no filler cartos and carts, but the best mod I've used was Scottyballs spring mod and zero filler mod.

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
I just got a couple green scotch brite pads for use in my smartcarts, and so far so good. I had a couple of trial and error phases.

First, the full thickness of the pad didn't wick my 80% vg so I cut it. Cut it too much and it leaked.
Second, I tried again and thinned it out, stuffed it in and it seems to be working. The juice viewer is showing me that its not using much juice but it still tastes like juice, so that's a good thing. It's pretty damn thin so I'm not going to go any thinner.

If it stops wicking I'll keep trying, but it is SO much better than the standard filler with my 80%vg. I'll also try it with some dekang ry4 since the only non LR atty I have is already overwhelmed by "regular" flavors. (can't try it with wintergreen or any of the fruity juices). The dekang I believe is the opposite, 80% pg. We shal see

n2danexxus

ECF Veteran
I've used the "no scratch" scotchbrite pads before. I removed the sponge part of it and used the scrubby part. In my opinion, it worked but wasn't anything special and wore out quickly. Personally I use the shop-vac "R" type filter which is the same thing as the blue fish foam. It has worked the best for me for a long time, easily accessible from the hardware store, and you get plenty of it for about 8 bucks.

BLACK filler mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread