Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I'm not a sociologist and I don't play one on the Internet. I was an uncontrollable kid and probably would have benefited from an Agency stepping in earlier. The people that came in contact with me certainly would have. It wasn't my parents fault. They did the best they could but when I left the house every day all bets were off.
OTOH my friends that did time in DYS also did time in adult prisons.
"Good kids" will stop when they "meet the consequences". Others (like I was) think they're smart enough to fight the power and get away with whatever forever.

I've seen The Legion helping shut down teen-vaping YouTube accounts.
I watched the videos and the kids doing reviews are me as a teen.
TCFTFK and other agencies that have made a lucrative business out of "fighting" underage use parade troops of kids before legislature reading from carefully crafted scripts. Save the kids (.... the adults we need a big paycheck).

I agree that 2 weeks on 2nd offense is disproportionately harsh.
We're fighting to save hundreds of thousands of lives per year in the US alone so what's the answer if not to scare the incorrigible straight?

LOL - don't forget to save walls of text in notepad.
ECF's server has a sick sense of humor.

BallBuster 502.jpg

Last edited:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
and while we're at it this comment (mine) on a post in Vape Distortion Facebook group is getting lots of love -

" and make up your mind about what constitutes an adult.
Old enough to go to war = adult. Full stop.
Go to war at 17 = able to drink, smoke, vape etc @ 17.
Want 21? No war until 21.
Make up your F'ing mind about what an adult is."

(Public) Vape truth vs distortion group - Vape Distortion

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I 100% agree with consequences for kids (within a similarly sane parenting structure). I will also add that parenting can be tough becase of ONE parent, not the other. I did a pretty good job with my kiddo, and if he hadn't already been attached to his bio dad, well, I might have cut off contact when I got full custody. Unfortunately, I've seen the results of that, the kid continues to idolize the "absent" parent, and then petitions the courts, the minute they turn 16, to go live with the absent parent. Most of my kid's antisocial tendencies were caused my ex (nature and nurture.) One more reason to not have a kid with your dealer, but I was faced with two very unpleasant circumstances, including my ex telling my kid not to "inform" us that he was being beaten and neglected or he would send "minions" to go kill me and my husband. Alas, at 12, he really thought it could happen, and never in my wildest dreams did I imagine my ex would do that.​

Took a few more summers of suffering before my kiddo informed me, and well, such was his life.

I merely cite this as one of MANY reasons society is kind of a mess. I mean... It's easy to attack parenting from the outside, or point out all the things parents do wrong.

I really found that even the most ANTI-social of parents I worked with, being empathic an understanding their difficulties was more helpful than starting out with "I am going to blame YOU and your kid for this outcome."

It's fairly rare (although not totally uncommon) to find a parent with 0% of concern about their kids, the parents may also be tired, single parents, uneducated about discipline and how to make their relationship with their kid better or stronger. I've worked with some fairly rough kids too, and I'd say maybe 5% or less of the parents didn't care. They either didn't know what to do, or didn't have the energy to do it due to life circumstances or whatnot.

My kiddo turned out as well as he did because I spent tens of thousands of dollars on reparative therapy, legal cost, oh a host of things. I didn't regret a single penny-- my thoughts were, "Well, Anna, you PUT the kid in the situation he was in, so freaking suffer to make it right. But I was also lucky enough to find an awesome stepdad for the kid. Not all parents are so lucky.

Anti-sociality is one of the hardest behaviors to deal with. TRUE anti social teens will probably wind up criminalized at some point, regardless. What they do with that is up to them, but "prisons" really swell and increase anti social behavior, it is THE arena where if a kid is going to one direction or another, well, the possibility of that happening worries me more (whether it's justified, or not) than juuling.

And do not get me wrong what my kid did to enter the system was in NO way comparative to Juuling. He's pretty lucky he didn't die or kill someone else. Since he'd never encountered "crime and its consequences" before, well, he's not really dumb nor is he a hardened criminal, but it sure beat any traces of anti social out of him, because if he's anything, he isn't DUMB, and he quickly realized it was not a life he cared to live. I do think those who need to encounter this, well, at least, let them be grown up enough to suffer the consequences.

With that said, if you are running around shooting people, you should get locked up, whatever your age.

With drug/addiction type things, there is MORE than enough evidence that harm reduction works better than criminalization. It just does. PERIOD.

Wanna take 16 hits of acid, kid? Fine, you just go do that to your brain. Take 16 hits of acid and DRIVE, you deserve some legal consequences.

Every country that has decriminalize drugs HAS benefitted, in comparison to criminalization. So, if a kid's sucking on a juul, action should be taken, and sometimes even more DRASTIC action. I've worked in a (locked) residential center for teens, and honestly, I've never met a set of more (potentially) anti social kiddos. My supervisor told me upfront that anything I did or said to a kid would not "sink in" for up to fifteen years probably, but that I still needed to do it.

One of my clients there kept up with my whereabouts (work wise) and would send me letters from time to time. She was headed down the criminal trail, but her first missive was a thank you letter, including a picture of her and her dad, about to go to her high school prom. If just ONE kiddo I worked with had such an outcome (although I'm quite certain others did, down the line, well it was worth it) and while, the environment was at times somewhat dire, it was NOTHNG like Juvenile Lockup around here, that is for certain. Our JV is actually a lot more empty than it used to be. I am more than glad.

Anna

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
"The vapor industry has been at the forefront of the push for minor sales bans across the country, years before the FDA implemented a national ban in 2016. It wasn’t the evil vaping industry clamoring to sell their products to minors who stood in the way of public health’s campaign to clamp down on sales to minors. In fact, it was the opposite. Organizations like, and allies of, the Truth Initiative, American Lung Association, American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, and Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids actually fought against the vapor industry’s effort to impose sales bans to minors in numerous states."

Vaping companies called for crackdown on e-cigarette sales to minors, while anti-smoking groups sat on the sidelines

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
LOL - don't forget to save walls of text in notepad.
ECF's server has a sick sense of humor.

I've been getting that Bad Gateway on ECF since yesterday about 1PM. Showed Cloudflare in Miami and connection to me was fine. Problem was from ECF to Miami. Lasted then until after 3PM yesterday...no mater what page I tried to load. Started doing it off and on today about 12:30PM, instead of steady. Getting Website Down errors, too!

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
Juul is not creating new users, they are simply decimating the cigalike market, now getting 55% market share.

Juul has now proposed a national age of 21 to Vape, but by then most who will take up cigarettes already have. Not the best outcome.

These Senators believe we are Big Tobacco pawns and that flavors prove we are going after kids.

We will be meeting with FdA commish Gottlieb tomorrow on these and other issues. Wish us luck!

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
Juul is not creating new users, they are simply decimating the cigalike market, now getting 55% market share.

Juul has now proposed a national age of 21 to Vape, but by then most who will take up cigarettes already have. Not the best outcome.

These Senators believe we are Big Tobacco pawns and that flavors prove we are going after kids.

We will be meeting with FdA commish Gottlieb tomorrow on these and other issues. Wish us luck!
Best wishes! Keep us posted please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread