SFY Plug - Inspired by ZFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
UPDATE: OK, so I soaked the plugs in a baking soda solution overnight...didn't help. I am currently soaking one in PGA to see if that works. I think I did that to a couple the first time I made them to see if the alcohol would have any effect on them...so maybe that explains why some taste and the newer ones I made I cant get rid of the taste. At this point I am confused as they all came from the same batch of putty. I know its not my taste-buds because I vape 2 different flavors I use in 2 different dedicated e-cigs. They were both using the original plugs and were both tasteless until I dropped one and rolled my chair over it and had to make a new one. Dunno??

I am going to try to get a piece of Aerogel and see if that will work...anyone tried it??

Vhal

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Garlans
have you tried baking them in the oven for a little while? like 5-10 minutes @ ~350F.. i dont taste the plug when my cart is full. only time i start to taste it is when its running empty, so its kind of an indicator to refill.

how are you guys pulling the putty out of the mold for curing? cause my house is always around 70F and iv had plug sit for days without curing enough for me to remove them for full cure. always end up screwing up the form.

iv also noticed that you can taste the putty more if there is no vent hole *shrug*

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
I started reading this long post because I it looked like a good idea, after reading 3/4 the way through this thread someone stated they tasted the putty on page 24 and again on 31. No one answered or acknowledged the first posters comment. I know a couple of people including myself that have tastes the poly from the standard carts.

So before I spend anymore time or money on this idea does anyone else taste anything other then ejuice? I have been pretty happy with my current cart mod.

Gee I guess I should have read the last couple of pages, sorry.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/58614-my-first-cart-mod-901-a.html

Last edited:

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
Last edited:

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
FYI...I have found that soaking the plugs in PGA overnight, rinse with hot water...then let them air out for a couple days works best to help eliminate the taste.

I also bought some of the chisel tip cart recently and even though they dont have much of a ledge inside but the plugs fit tighter than the regular 510 carts using plugs made with the regular cart as a mold. I could see if making the plugs using the chisel tips as a mold that they might not be as tight and slide down in the cart reducing contact with the bridge and needing support with a straw.

Other than being a PITA to make and eliminating the taste, I think these things great IMO. Has anyone tried the other compound yet? I am content with the same ones I made originally so I dont want to spend more money on this, but would be interesting to find out.

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
FYI...I have found that soaking the plugs in PGA overnight, rinse with hot water...then let them air out for a couple days works best to help eliminate the taste.

I also bought some of the chisel tip cart recently and even though they dont have much of a ledge inside but the plugs fit tighter than the regular 510 carts using plugs made with the regular cart as a mold. I could see if making the plugs using the chisel tips as a mold that they might not be as tight and slide down in the cart reducing contact with the bridge and needing support with a straw.

Other than being a PITA to make and eliminating the taste, I think these things great IMO. Has anyone tried the other compound yet? I am content with the same ones I made originally so I dont want to spend more money on this, but would be interesting to find out.

As I first said, it looked like a good idea and I still do.
chisel tip cart..where do you get these?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/58614-my-first-cart-mod-901-a.html

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
so is this way with the full plug better than whats being sold that is like half plug and straw that goes inside? I believe scottyballs is selling it? And what I can't understand with this is, doesn't the atomizer just flood and flood if the liquidis basically just pouring on it?

oh, has anyone found this putty suff at any other stores?

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
The ones I made were like a can with no lid with a hole in the bottom. You stick it in with the hole to the atty and it stays put, no straw or anything needed. The problem with this or any similar design is the attys are not all made the same, so some work excellent some flood or starve the atty. It all depends on how they put the wick in the atty. I have seen some where the wick was just tucked under the bridge not even entering the coil. Some were in the coil but not tucked under the nickle foam on the bridge.

Also the Amazing Putty does have a nasty after taste to it for awhile so another brand should be found. I have not heard of anybody getting a brand that works better, but there may be.

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
how big should the main hole and vent hole be? the plug seems to have come out well, but the hole didn't seem to go all the way through on the vent or the main hole. That I can fix, but I used the star tool and the hole is like barely open. should there be like a big visible hole through the plug? it doesn't seem to be working now and I think its because the holes are too small.

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
I never used a star bit so I couldn't tell you...problem is probably you are compressing the putty with the bit instead of cutting the hole cleanly and the putty is bouncing back so to speak closing the hole.

I would try for about a .080" hole to start...or less. Like I said...it depends more on the atty than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread