SFY Plug - Inspired by ZFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
Ok, went back to hobby lobby with wife and looked everywhere for a non toxic material to use to make my own plug.

I found Amazing Mold putty, easy to use and anyone can do it. All you need is an empty 510 cart and a size 10 star tool. I have included pics to show. The star tool make it have grooves so it can vent without flooding.

I have used it for a couple of hours and it works great. The mold is non toxic and can be heated to 395 degrees. It is used to make molds for food to bake in the oven. I have posted pics of what it looks like and says. It is 19.99 at hobby lobby.

I have made 3. 1 for me, 1 for wife, and going to send one to scottyballs to try since he sparked my brain to try it. PM me scotty!

What is needed: star tool, cut off 510 cart (done with razor blade), mold putty
needed.jpg

Putty not combined (small peices rolled up)
seperatepeices.jpg

Combine putty until its light yellow with no swirls
combinedputty.jpg

Insert cut off 510 cart tip
cutofftip.jpg

Remove Excess
removeexcess.jpg

Insert star tool
startool.jpg

Remove tool (let it cure 20-25 minutes and remove) ur done!
removetool.jpg

Perfect fit, just push in with fingers, it will stop at the lip part in cart
perfectfit.jpg

Side View (out of cart)
sideview.jpg

Non toxic (used for food in oven and FDA approved...lol)
nontoxic.jpg

putty.jpg

20minutecure.jpg

Works great! No leaks, Air flow, non toxic, can be used in HV's, easy to make.

The SUPER FLUID YELLOW PLUG! lol SFY

Last edited by a moderator:

Stehle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Sunny Florida! U.S.A.
Ok, went back to hobby lobby with wife and looked everywhere for a non toxic material to use to make my own plug.

Works great! No leaks, Air flow, non toxic, can be used in HV's, easy to make.

The SUPER FLUID YELLOW PLUG! lol SFY

Well done Ego!!! :thumb:

A nice plug and something that doesn't require blue foam!

You mentioned that it worked at HV didn't you? I thought that meant High Voltage.

Oh well that abbreviation jargon is best left to modders... and here I thought the search was over. ;)

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
lol... what we gota go threw this everytime someone comes out with a mod and i comment?

Sorry guys.. your negitive comments dont out weight the possitive that my mod gives to help people stay off the smokes. I aint going anywhere so your childish remarks can take a hike.

The search is over comment is getting old too. I'm still looking for that HV mod thanks.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Well done Ego!!! :thumb:

A nice plug and something that doesn't require blue foam!

You mentioned that it worked at HV didn't you? I thought that meant High Voltage.

Oh well that abbreviation jargon is best left to modders... and here I thought the search was over. ;)

Does the newbie member have any idea how hot a HV mod gets at 6 volts under load?

RedZone

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2009
Denver, CO, USA
E(clipz) cut everyone a little slack. You are not the end to all ends in the vaping world.... You use words like "newbie", and then run cyring for moderators to protect you when the lashback occurs.. Give it a rest, before we start a poll vote, to see if the majority wish you would go elsewhere. :) (With your vapy award) lol

Last edited:

Slyice

Dec 14, 2009
Euless, TX (USA)
Crap Ego! I was just at Hobby Lobby today (getting Smart Foam ... different story). I guess I'll be making another trip tomorrow.
:grr:

Let me know how it holds up. How easy is it to refill? Does it pop out and in easily?

EDIT: Noticed you were in Fort Worthless, TX ... I'm in Euseless, TX ... maybe I'll just drive over to "verify" it works ;-)

Last edited:

Slyice

Dec 14, 2009
Euless, TX (USA)
FYI for eclipse and others. This is directly from the web site if it helps with the heating questions.

Can I bake my cured Amazing Mold Putty mold?
Yes. Amazing Mold Putty is food grade compliant up to 395 degrees F. This enables you to either bake food, polymer clay, or any other type of material in the mold without harming it.
If you plan to use the mold for food, do not use it with any other material before putting your food product into the mold to eliminate any possibility of contamination.

The Amazing Mold Putty is a very good insulator of heat, so it is highly recommended to preheat your mold as you preheat your oven to provide a more even bake process when baking food. Otherwise, your food product may cook on top but because of the thickness of your mold, the heat will take much longer to reach the food in the mold cavity and make for an unevenly cooked product.

Can I pour low melt metals into my Amazing Mold Putty Mold?
Yes. The Amazing Mold Putty will handle temperatures above 395 F but is not recommended for food above those temperatures. To provide the best mold life and the best detail reproductions when pouring low melt metals into your mold, it is highly recommended to preheat the cured mold in the oven to bring it up to a similar temperature before pouring the molten metal into the mold. This prevents the metal for solidifying as soon as it touches a cold mold and prevents a quick skin from forming. So preheat the Amazing Mold Putty mold to achieve more consistent castings and a longer mold life.

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
Try to answer all questions.

1. Yes I center the bridge with a paperclip
2. No I didnt think of molding with an old atty for the bridge shape. (I will)
3. It will vape at High temps. It wont melt unless put over 395 degrees over 60 minutes. (You can make cookie shape molds with it to cook it oven. The directions say not to cook over 395 degrees as its top temp).
4. Not a noob, just to the forums. Havent signed up at any parent forums but that doesnt mean I cant be a parent.
5. My HV chuck doesnt burn it. Vaped til I was light headed. I will make a few for some regulars on here I am familiar with to test it out. It isnt harmful and is non-toxic unlike the blue foam.

I will PM a few peoples names I know give honest feedback and mail them out for free.

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
FYI for eclipse and others. This is directly from the web site if it helps with the heating questions.

Can I bake my cured Amazing Mold Putty mold?
Yes. Amazing Mold Putty is food grade compliant up to 395 degrees F. This enables you to either bake food, polymer clay, or any other type of material in the mold without harming it.
If you plan to use the mold for food, do not use it with any other material before putting your food product into the mold to eliminate any possibility of contamination.

The Amazing Mold Putty is a very good insulator of heat, so it is highly recommended to preheat your mold as you preheat your oven to provide a more even bake process when baking food. Otherwise, your food product may cook on top but because of the thickness of your mold, the heat will take much longer to reach the food in the mold cavity and make for an unevenly cooked product.

Can I pour low melt metals into my Amazing Mold Putty Mold?
Yes. The Amazing Mold Putty will handle temperatures above 395 F but is not recommended for food above those temperatures. To provide the best mold life and the best detail reproductions when pouring low melt metals into your mold, it is highly recommended to preheat the cured mold in the oven to bring it up to a similar temperature before pouring the molten metal into the mold. This prevents the metal for solidifying as soon as it touches a cold mold and prevents a quick skin from forming. So preheat the Amazing Mold Putty mold to achieve more consistent castings and a longer mold life.

Your right around the corner from me, if you want to come to my house and pick one up. It cost $20 and I can make close to 200,000 of them.

Thanks for the research. I tried to answer before you..lol

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Again.. Does the poster know how hot the coil gets when using a 5/6 volt load on the atty? I swear i've heard a number over 300 degrees before but cant recall and that might of been for a normal 3.7v device.

Does anyone have a link where someone put a thermo probe down in the atty or other heat sensing device (i cant thin kof the name right now?) to know exactly how hot it gets.. then we will be sure this is safe to use for a high voltage plug.

Last edited:

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
Also.. is that stuff hard when it cures or is it soft?

It is soft, like silicone. 3.7v supply to atty gets around 190-200 degress, 6volts gets between 210-250 degrees. If you hold the manual button down for too long on a 510 atty it will break as the coil will fail over 235 degrees for an extended period of time. PG liquid begins to turn to vapor at 188 degrees, I dont know about VGs' liquid to vapor breakdown though.

Here is a video of the same product showing how soft it is.
YouTube - How to make silicone candy molds, cheap!

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Just read THIS post and he states a much higher temp that close to caution.. though with it wet it could be ok. I'd still say cut the plug down so it wont go that deap.

Also the test was done with a 801 and those that use a 510 atty know its a much hotter atty so i'd still like to know just how hot a 510 gets with 5/6 volts under load.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread