• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Shut Down by HC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Hey folks. Do you know of a Canadian vendor who went out of business because of a bullying letter from HC (and/or problems with Customs) - ?? Or do you know of a Canadian vendor who stopped selling juice w/nic for the same reason(s) - ??

If so, I'd like to know about it. Big vendors, small vendors, you name it. Doesn't matter how long ago or how recent it was. Anyone who has been bullied by HC or the CBSA, & ended up shutting down in part or whole as a result. Trying to get a comprehensive but very basic list together of all so-affected Canadian vape vendors - just the names, dates, & gist of what happened. So for example:

Electronic-Cigz.com
- November 2010 - ceased selling juices w/nic, due to letter from HC
Vapables.com - April 2011 - went out of business altogether, due to letter from HC

If you also know of a way to contact the affected vendors (particularly if they've gone out of business) - so that I can find out more details from them, or at least confirm the dates & basic gist of what went down - so much the better. Please post the information you have in this thread (though if you prefer, you can PM me).

Note: Please keep this thread on-topic with the requested info, rather than filling it with discussion of how crappy vendor-shutdowns are (we all know shutdowns suck). And please read first, to see if your info has already been shared, thanks.

This basic information is going to be used in an important letter to HC & various government officials. I'm not writing the letter, lol - but I am helping the person who is writing it, by trying to see if any shutdowns in Canada (for juice w/nic, or altogether) which I'm not yet aware of, have occurred. And if so - when, & why. My Google & forum-search skills have taken me so far; now it's time to see if anyone here has more to share. Again, doesn't matter how long ago it occurred - it's relevant.

Thanks for sharing, happy vaping...& vape proud!

Rachel
PeCrr.gif

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Given the current situation, I would have thought it best to inquire with those vendors still operating by contacting them directly. This would allow them to decide if they wished to be included in such letter.
Just my 2cents.

This is a very valid point.

Health Canada is not going to care and the letter will probably never be read. Hate to be the party pooper but it's true.

This is not as cut and dry as some might think. Certain vendors shut down but continued to operate under the radar, or continued to sell through other vendors. I don't know why we constantly have to re-hash this stuff. Vaping in Canada and getting supplies is pretty damn easy and hunky dory. For the vendors it's a whole 'nother ball game but your average joe vaper really isn't affected very much, if at all, by the HC advisory.

Eileithia

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
Cambridge, ON, CANADA
This is a very valid point.

Health Canada is not going to care and the letter will probably never be read. Hate to be the party pooper but it's true.

This is not as cut and dry as some might think. Certain vendors shut down but continued to operate under the radar, or continued to sell through other vendors. I don't know why we constantly have to re-hash this stuff. Vaping in Canada and getting supplies is pretty damn easy and hunky dory. For the vendors it's a whole 'nother ball game but your average joe vaper really isn't affected very much, if at all, by the HC advisory.

There hasn't been a shut-down in a while, but IF HC decided to do a massive crack-down or harassment campaign like they did a little over a year ago it could be a very different story. Also, if they decide to crack down on stuff coming in to the country to our suppliers, eventually the supply will dry out. (at least for juice). Still won't stop joe-blow consumer from purchasing from abroad, but not nearly as convenient, or fast.

I do however think this is something that should be brought directly to the existing vendors to see if they've been getting any hate-mail lately, and would like to comment. Even vendors like Jucy Clear who are still selling product, but only to other vendors now becuase of the headaches.

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Actually folks, HC has recently begun to unlawfully overstep its bounds with Canadian vendors...in a never-before-seen & hardcore way. I'm sorry that I'm not at liberty to go into detail at the moment, as the details have been revealed to me in strict confidence...but trust me when I say it's bad. It's bad enough that for the first time in 2 years, I'm stockpiling cartos.

I sincerely wish it wasn't happening...and I totally hope its an isolated case, or that it will be quashed in short order. Otherwise it's the beginning of the worst attack on Canadian vendors to date. Whether you think that matters or not, is not a topic for this thread.

Anyway. Regarding this thread: please remember that this isn't my idea & it's not my letter, lol. I'm just trying to help a friend compile a basic list of who in Canada has been bullied by HC and/or the CBSA into a partial or full-on shutdown. My friend will also certainly make every attempt to gain the permission of said vendors to mention them in their letter.

Though we all have opinions on letters, and I may in fact agree with you over their oftentimes-dubious value...this is is not a thread for debating the worth of letters. Or for discussing how much shutdowns suck...or for debating the value of even having Canadian vendors (I know there are some here who pretty much assign zero value to having them).

If you don't want to share the requested information, don't. If you do...do, lol. OK? Happy vaping & vape proud.

Rachel
PeCrr.gif

Last edited:

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
I'm in with quite a few Canadian vendors and haven't heard of anything lately happening, months ago, perhaps. Not very recently though.

People find a way to ship drugs through the mail each and every day, hell, there's an ENTIRE underground market that does so basically without issue.

The issue with Health Canada is nicotine juice anyway. There is no way in hell that it becomes impossible or even very difficult to import things like cartos, attys, batteries, etc. Even nicotine juice! There are only so many border agents and there are tens of thousands (at least) of packages coming and going through the border each and every day. The Canadian market is already fairly underground, but if push comes to shove, I believe that the vendors who are truly in this business for the vapers and not because of greed will go further underground and continue to serve however they can.

I just don't believe in fear mongering. I'm sorry, but to bring up something like that with absolutely no support and then saying "now, now, stay on topic" for it is like dangling bacon in front of a dog and laughing at it when it starts to whine.

Last edited:

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
Well I did recall reading something about the possibility of cartos being stopped because they "may" contain nicotine. Yeah ridiculous but it's just a tactic IMO.

Also via Canvape that they can't sell cartos in a box anymore. Who knows what logic lies behind that decision.

And Juggy getting strictly juice flavours, no nic, sent back. They're still at it. I believe there could easily be a crackdown. Anyway sorry for the hijack, had to chime in. I don't think the salts situation will help us either, even if it's not related.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Ok .. I REALLY tried to not post an off-topic rant, but this whole thing is a bit sketchy and I think the OP would get a better response being less vague.

From how I read this, you want to collected a list of suppliers that sold nicotine and might still, without contacting said vendors and without their opinions or permission necessarily. Generally people in the forum try to avoid talking about sellers that may sell nicotine. And this is for a letter, that is important, but not for you, for a friend. And finally, there is something bad happening, but you can't say what ?

Sorry but all of that just comes off VERY strangely and most likely why no one's jumping on the bandwagon to help.

mekks

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Well I have no hope in HC reading it, and very little trust that government officials would act without media attention drawn to it. My first question is will a letter be geared toward the media?

Also understand that "if" there is some info on the inside track that you would be limited to the info that could be posted here. That being said is there any legal counsel that can advise of the legality of what HC is doing or plans to do? If so would be a definite twist to grab media attention.

Lastly if you need people to write personal stories of their experience and success with vaping would be great to do a call out in the forum here with where to direct them. I know I'd hope on that train :toast:

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC
What's amazing to me is how anti vaping Canada is... Well it's not that amazing considering the mark up on cigarettes but anyway... I remember when I glorified Canada because of how liberal their attitude wasxxxxxxxx, flash forward to today and its just really all surprising. By the way I hear vaping is illegal in Bangkok but I can still bar fine a girl for 500 Baht in Pattaya...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread