Slow start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
In my opinion, it’s better for someone relatively new to doing so to perform Ohm’s Law calculations with a cell rated at 4.2 vDC to always assume a value of “V” to be 4.2 vDC.

I understand why you state 3.7, but for the new folks, assuming 4.2 is simply another safety factor :)

For a mech sure, but he's using a regulated mod, so let's not confuse him with that :D

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The ohms law has me a little confused. I read from what u gave me Imren is a cheap rewrapped battery. Mooch rates it at just 17 amps. If Im exceeding that in the hex ohm and putting pressure on the battery will the 30 amp battery give me a better hit? Or am I still within reason. A fully charged battery is 4.2 volts but the hex ohm only puts out 6 volts. I have a .4 ohm build so I dont think Im exceeding the 27 amp limit. But Im not sure. Im going to reread the ohms law again. I wasnt good at math.

Here's the Deal...

If you are Sketchy on Ohms Law, and if are not Very Clear on Battery Specifications like CDR, then you need to put away the Mech Mods until you are.

I'm NOT say'n this to be Mean. Or to imply that you will never Understand things. It's just you Aren't there yet. And Mech Mods have the Potential to cause a Very Bad Day if someone uses one Incorrectly.

Last edited:

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
I just use the Paranormal at 80 watts boost.

"watt boost" is not a unit of measurement... 80W with a 100W pre-heat, perhaps? I'm assuming it's set to 100W, considering your previous posts.

Anyway, stick to the Paranormal, if you like it, you're good! They're only saying this so you know the Hex Ohm is not garbage, and when you feel like learning how to build right on it, just know that you can.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Im reading all the stuff now. I think the Hex Ohm was a $200 piece of hype. It was hyped up to be great but there seems to be a lot more better regulated boxes like the one I just bought.
NO. The Hex Ohm as all mech mods do is limited by the batteries. 2 18650 won't give you more than 150w, while the Paranormal has circutry to boost whatever voltage you want to put through those coils. You're building massive metal coils and expect instantaneous ramp up time. Problem is, you have TOO MUCH METAL. Do a single or double fused, they will ramp up faster. We've explained this on several threads all through the weekend, and you don't seem to understand. We want to help you, but you want to hear other things. Change your coils, build above .4 ohms and the Hex Ohm will be a ramp up devil. And the 140w will be so plentiful you'll feel a lot of heat. But if you build much lower and much more complex coils, ramp up times will be NOTICEABLY SLOWER.
To top it off, as long as I know you are using 15A batteries on a Hex Ohm. Get some VTC5A before it's too late.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
My build gives me tremendous flavor and vapor. Now that I have the Paranormal theres no reason to change it. I just use the Paranormal at 80 watts boost. The battery lasts longer in it to.

Then there simply isn't any reason to use the hexohm v3, at all, set it on a shelf to look at or put in a drawer until you understand what you're doing & why.

To get the identical vape quality you're getting now using your DNA device you'd have to use a different 'build' using the hexohm v3 to power it ,,, which is not a mechanical,,, end of story.

Last edited:

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
7 wraps heats up fast. Thats what I have on my wifes Hex Ohm. The come in 7 wrap premaid coils but there was enough lead to get 2 extra wraps so I tried it. It heated up slowdr. So I was going to go back to u wraps but then I got the Paranormal that heats them just fine so I figured Id stick with it. My wife has 7 wraps that the coil comes with and she heats up quick. I guess 2 extra wraps was to much.

Reactions: stols001

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
7 wraps heats up fast. Thats what I have on my wifes Hex Ohm. The come in 7 wrap premaid coils but there was enough lead to get 2 extra wraps so I tried it. It heated up slowdr. So I was going to go back to u wraps but then I got the Paranormal that heats them just fine so I figured Id stick with it. My wife has 7 wraps that the coil comes with and she heats up quick. I guess 2 extra wraps was to much.
Im to lazy to go back and change it so I just started using the Paranormal.

• Optimistic

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
That's not surprising as you are not running it as hard as it can go like you were with the hex ohm.
I read everything u guys sent to read from Ohm law to everything about batteries. It said calculating a regulated device is different but didnt say how. Can u tell me how its different or send me a link. Also btw my wife loves the Hex Ohm. 7 wraps work perfect for her. There really isnt much difference between 7 and 9. I nust got 9 out of it and said to myself hell lets give her a try. So I put it in my Kennedy and my Layercake. 8 wraps even heats ok. 9 is nust the limit. A little to much. But the Paranormal kicks ..... I love it. It hits so smooth.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
A thread in the "Mech mods" sub forum is probably not the best place to discuss how to calculate battery amp drain for a regulated power device, wouldn't want anyone to get confused, but.

Here is the link explaining amp draw in plain & simple terms for a regulated 'mod' that you've been given at least 10 times before
---> Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
Of course this and all sorts of great info can be found by simply reading Mooch's blogs or watching his videos, which you've been given the links to about a dozen times in your previous threads.

The above link is for regulated power devices only, it is not for use with any mechanical device.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I read everything u guys sent to read from Ohm law to everything about batteries. It said calculating a regulated device is different but didnt say how. Can u tell me how its different or send me a link.
Zaryk said:
@Baditude seems to be more of an expert on this subject than I am. He may be better suited to answer this.
We actually have already provided links that explain the difference between how a mech mod works and how a regulated mod works, but you must have somehow missed them. Basically, mech mods use Ohm's Law while regulated mods use Watts Law. A regulated mod use "buck" (cuts the power) and "boost" (increases the power) technology in the chip. Mooch probably explains it better than I ever could:

Last edited:

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
You all have more patience than I do, spamming the forum with questions, ignoring safety warnings and advice. I don't even want to know how his batteries are being stored or carried. I have a suggestion for the next purchase... never mind, just going to click on ignore o_O

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
What number thread is this now.

Okay I'm just going to pretend you don't have a wife, while also praying strenuously for her safety.

You are mistaking RAW POWER with "ramp up time." Mechanical mods don't have even crude safety protections, the vape is created from the BUILD which draws power directly from the batteries. Since the batteries are heating the coils, well, if you put several chunks of rusty metal in there (or whatever insanely high mass build, I should say) a mech (heck in fact some regulated mods when being used in cloud competitions) is going to have a LAG time where it takes longer for the coil to heat up and be able to create vapor. At cloud competitions you will often see folks "preheat" their build by holding down the fire button BEFORE they even inhale, as they aren't wasting their valuable "lung capacity" during the time the build heats enough to provide vapor.

I use really not that powerful batteries and get really no lag time on any mod, because I use small coils that heat up quickly. For example. I have no need for a "boost" function because my coils don't need it.

If you are playing with the same build on both your devices-- Yes, the DNA device is going to use that extra power it steals from the batteries in boost mode to sort of heat the coils quicker. That is the function of "boost" or at least ONE function as I understand it.

Your DNA device is just BETTER. It's probably going to perform better in all areas, so you'll enjoy it more, even with the cruddy batteries that you have now. When you get your OH MAH GOD 2000 mAh Samsungs, you may find that your pseudo not quite mech performs better, because the battery will not be MODIFIED in any way, it will be drawn directly, so better batteries in a mech or at least MORE powerful batteries in a mech are going to perform better.

Your DNA mod is such a lovely device, it's going to do anything within its board capabilities to make your vape as awesome and desirable as it can. SO, you may be shocked to find that your new batteries make your mod like vape perform as well as or better than your DNA, depending on how you like your vape. HOWEVER, the DNA mod may remain somewhat unchanged, other than having better run time with your new batteries. You may be shocked.

However it all works out, well, stick with what you like, and please ditch the batteries you are using NOW since they are unsafe in either device (frankly) and are probably going to do nasty things at some point, it's just a matter of when. Etc.

So.... Yeah. Just-- IDK, can your wife come on here and chat and ask questions without you maybe butting into her thread would she at all be into that because I'm worried about her safety too, and also, it sounds like she is building even LOWER on HER hexohm with the same crappy batteries. She might be bright, introduce her to the forum it might be good for her. If she's just letting you do all the work and vaping well maybe she should come on here and get educated too, she might be swifter at it. She might not.

Either way, I'd love to hear from Mrs. Cooper. OMG I can't believe I just typed that, but if she comes, it might be fantastic.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The ohms law has me a little confused. I read from what u gave me Imren is a cheap rewrapped battery. Mooch rates it at just 17 amps. If Im exceeding that in the Hex Ohm and putting pressure on the battery will the 30 amp battery give me a better hit? Or am I still within reason. A fully charged battery is 4.2 volts but the Hex Ohm only puts out 6 volts. I have a .4 ohm build so I dont think Im exceeding the 27 amp limit. But Im not sure. Im going to reread the ohms law again. I wasnt good at math.

If you want the crash course explained in easier terms, read this article.
Electronics Measurement: Ohm's Law - dummies

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
What number thread is this now.

Okay I'm just going to pretend you don't have a wife, while also praying strenuously for her safety.

You are mistaking RAW POWER with "ramp up time." Mechanical mods don't have even crude safety protections, the vape is created from the BUILD which draws power directly from the batteries. Since the batteries are heating the coils, well, if you put several chunks of rusty metal in there (or whatever insanely high mass build, I should say) a mech (heck in fact some regulated mods when being used in cloud competitions) is going to have a LAG time where it takes longer for the coil to heat up and be able to create vapor. At cloud competitions you will often see folks "preheat" their build by holding down the fire button BEFORE they even inhale, as they aren't wasting their valuable "lung capacity" during the time the build heats enough to provide vapor.

I use really not that powerful batteries and get really no lag time on any mod, because I use small coils that heat up quickly. For example. I have no need for a "boost" function because my coils don't need it.

If you are playing with the same build on both your devices-- Yes, the DNA device is going to use that extra power it steals from the batteries in boost mode to sort of heat the coils quicker. That is the function of "boost" or at least ONE function as I understand it.

Your DNA device is just BETTER. It's probably going to perform better in all areas, so you'll enjoy it more, even with the cruddy batteries that you have now. When you get your OH MAH GOD 2000 mAh Samsungs, you may find that your pseudo not quite mech performs better, because the battery will not be MODIFIED in any way, it will be drawn directly, so better batteries in a mech or at least MORE powerful batteries in a mech are going to perform better.

Your DNA mod is such a lovely device, it's going to do anything within its board capabilities to make your vape as awesome and desirable as it can. SO, you may be shocked to find that your new batteries make your mod like vape perform as well as or better than your DNA, depending on how you like your vape. HOWEVER, the DNA mod may remain somewhat unchanged, other than having better run time with your new batteries. You may be shocked.

However it all works out, well, stick with what you like, and please ditch the batteries you are using NOW since they are unsafe in either device (frankly) and are probably going to do nasty things at some point, it's just a matter of when. Etc.

So.... Yeah. Just-- IDK, can your wife come on here and chat and ask questions without you maybe butting into her thread would she at all be into that because I'm worried about her safety too, and also, it sounds like she is building even LOWER on HER hexohm with the same crappy batteries. She might be bright, introduce her to the forum it might be good for her. If she's just letting you do all the work and vaping well maybe she should come on here and get educated too, she might be swifter at it. She might not.

Either way, I'd love to hear from Mrs. Cooper. OMG I can't believe I just typed that, but if she comes, it might be fantastic.

Anna

I’m dead [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Mod the Hexohm for some 30T action...

35A CDR Plumes Brah! :pervy:
30T.jpg

Status