Smok xPro M50 Mini Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekmedic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
United States
... can turn the screw head on the pin for it to be fixed or floating based on what I've tried.

Personally I would advise against this. Floating pins are not designed to be turned at all!!!! When you turn the pin from the top of the 510 you are likely going to turn it internally and twist the + wire inside, causing stress and eventually breaking the + connection.:ohmy::facepalm:
For the life of me I do not understand why there would be a slot on a floating 510 pin. If you proceed, do so with great caution.:unsure: I've taken a non-conductive piece of material and pushed on the pin to ensure it floats, YMMV:2c:

Last edited:

BliND123

Apr 21, 2014
Tyler, TX, USA
Personally I would advise against this. Floating pins are not designed to be turned at all!!!! When you turn the pin from the top of the 510 you are likely going to turn it internally and twist the + wire inside, causing stress and eventually breaking the + connection.:ohmy::facepalm:
For the life of me I do not understand why there would be a slot on a floating 510 pin. If you proceed, do so with great caution.:unsure: I've taken a non-conductive piece of material and pushed on the pin to ensure it floats, YMMV:2c:

Yeah, I've been using the flat end of a plastic pen trying to force it down to move further than it does. I opened it up last night and was trying to hold the base on it with pliers while trying to turn the screw but it just slips on me. I just need that screw (I think it is a screw, but it turns the base with cable and all inside if you don't hold it) to go down another 1mm or 1.5mm. I tried pulling the whole board out to make it easier to hold the base and move the screw but the fire pin has these plastic little tabs that catch the fire button on it that wont allow the board to slip out.

Last edited:

BliND123

Apr 21, 2014
Tyler, TX, USA
I noticed the button too, which is why I thought I could take it apart and figure out why I can't make it sit flush. But like I said the fire button has these little plastic tabs that are preventing the board from slipping out. So there has to be a way cause that rubber button only fits there.

Edit: So I opened it up again and pulled out the top far enough that I could get a good hold on the brass base the center post is screwed on, it's definitely a screw, was only able to screw it down maybe another .5mm or something (not enough but atleast it's better). I think the cable is soldered in the direction of the screw hole so I think I hit that and couldn't push it further down.

Last edited:

ObsceneJesster

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Baltimore
At first, I was bummed about it not being Passthrough capable however after using and charging it, I've decided it's not that big of a deal considering how fast it charges.

It will charge from 50% to 100% in about 45 minutes via computer USB and 50% to 100% in about 30 minutes when using my phone charger. It definitely charges faster than my other USB APV's.

This thing is just to nice not to use it because of passthrough. Size, build quality and power easily outweigh the "con" of no passthrough.

thanantos

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
At first, I was bummed about it not being Passthrough capable however after using and charging it, I've decided it's not that big of a deal considering how fast it charges.

It will charge from 50% to 100% in about 45 minutes via computer USB and 50% to 100% in about 30 minutes when using my phone charger. It definitely charges faster than my other USB APV's.

This thing is just to nice not to use it because of passthrough. Size, build quality and power easily outweigh the "con" of no passthrough.

Good to hear about the fast charging. I just bought a Panasonic ncr18650b. 3400mah should keep this thing going for quite a while considering my all day use MVP is only 2600mah.

Makes me wonder what the charger specs should be for a device like this. Any ideas?

skjames19

Jan 16, 2014
Seoul, South Korea
Just received mine today. Here are some initial thoughts

Pros: 1) Construction and design. It looks and feels great. Has a nice weight to it and the buttons do not rattle. 2) Usb port seems sturdy. 3) It seems to work as it should.

Cons: 1) Cant vape while charging! 2) Need to unscrew to get battery out. 3) ohm meter is a bit jumpy. To check the ohm, you have to press the fire button, it doesnt show the ohm when you screw it on. When I made the coil, it read 1.2ohm, then through out the day it would go to 1.6ohm to 1.5ohm to 1.3 to 1.4. Its at 1.3 now. Just now I checked it, it was at 1.3....sat it down and picked it up again and pressed fire, it was 1.4ohms. * I think this may have to do with the juices on the coil, because everytime I vape it, it usually settles at 1.2-1.3 but then when gravity brings the juices on the coil, the resistance seems to jump up a bit. I know this because when I 1st fill my atty, it always has a high resistance till I vape the juices off my coil. So I guess this might not be a problem with the m50, but just letting you guys know.

Other thoughts:
Spring loaded pin: After the crappy pin on my istick, I wanted to really check this aspect of the m50 out. I pushed down on it with a flat tip and it doesnt seem to go down that much at all. Maybe 1-2mm at most. Screwed on my GP spheroid and there is a small gap. Im too scared to try to screw it down all the way to see if I can close that gap, but its on there pretty firm right now.

Size: Its hard to get an idea of the actual size by looking at pictures online. Even watching videos on youtube seems doesnt give you an actual sense of its size. If you have an istick, the m50 feels and looks like a bloated istick. its BARELY maybe 10% larger, BUT that is the difference between looking just a tad to big to being the perfect size. My coworker even mentioned that my istick seemed small, but this m50 looks like a tank. That extra 10mm in height from 75mm to 85mm is huge when it comes to perceived size, even though its such a small difference. Same goes with the width, its barely wider than an istick, but added with the bit of height, other people seem to think this is too big but the istick seemed small.

Final thoughts: Its not what I had hoped it would be, especially the pass through was a downer. Do I feel ripped off? No, for about 50 bucks....this thing is def not a rip off. I had planned for this to be my out and about mod, but like i mentioned, its just baaarely too big for my liking. Not only the slight larger increase in size, but design also has a lot to do with perceived size. The more boxy a mod is, the bigger it looks. The istick had curves to make you think it was smaller than it actually was. Ill be using this for the time being. It not bad.

Rating: If I rate the istick at 8, -2 for the crappy pin, id rate this a 7, -2 for the no pass through and -1 for its slightly larger actual and perceived(boxy=this vs curves=isitck) size. Sorry if I sound like an istick fanboy but its the only other VW mod I have ever owned.

thanantos

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
So Vapeb2b is legit? How long does shipping take if you're in the united states?

Certainly seems that way based on the comments in this thread. I have a tracking # for mine, and it shows it's shipped.

If you order from them take a look at the Atlantis too. It was only $25. I question whether it is legit at that price, but we will see.

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
Mine is on its way! Even though passthrough woud have been nice, it is not a show stopper to me. So far, I really like the form factor and slickness.

For me it was a deal breaker. Something so simple that they left out. I went with a different 50m watt the HCigar HB 50 Watt. What ever keeps us off the cigs is the important thing :toast:

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Thanks for the review James. It's funny how perspective makes a big difference. My daily device is an MVP so the M50 feels so small and sleek.

I picked up a Panasonic 3400mah battery to put in the M50. Hopefully having 25% more battery power than my MVP will negate the USB passthrough issue.

One word of caution regarding that Panasonic NCR18650B battery, it has a 6.8 amp continuous rating and the Xpro M50 has a max amp rating of 13A. I wouldn't push that battery with any coils lower than about 1.2ohms if you plan on running the Xpro up to 50w. It's a great battery for running stock 1.6/1.8 Aspire and 1.2/1.5/1.8 Kanger coils. I'm considering the same battery for the Cloupor Mini I've ordered from FT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread