Smok Zmax misfiring constantly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradocsk9

Jan 14, 2013
Arkansas
did that, improved some. Still a lot of misfiring...:( will also quit working in the middle of a drag...very annoying. Was doing so well and was extremely pleased with the flavor of the smoke juices and the amount of vapor is just huge! This is the only quirk of the zmax that i have to complain about. The vaping experience is really nice, just wish the button would work all the time.

brhollifield

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
Hampton Roads Virginia
I have had a Zmax about the same amount of time and to this point have had no issues ( knock on wood ) - I am no electrical engineer so I wouldn't even know where to begin to help you... maybe post this same thread over in the MOD forum under Zmax? Good luck and let us know what you find.

paradocsk9

Jan 14, 2013
Arkansas
Exact same reason that my chrome cylon is sitting in the zombie box. Putting up with that button was just more than I was willing to put up with. Check to make sure that the problem is still there with a normal carto/atty before you blame the zmax tho. Can't blame the zmax if the nova is messed up.

You may be absolutely right! that is the only change i made since christmas...it may be the vivi nova head! Am at work at the moment...will check that out when i get home. I wonder if more folks with with the zmax and vivi nova heads are having the same problems??

paradocsk9

Jan 14, 2013
Arkansas
I have had a Zmax about the same amount of time and to this point have had no issues ( knock on wood ) - I am no electrical engineer so I wouldn't even know where to begin to help you... maybe post this same thread over in the MOD forum under Zmax? Good luck and let us know what you find.

What carto/atomizers are you using??? Can't post in the full member forum yet..:( just joined today and need 5 posts!

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
I was having problems with my new Viva Nova and was close to binning it. Poor vapour, then no vapor and leaking juice. When i undid the top to try a new wick i found that the original installed wick head was very loose. I popped it off and dried it on some paper towel. When i refitted it and screwed it down firmly it performed brilliantly. Seems an obvious fix but it didn't occur to me for two days !

onry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
springfield,Illinois
Exact same reason that my chrome cylon is sitting in the zombie box. Putting up with that button was just more than I was willing to put up with. Check to make sure that the problem is still there with a normal carto/atty before you blame the zmax tho. Can't blame the zmax if the nova is messed up.
I know it sounds funny but i cant wait til i acquire enough stuff for a zombie box
that way i have stuff to play with tear apart and make frakenmods :2cool:

cardenio

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2012
United States
My buttons on the way out too after i let a friend borrow it for college (i really shouldnt be surprised) the button came back stiff as a nail and misfiring. Another tale of a zmax destined to a zombie box :/ it should be noted that something like a Provari actually turned out to be college party proof. Hell my friend dropped his in the toilet last week and revived it

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
EDIT: OP, I understand your frustration. Although given to me as a gift (so I don't feel so angry when it happens), my first generation Lavatube won't fire every single time. I have to press the button twice every once in a while. Irritating, but not discouraging.

Several of my friends who bought the Zmax as soon as it hit the streets are now saying they regret their purchase. One got the Smoktech, the other got the Siegele (I know I just mangled that word).

On the Smoktech one, my friend was ...... that his plastic digital display window came loose of its own accord. He's like me, he handles his PVs like a delicate lady. Actively thinks ahead not to drop it, won't put it in a place or position that it can drop, etc. It just... poof, popped off. He was able to push it back in, but it wiggles and comes back out occasionally.

On the Siegele (sp?) one, my other friend was pushing dual coils at 12 watts (not sure what that averages out to in voltages, I'm horrible at math) and he got a LOW LOAD screen and it stopped firing altogether. I'm pretty sure it was user error on this particular thing, though.

I'm holding out for Vamo stories. I'm really eager to get my hands on one of those. But I want it to be out a couple of months and see if any horror stories start rolling in about it. I am definitely getting a Provari mini at tax return time.

Once I get those two, I think I'll be a very, very, VERY happy vaper. My journey will be something something something dark side something something something complete. ;-)

Last edited:

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Hello all!

I have had my zmax since christmas..no problems until now. 5 times out of 10 the zmax will have no power when i mash the button to vape. Am using 3.7 volt IMR 18350 batteries x2 (800mah). Vivi nova head. Is anyone else having this problem?? Should i send my zmax back and get a replacement?

Are your batteries flat top or nipple top? If you're using 2 flat tops that could be your problem. Try pulling your spring a little. If I use 18350s I either use nipple tops or one flat top and one nipple top with the nipple top on the bottom for best results.

When the Vmax first came out lots of people had problems when using 2 18350 flat tops.

paradocsk9

Jan 14, 2013
Arkansas
Are your batteries flat top or nipple top? If you're using 2 flat tops that could be your problem. Try pulling your spring a little. If I use 18350s I either use nipple tops or one flat top and one nipple top with the nipple top on the bottom for best results.

When the Vmax first came out lots of people had problems when using 2 18350 flat tops.

I am using 2x nipple tops. Pulled the spring like you suggested, and still having issues..:(

Just my own opinion. I'm using a Vmax and i think they are similar in some ways and i've encountered what you're facing. Here's a lil tip. If you're using Nipple tops it might be too high pushing the PCB boards inside causing the button to misalign. Try this. Give your pv a not too hard tap against the table with your atomizer/carto facing up. Mine does the trick. And i've changed to IMRs, so far so good.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread