So, how much $ do you spend, .........Really??

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottg

Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
happy camp
www.snowcrest.net
OK guys, time to fess up.
I started vaping a few weeks/months ago now. I love it. vaping really is the answer.
I wouldn't go back to smoking cigarettes now if you paid me.
But, I am poor. Honestly poor. I live in the country on a tiny fixed income, basically other peoples "lunch money".
And its still costing me a fortune! I could have bought a 2 year supply of "Indian reservation" analogs for what I've spent so far, and I am combing for rock bottom prices all the time.
I found a wonderful, not really commercial dealer in Texas (sells off her dining room table) of all places, who treats me great!
Discounts on everything and free samples galore etc etc. So I'd never complain about her.
I am using single bottom coil tanks, drooling over twin coils, but what-am-I Rockefeller? Going from the standard 2ohm to 1.8ohm coils in a standard clearomizer makes a huge difference. If you are brand new at this try the lower ohm coils, trust me.
I made a dreadful mistake early on. I started with 650ohm batteries. These are just too small. No way they make enough vapor for anyone's satisfaction. Wasted money there. I find that 1100's at least sizzle the coil and don't cost hardly anything more. Once again if you are new and want to enjoy vaping, but not spend a lot of money? start with 1100's at least.
Some of the regular suppliers from the site here have sales!! I found a couple selling 10ml bottles of juice for 2 bucks apiece! 6 or 8 dollars for a 15ml bottle of juice just sucks!! Watch out for that. I stumbled across one I simply love. I ordered it along with some others (most of which I didn't like), and it turned out to be my total favorite of anything! Even better than Cosmic Fog's Milk and Honey, which is also great, but its very costly. I just ordered 8 more bottles. :) heh

So vapers, whenever I read the forum I keep reading buy this $200 worth of gear or that $225 and upgrade to this or that. Does anyone actually pay attention to how much money they are spending to vape? Or does it just seem like unfettered money spending from here?
Is there any really good hardware that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars?

And how much a month do you really spend? Add it up, be honest. :)
yours Scott

Yorkshire_pudding

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2015
Scarborough UK
Some months about £20 for liquid and a couple of coils if i get pre made coils a little less if i rebuild.
If shinyitis kicks in well i guess it depends how much money i have, might be a new tank or battery or some premium juice.
The initial cost can be quite a bit whilst finding a setup that works for you and a liquid you like at a reasonable price. Quite a lot of people get into DIY liquid to help reduce the costs.
One problem reading the forum so much is all the nice devices people have, so much shiny objects to try and so little money.

I'm a horrible impulse shopper. I'll hop online to order a big bottle of my favorite juice and end up spending $50-$75 more than I intended. Since I live in Alaska I always try to reach that spending mark to get the free shipping that most sites offer...at least that's how I justify it to myself.

At the moment I think I'm about $400-$450 invested after 5 weeks. That was $115 for my mod and tank, and the rest of that mostly juice and rebuild-able supplies. During this five weeks...I have definitely spent more on vaping than I would have on cigarettes, but I blame it on the fact that there is a billion different types of juices and I love trying new flavors. I have also ordered a few other cheap RTAs because the subtank mini is giving me problems and I need to experiment with other tanks and see if the STM is just picky or if I'm wicking wrong entirely.

Anyway, I am absolutely certain that once I have a few favorite juices picked out then my monthly costs will be far less than what I was spending on cigarettes. In Alaska it's a no brainer. I know cigarettes are more expensive in some other places, but I used to spend $8-$10 for a pack of marbs...for that much I can get a bottle of juice that will last me 3-4 days easy. That would mean I'm spending literally half as much on juice as I would have on smokes, but that's JUST factoring in juice cost and not all the other cool stuff you can buy for your vape.

In 2014 I spent ZERO-NATA- not a damn dime.
So far in 2015 I've spent about $150 (for another Provari & an iStick 50)
I haven't bought a bottle of juice for 3 years.
I don't expect to spend any more this year.

Do you make you own or get it for free or what? How have you not bought juice in 3 years? I hardly go 3 days without buying juice, lmao

Msand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2014
WI
So far this year i am out about $140.00. Had a Fastech order in January that was about $60.00 and i ran out of some of my favorite flavorings this month. $40.00 for those. I also got the shinies and purchase a new $40.00 tank. When you make your own juice, coils, and find that one devices. The prices can go way down. You just have to tell yourself enough is enough of the shinies.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    About $600 since my join date.

-I got a starter kit with 2 3.7volt egos and was satisfied enuf to get off smokes. I stuck with egos until last OCT.

-I rightoff enjoyed unflavored juice which is cheap and DIY.

_I went to Cartos and got a month out of each @ $per.

If I had joined lately I could do it cheaper yet with a cheap mech, atty and wire.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 21, 2013
    chattanooga, tn, usa
    Hello, Squarebanks! :) You must do all your vaping shopping on line. When visiting dau. and her family last July, couldn't find any B&M's in Fairbanks. Do you know vaping is being attacked in Alaska and some harsh regs are being proposed? :(

Meanwhile, I spend per month what my smoking cost me; and for any special day of gift giving, I get something vape related......Jeans have holes, but, hey, suppose to be fashionable! :p

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 8, 2013
    New York
    The satisfaction justifies the cost in my opinion.

I bought a few things, one high watt box, a mechanical(clone) on its way, and about three RDAs and three RTAs, mostly clones.

Vape unflavored liquid and I'm starting to see a lot of savings now since all I buy is the liquid now.

I look at nice things online, but put my credit card in another room.

Msand

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 5, 2014
    WI

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    I spend next to nothing. If I broke it down by month then I spend maybe $10 per month for both me and my wife combined.

That's going to change soon though. I haven't bought a mod for myself in almost a full year, and I've been wanting a dual 18650 mod for a while now. I'm going to be picking up an IPV4 a couple of weeks after those hit the shelves. However, that and a pack of coils for my wife is probably all I'll spend for the remainder of the year. It still works out to less than $20 per month.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Is there any really good hardware that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars?

And how much a month do you really spend? Add it up, be honest. :)

Hi Scott. I truly understand your plight. I also have had major financial issues recently; I currently have no income and savings are depleted. I live in a very rural area with my brother with no nearby vape shops. I have only spent money on e-liquid and a couple of new batteries in the last several months.

I am a sort of Consumer Reports type of person. I like to research before I buy. About three years ago I purchased two mods because of their stellar reputation, excellent reviews, USA made, customer support for life, etc.

Silver Bullet mechanical mod from AltSmoke - You can put any juice delivery device on a SB. It has a 510 connector, so if you use a clearomizer with eGo threading you'll need to get an eGo-to-510 adaptor. It uses 18650 IMR batteries. If you don't have charger for these batteries you'll need one.

Provari regulated mod from Provape - Again, 510 connector. Depending upon the model you choose, it will take an 18350 IMR (mini Provari) or an 18490 IMR (standard Provari). Getting an battery extender will allow you to use a 18490 in the mini, or a 18650 in the standard.

These are what I have been using for three years, and I'd buy the same thing all over again if given the choice. This is one of the few cases where you actually get what you pay for.

Proper Terminology: Juice Delivery Devices

Once you have a dependable vaping setup (along with a backup), your subsequent vaping expenses should be just for replenishing e-liquid . . . and maybe replacement coils/cartomizers if that is what you use. I learned to "rebuild". . . I make my own coils from wire and wick from cotton. This REALLY SAVES MONEY! A years supply of wire and cotton is around $10.

Information Resources for Your First RBA

Reactions: zapped

kaahn

ECF Veteran
    Mar 26, 2015
    Eastern NC
    There is a great app that I use to keep track of all my purchases. It also tells me how much I have saved from my smoking habit since I quit. Currently I am only $300 bucks over my break even point from my initial investment...mods and the like. The app will also keep track of your break even point as well as juice recipes. I Had to find out what worked for me. All in all I'm pleased. Now all I have to spend is money on juices and the occasional new mod or tank/rba. I currently am researching DIY at the moment and will eventually make the switch to making my own juices.

If anyone is interested in the app it is called Vape by Andy's Apps

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread