So...my freaking battery just caught on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
Here is a Thread where someone made a Charging BOOM Box.

6865918105_7e5cfd73fd_z.jpg

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sion/268038-battery-boom-box.html#post5291667

Maybe you can take some of His Ideas if you decide to make one yourself.

Think I found another project to work on.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This really scares the heck out of me. I own a metal fab shop and I think I am going to start working on something to put our charges in. This will make them a lot safer. Will take some pics and post them when I get it done.

Think I found another project to work on.

I like the Concept, I just don't like it being Metal.

Something about a Metal Box with a 110 Volt charger in it just doesn't seem rigth To Me.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Would fiberglass work?

Some Aramid Composites are Flame and Heat Resistant. But some can give of some Very Nasty Fumes when Heated or in Contact with Flames.

I’m sure that there would be a Good Choice available. I just don't know off the top of my haed What it might be.

Woven Silica Fabric lining a Metal Box might be a Good Call.

Last edited:

Figgy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
California
I may design such a charger. At least for my own personal use. Would feel more comfortable to put my battery in a charger before bed and take it out in morning with no worry, I like to have a hassle and worry free lifestyle especially when I work hard for my home and the children that I love that live in it - part of my whole reasoning for quitting smoking in the first place.

With ~ $30 worth of electrical parts using this Arduino - HomePage I could design a charger that could.......

1. constantly monitor charge voltage and display it on a 2 digit L.E.D display.
2. provide a non intrusive short 'beep' every 5 min or so when charge is > 4.0v
3. provide a audible alarm when charging is done.
4. completely and automatically remove battery from circuit when battery charge = 4.1v ( or this could be adjustable to user's liking )
5. all of this circuit and battery holder enclosed in a fire safe metal or aluminum case for preventative battery failure. ( a battery can still fail with all these measures in mind while charging, until we find better chemicals for use in batteries like the new LiFop ) .

Most current battery chargers do already turn the LED from red to green when finished , but continue to provide a 'trickle' charge. This can still be dangerous especially if the batteries are old, droped,cheap Chinese knock offs, or under higher than designed current draws.

The Arduino is a very powerful platform for hobbyist and inventors.

A quick Google shows that there are some people out there who've been playing around with that. That's one of the great things about Arduino: the community.

Figgy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
California
Noob question:

So I know I've read of cases of this happening with mobiles and laptops but it seems like it's much less frequent. Can someone explain to me why?

Do those systems generally have better built in protections? Different/better quality batteries? If I moved to something like Provari where I could have more of a choice of batteries and chargers, would it be easy to find a safer (though not 100% safe) system.

Figgy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
California
I charge 5-6 batteries at a time. I'm thinking of using an extension cord and charging the batteries in the oven with the door lightly closed. Only problem with that is it's a gas oven. Maybe the dishwasher would work.

Seems like that bag that DC2 recommended would be preferable to possibly damaging a major appliance.

beamrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2012
C-Bus
I like the Concept, I just don't like it being Metal.

Something about a Metal Box with a 110 Volt charger in it just doesn't seem rigth To Me.

It's not. It's a metal box with 2 5vdc chargers in it. I might look into that type of box for my 6 bay xtar, looks like a smart idea actually.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's not. It's a metal box with 2 5vdc chargers in it. I might look into that type of box for my 6 bay xtar, looks like a smart idea actually.

Actually you are Correct.

Perhaps what I should have said is I Don't feel comfortable using a charger If the 110 volt Cord or the 110 volt portion of the Charger is in Contact with a Metal Box.

beamrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2012
C-Bus
I agree with you there, would have to have some sort of grommet in the hole. Hmmmm, gives me an idea actually, you could use a computer power supply plug, mount it in the box, and then run wires from that to the charger. WOuld give you a detachable cord situation, and those cords are readily available. THat's one thing I do like about the xtar, it uses a wall wart, to deliver I think 12vdc to the charger. Don't have to deal with add'l heat from the power supply affecting the charger.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Noob question:
Do those systems generally have better built in protections? Different/better quality batteries? If I moved to something like Provari where I could have more of a choice of batteries and chargers, would it be easy to find a safer (though not 100% safe) system.

All of the vaporizers that Provape sells (Provari, Mini, and Provape-1) have built-in protection circuitry. In the case of the Provari or Mini, it will refuse to fire if it senses an unsafe situation and provide an error code as to why it is doing so.

Provape has strong recommendations on using only high quality AW brand batteries. And also recommends only the high drain, or IMR class, batteries.

The two battery rechargers that Provape sells (Pila and Xtar)are top of the line, using special algorhythms that are safer and may actually prolong the overall battery life of your batteries. Worth the initial larger investment in the long run.

You didn't skimp on price when you purchased your Provari. Don't skimp on the batteries or charger you use with it.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I thought when the light turns green, the charger stops charging. Am I wrong? Cause I always keep my batteries on the charger even if they,re fully charged until I need them.
Wait for a better answer than mine, because I'm no expert...

I think the charger stops charging, but monitors the battery and kicks in a "trickle charge" to keep it topped up.
I also think that I might be explaining it incorrectly.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread