Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It occurs to me you might mean “snap in” stuff that won’t require and desoldering and resoldering. I don’t think anything like that exists. The main power leads to the batteries are basically always going to be soldered I think. The best that can be done I think is “can you get a new board at all?”

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
There are some proprietary designs such as the Wismec Luxotic BF and the Reload Vapor dual parallel cell squonker. But there are also some higher end squonk mods from Proteus Progeks and SVA Mods that house the OEM Bomber Pro Dual Mosfet chip. No idea how user friendly these are to replace.

dna boards are technically not a Mosfet, but given their popularity the boards are most likely more available than the Bomber Pro Mosfet

To add, some other aftermarket Mosfet’s available to the public include the Clickfet, Switchfet and Bomberino.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There are some proprietary designs such as the Wismec Luxotic BF and the Reload Vapor dual parallel cell squonker. But there are also some higher end squonk mods from Proteus Progeks and SVA Mods that house the OEM Bomber Pro Dual Mosfet chip. No idea how user friendly these are to replace.

DNA boards are technically not a Mosfet, but given their popularity the boards are most likely more available than the Bomber Pro Mosfet

To add, some other aftermarket Mosfet’s available to the public include the Clickfet, Switchfet and Bomberino.
This post caused me to finally look up this one.
MOSFET - Wikipedia

So a mosfet is just a single transistor on a chip then which would have to be resoldered onto a board, whereas here it seems to usually refer to the entire circuit board. The DNA board isn’t a mosfet, but it has mosfets on it then.

Since the term is used interchangeably with “entire circuit board” here it’s hard to tell which one the OP is interested in

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
This post caused me to finally look up this one.
MOSFET - Wikipedia

So a mosfet is just a single transistor on a chip then which would have to be resoldered onto a board, whereas here it seems to usually refer to the entire circuit board. The DNA board isn’t a mosfet, but it has mosfets on it then.

Since the term is used interchangeably with “entire circuit board” here it’s hard to tell which one the OP is interested in

Correct a MOSFET is technically just a transistor. But in the vape industry the term MOSFET is used to classify a certain type of device. Like how we classify the circuity for a regulated device as a Chip. It is not a Chip, but a circuit that houses a microchip along with other components.

MOSFET devices are of fixed voltage, similar to a mechanical, but may offer additional features IF such features are implemented. These devices can be as simple as a single MOSFET transistor connected to a switch, or they could employ a small circuit which, in some cases can be utilized within a device without the need of soldering.

Not a squonker, but the Stratum 0 Prestige is a MOSFET tube mod that employs such features as 3 clicks on/off, polarity protection, short circuit protection, 10 second timer, low voltage protection AND who’s MOSFET circuit can easily be removed and replaced without the need of soldering wires or additional components.

Current DNA boards employ a multitude of components – no idea if MOSFET Transistors are used for I have never reversed engineered one. But as it is referred to in the vape industry, a DNA board is not a MOSFET. And although the OP did not elaborate, given the definition of MOSFET within the vape industry, I somewhat doubt they are looking for a complete circuit that allows soldered transistors to be removed.

Stratum.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Correct a MOSFET is technically just a transistor. But in the vape industry the term MOSFET is used to classify a certain type of device. Like how we classify the circuity for a regulated device as a Chip. It is not a Chip, but a circuit that houses a microchip along with other components.

MOSFET devices are of fixed voltage, similar to a mechanical, but may offer additional features IF such features are implemented. These devices can be as simple as a single MOSFET transistor connected to a switch, or they could employ a small circuit which, in some cases can be utilized within a device without the need of soldering.

Not a squonker, but the Stratum 0 Prestige is a MOSFET tube mod that employs such features as 3 clicks on/off, polarity protection, short circuit protection, 10 second timer, low voltage protection AND who’s MOSFET circuit can easily be removed and replaced without the need of soldering wires or additional components.

Current DNA boards employ a multitude of components – no idea if MOSFET Transistors are used for I have never reversed engineered one. But as it is referred to in the vape industry, a DNA board is not a MOSFET. And although the OP did not elaborate, given the definition of MOSFET within the vape industry, I somewhat doubt they are looking for a complete circuit that allows soldered transistors to be removed.

View attachment 831767
So basically the vape industry badly misuses the term. According to the wider definition a mosfet is basically ANY modern transistor. A computer CPU would house millions of them. Anything with a circuit board and logic of any kind would be a mosfet board. I suppose there were early very primitive designs that didn’t have mosfets on them which must be how the term usage came about. So anything with a screen is going to by definition be a mosfet device. As would almost anything with a LiPo battery, as they need logic for basic safety protections.
So what is meant by mosfet in the vape industry is apparently something with minimal electronics. Protected mechs perhaps.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
So what is meant by mosfet in the vape industry is apparently something with minimal electronics. Protected mechs perhaps.
Basically, mosfet in the vaping world is a 'characterizing' term meaning the device is electronically switched as opposed to a true mechanical which is, well, mechanically switched (pressing the button physically moves a contact to complete the circuit). A mosfet mod may have additional electronic protections, or it may not. When you get to fully regulated mods, we don't call them 'mosfet' mods because that isn't much of a characterizing feature compared to the voltage/wattage/temp regulation features of the board.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Basically, mosfet in the vaping world is a 'characterizing' term meaning the device is electronically switched as opposed to a true mechanical which is, well, mechanically switched (pressing the button physically moves a contact to complete the circuit). A mosfet mod may have additional electronic protections, or it may not. When you get to fully regulated mods, we don't call them 'mosfet' mods because that isn't much of a characterizing feature compared to the voltage/wattage/temp regulation features of the board.
All switches are by that definition mechanical. Even the ones on VV mods. It strikes me as a misleading, vague, and probably outdated term.

Definition of terms aside though, aside from drop in protection disks for mechs such as kicks, there probably isn’t going to be anything that isn’t a proprietary part. The closest thing I think there would be these days is full on VV boards sold for making DIY devices, and those usually come with battery wiring attached and need to be soldered to battery contacts.
I could be wrong about that, but I suspect the days of drop in parts are more or less gone.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
All switches are by that definition mechanical. Even the ones on VV mods. It strikes me as a misleading, vague, and probably outdated term.
Not in terms of circuit completion ... a VW/VW board is already powered (assuming a battery is installed) and in a complete circuit --- button presses aren't completing THE circuit, just a little signalling circuit to then control how the electricity flows elsewhere. This is also why a regulated mod or mosfet mod can malfunction and autofire without any button press, even when supposedly "off", because there is no physical/mechanical break in the circuit, just electronic gating.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
There are many different types of transistors, depending on design, a circuit may not employ a MOSFET – so no, anything with a screen is not by definition a MOSFET device.

There are makers of OEM MOSFET circuits for vaping, I named a few above. Don’t know how one would implement one of these MOSFET circuits into a Squonk device for an easy plug and play swap given the added complexity needed to feed liquid to your atomizer. But purchasing something like a SVA Squonk Mod, as an example, could give a user an added sense of longevity given that it utilizes an off the shelf Bomber Pro MOSFET circuit and not something that is proprietary and possibly difficult to obtain.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Not in terms of circuit completion ... a VW/VW board is already powered (assuming a battery is installed) and in a complete circuit --- button presses aren't completing THE circuit, just a little signalling circuit to then control how the electricity flows elsewhere. This is also why a regulated mod or mosfet mod can malfunction and autofire without any button press, even when supposedly "off", because there is no physical/mechanical break in the circuit, just electronic gating.
Yes. It is effectively a switch that switches another switch. In the end though it’s still a contact that completes a circuit.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
A MOSFET (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor) is an electromagnetic switch that can pass higher amperage than a regular transistor. It's also a variable resistor, meaning its output can be modulated. The term has become popular among hardware enthusiasts since MOSFETs are also found in computer graphics cards and the acronym sounds cool.

Using the name of one component to describe the entire board smacks of some goof pretending to be more sophisticated than he really is. Like how some people used to refer to the entire case/tower part of a desktop computer as the hard drive.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
A MOSFET (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor) is an electromagnetic switch that can pass higher amperage than a regular transistor. It's also a variable resistor, meaning its output can be modulated. The term has become popular among hardware enthusiasts since MOSFETs are also found in computer graphics cards and the acronym sounds cool.

Using the name of one component to describe the entire board smacks of some goof pretending to be more sophisticated than he really is. Like how some people used to refer to the entire case/tower part of a desktop computer as the hard drive.
I more or less agree, I think. The origional issue remains though. What exactly is the OP looking for and can it be found anymore?

Why s/he is looking for it would also help

• Agree
Reactions: GOMuniEsq

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I'm just wondering if there is a non regulated squonker out there that has some form of protection like, my Reos has a collapsible spring, my gus mech mod has a fuse between the 510 of the topper, and the battery, ect, ect.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm just wondering if there is a non regulated squonker out there that has some form of protection like, my Reos has a collapsible spring, my gus mech mod has a fuse between the 510 of the topper, and the battery, ect, ect.
So what you’re looking for is some sort of protected device who’s wearable parts can be replaced. Vapocaplypse stuff?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

There are a number of them. Some use a proprietary circuit where others, usually the more higher end devices, use an off the shelf circuit like what I mentioned above.

If looking for a cheaper device, Wismec Luxotic BF, Wotofo Recurve, Asmodus Luna, Reload Squonker are a few that come to mind. All employ a proprietary circuit which I have doubts replacements could be found. The Reload is a dual parallel cell but in a fairly small package considering.

Higher end devices such as SVA, Estoque, Proteus Progeks, Limelite, to name a few. Some of these such as the SVA and Proteus use an off the shelf (OEM) MOSFET circuit like the Bomber Pro, where the Limelite and Estoque use a custom implementation, so not sure of availability – inquire with the manufacture.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

Suspect the term came from early modders soldering a MOSFET in series between the cells and fire switch. The MOSFET circuit, within the Stratum as an example, is essentially the same but in a cleaner package with additional components such as the switch.

Mosfet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread