Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I don't know if this has been discussed for and I'm not entire sure what terms I should be searching on because I'm not entirely sure what the terminology is for what's going on here.

My favouring ADV is a key lime pie vape. It's a simple mix of Key Lime and Pie Crust flavours from Perfumer's Apprentice.

My issue is that, freshly mixed, it's an awesome vape with a nice bit of tanginess to it. However, I have to make it in small 10ml batches because if I let it steep for more than 3-4 days, the tanginess starts to fade, and if left to itself it'll settle into more of a sweet lime flavour with no tartness to it whatsoever.

So my question would be, how would I stabilize this in order to maintain that tangy, freshly mixed flavour? I've considered maybe having to add a small amount of malic acid, but I'm not sure if it would have the same characteristics (it more of a sour than a tart additive, though the distinction is slim) and it would likely mean I'd have to let it steep before I vaped it. That in itself isn't a big deal but I'd kind of like to know if it's worth trying before I do so. Otherwise is there something I should be adding that could stabilize the flavour? Something like the opposite of MTS vape Wizard?

Thanks.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I dont know if this will help but I found my mountain dew faded the same way. I added 1 Drop per 5ml of straight fresh squeezed lemon juice and that juice is over two weeks old and did not lose any flavor yet. Might be worth a shot.

Interesting idea. I wonder if the citric acid has preservative properties? I'll have to give that a shot, thanks. :)

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Ooh, now there's a solution I can get behind. I didn't want to squeeze a bit of lime because I wanted to avoid putting perishable stuff in my juice. Now I'm gonna have to go find out where I can get my hands on some. (My local vendor that carries LorAnn's doesn't carry that particular one.) Thanks for the tip! That should be just what I need.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
Ive had zero issues using fresh lemon or lime juice, just an fyi. pg and vg have some antiseptic qualities i think, or i remember reading something along those lines so maybe it stabilizes it. I do however strain it twice thru a coffee filter. I keep the fresh lemon and lime juice bottled in the fridge for use with mixing and its been great so far. Im sure citric and malic acids might do the trick. Just thought Id share my experience with it. I know alot of people use real lemon squeeze bottled stuff but there were some extra ingrediwnts in those i wasnt sure it was safe to vape. i just went the all natural route.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Yeah, I thought about buying a lime, straining it and putting a few drops in the juice. Might even lend a bit of authenticity to the vape. :) However I've also been looking at places to get granulated citric acid as well. That might be a better shelf-stable solution, and it's dirt cheap to boot.

Bought my citric acid at the grocery store, it was in section with the spices

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
when buying citric acid like that at the store is it a powder? liquid? how is it used or mixed for use with eliquids??

inquiring minds want to know! lol

It comes as crystallized grains, rather like sugar. It's natural and water soluble, though having never used it before I don't know at what concentration, but I don't imagine you need much. You can usually get it for $2-3 a pound or so, which I imagine would last a few days less than forever. :)

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
So how much of these powders to you dilute into how much pg? Is it shelf stable or does it need to be kept in the fridge?

It should be shelf stable -- citric acid and PG are both preservatives. As for how much -- no idea there since I have yet to try it, so I don't know how concentrated it is and therefore how much to add to a juice. Hopefully I'll find out soon enough though. :)

YorkieGirl1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2012
Pennsylvania
4grams = 1 teaspoon, so I use 1/2 teaspoon for 10ml pg (20%). Some only do 1/4 teaspoon (10%) - i like it stronger then I can use less of it to get the same effect in my DIY - just whichever you prefer.

So how much of these powders to you dilute into how much pg? Is it shelf stable or does it need to be kept in the fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread