Steeping experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
There are some old posts on the forum about heat steeping if you do a search. I was interested because I'm not usually a patient person and as I'm getting into DIY I'm wanting to try my mixes right away and not have to wait weeks for them to steep. I have not tried it yet, but I've only done one mix since I got my DIY supplies in on Monday (I've meant to do more but I tire out at night after work so I've just been relaxing with my vape in the evenings this week). This weekend I plan to go after it. May or may not try the heat steep.

What I might do is make 2 batches of a mix and heat steep one and do a traditional steep on the other. Might give me an idea of what the effect is.

Jered

May 12, 2018
West Michigan
Effects of Heat on Nicotine Degradation | E-Cigarette Forum

The purpose of this thread is to get solid heat steeping experiments to simulate the effects of natural steeping with as little flavor or nicotine degradation. If you are a heat steeper, please post your methods. If you are a heat steeping experimentor, please post your experiments. Please refrain from the typical "heat degrades nicotine" or "heat degrades flavor" comments. Im trying to reproduce the best heat steeping method.

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
I guess you don't want "heat degrades nic/flavor" comments just to keep people from being generally negative in this thread. I've read in other threads (can't seem to locate the specific one right now) that due to the degradation of nicotine you want to keep your heat steep at or below 140-150 degrees F. Hopefully that's a helpful comment.

And the purpose of doing the experiment of course is to see how different flavors react to the heat. Some flavors may do well, but it might hurt others. Guess you don't really know til you try.

Jered

May 12, 2018
West Michigan
Positive. +1. The only link i've seen so far was an experiment that tested nicotine at 180 degrees for 8 hours. From your knowledge and from what i've heard also, that seems quite excessive. Can someone please post a link referring to different temperature and time experiments testing nicotine degradation?

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I am in the process of creating an experiment using heated steeping.
Lots of folks have had success speed aging. Good luck.
re: r/DIY_eJuice - DIY Mythbusting

Could fill in your location, it may help you in obtaining location specific information to your question(s) in the future.
On the top right hand corner of this post you will find --"your name" next to "Inbox and Alerts"
Place the mouse pointer on your name. You will get a drop down and on the left hand side of this drop down you will find "Personal Details". Click Personal Details.
In Personal Details, in middle of screen in gray, you will find "Location" Could fill that box line in.
re: New users - Put your location in your Profile...

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I'm working with a vacuum steep now. Basically, I heated 700ml of the flavored base in a mason jar, then sealed it, as you would with making pickles or the like. This is a creamy vanilla base, and no nicotine is added until I draw some from the base jar into a dispenser bottle. I hope to reduce the one month steep time of the base. I will crack the seal in a week to sample.

Jered

May 12, 2018
West Michigan
I'm working with a vacuum steep now. Basically, I heated 700ml of the flavored base in a mason jar, then sealed it, as you would with making pickles or the like. This is a creamy vanilla base, and no nicotine is added until I draw some from the base jar into a dispenser bottle. I hope to reduce the one month steep time of the base. I will crack the seal in a week to sample.
Awesome!! Please keep us updated!
@BrotherBob thanks for the info about changing location

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sounds good. I've only ever done a "quick and dirty" heat steep if someone wants me to make them juice and they want to leave with it. I will let it sit in a bath of hot water (tap hot, which in our house only a bit below boiling, LOL) for about 30 minutes. For my own mixing, I'm pretty much on a schedule now, so really if anything sometimes, I'd like them to steep slower.... My next batch I will be doing more flavors but in less amounts. I'm a MTL vaper though.

I think heat has its uses, I also think that once one gets into a rhythm with DIY and consumption, it's less necessary. For testing new flavors, I will sometimes do a short water bath just to cut down on how long I have to wait, etc.

Anna

Whiplash

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2013
Idaho
Sorry, but mine's not a very "scientific" procedure. I am not a patient person and, from experience, I new juice needed time to mature so my first speed steeping was done in an ultrasonic cleaner. Four hours in the ultrasonic and a day on the shelf seemed to work. A year later I found a deal on a heater magnetic stir table. Three hours at 100 deg f and one day on the shelf. I wish I had pulled samples every hour to test the flavor as it changed but...
The Ultrasonic cleaner and the stir table are in storage now so my speed steeping is done on a gas range. I put the bottles of ejuice in a pan of water on low for four hours.
I could possibly get it done in less time; I don't know. It works for me.
Good luck.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Over the years many folks have tried numerous ways to speed steep their diy juice with heat being the most popular and used method. A little time spent searching this sub forum should save you a ton of time on your experiment by eliminating known failures. Using the words "steep" and "heat" in the search function should return countless results.

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
So I'm about to try a heat steep. I made a caramel nut tobacco recipe yesterday (I discuss in this thread). I made two versions, one with Capella Caramel and one with Signature RY4 Double, the RY4 Double one has 1% FW Dark Chocolate in it.

So after my 24 hour taste test I'm really pleased with the way both have progressed. So I just made another test batch of the RY4 Double/Dark Chocolate version and I'm going to try to heat steep it and see what that does. I'm shooting for 140 degrees and I'll try one hour. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
Well, did my heat steep. I should mention that keeping the temperature controlled was something of a pain (cheap Toastmaster slow cooker doesn't have a switch so I had to keep unplugging it and plugging it back in) but I was able to keep the temperature in the range of 137-143 degrees.

So did that for an hour, let it cool for 20 minutes, then tasted. In the 510 atomizer this didn't taste all that much different than what I made yesterday after it had steeped for 24 hours. Still very vapable, the pecan hasn't faded as much but the tobacco, caramel, and chocolate have come out. The flavors seem to play nice together.

I figured I'd go ahead and put some in a tank, I think the pecan will smooth out in about a day and it'll be really good. In the tank at 11 watts this is actually better. The tobacco and caramel come out more.

I'll try the other batch at 3 days steep and see if I can make a comparison, it's hard to say right now how much effect the heat had.

Jered

May 12, 2018
West Michigan
I just did a heat steep with my crock pot at 110 degrees for 9 hours. I keep my hamilton beach at warm with the lid off with 15ml bottles. And it loses about a degree per hour. I mixed flavor/vg/pg, heated for an hour, blended, then mixed my nicotine then heat for 8 hours.I want mine to settle for 24 hrs. This isnt the exact experiment i wanted to do. But im living j2j(juice to juice) right now. Im in the process of fine tuning my experiments as im learning a lot of science right now. All of your input is greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread