Status
Not open for further replies.

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a glorious New Year!

th

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Although I have only been lurking and not posting as often - how could I not stop by and wish everyone . . .

Happy-New-Year-2017-Animated-GIF-Images-for-Sharing....gif

As Always Sending . . .

"GOOD VIBES" & "Healthy Thoughts"

To One & All . . . :D

AND - While "We" all have an uncertain future ahead of "Us" - I hope that all you seek will come to "You" & "Yours" during the coming year . . . Cheers
dancingaround.gif

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Recently had my annual DOT physical. During the check-in process I had to fill out a questionnaire. Answered yes to the "do you smoke" question. When the girl asked "how much?" My answer was, Well, I had 1 yesterday and 2 or 3 five days before that, I vape.

Noticed a couple days later that, on the the official form she had classified me as.... Ex-smoker converted to ecig.

How cool is that?

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
I'm still here. I can't believe how dead this thread got after how busy it used to be. A lot of the former regulars don't seem to be active on ECF at all now.

I'm still not smoking at all for over 4 years now. I never would have been able to do it without the help and support I got from the people on this thread.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I still smoke 1 or 2 a week. First started vaping 6/22/15. Took me all of 2 weeks to quit completely, that lasted 3 months. I just got sick of the constant cravings and self denial and battling with it. Caved in and went dual using. Never got back to anything near my 2pk a day habit tho. As a matter of fact I don't by packs. I've been using the same 8oz pouch of Tobacco and pack of rolling papers for 4-5 months now. I don't feel like I get CRAVINGS any longer. It's just when I think of having one I make a decision. Most of the its mehhhh, don't need it. Once in awhile I go ahead and roll one up and usually by 2nd or 3rd puff I'm like 'why am I messin with this garbage?' when my vape is right here.:nah:

I don't lose any sleep over it. Maybe one day I'll have a "last one" maybe not. I not gonna deny myself the choice.

Anyway, I LOVE MY VAPE! eGo ONE Mega V1 tanks. CLR rebuildable coils. DIY 50/50 5mg. Directlung hits. 6 tanks in rotation so I only have to refill every 3rd day.

Sir Kadly

Tootle Wompin' Squonkaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2015
    Michiana
    So I was just pointed to this thread. After a bit of reading it looks like it isn't really active anymore, but nevertheless I'll jump in with my story.

Back in August of 2015 I ordered an Ego One kit at the recomendation of someone on reddit. I'd tried the cigalikes before and never really found them helpful. But With the Ego One I did very quickly drop from 2 pad to closer to 1/2 a pack. I found ECF in September. By then I also had a VTC mini.

There was a huge contest going on when I joined ECF, and someone pointed me to it. The posts flew in that contest thread so I didn't really venture off it because it was hard enough to keep up there. But made some friends there. Once the contest ended I started looking around ECF a bit more, but kept running into "I quit smoking the moment I picked up my first ecig" posts, so I started to drift away from ECF.

In December I had to go out of town for a couple days and decided it would be easier to just smoke. I didn't touch my vape gear for the next 2 months. :( In February 2016 I tried again, came back to ECF, found the friends I had made in that contest (one of them started a new lounge thread a few days before I cam back and since that was where most of the people I knew were, I now had a "home" so to speak), and once more dropped to around 1/2 a pack per day. But was still discouraged by the fact that when I ventured away from that home thread I seemed to be see so many of the posts about how easy it was to quit.

I was literally on the verge of just giving up when I read a post in another thread from someone who had vaped for two years before quitting smoking. I knew now I wasn't alone, so I replied to her post, and suddenly people came out of the woodwork to encourage me. Seemed like half the people in the thread I found that post on were either dual users, or had been for a long time before finally quitting. Leading to a question...WHY don't we see more of THOSE posts?

Anyway, since then I've felt more at peace with the dual use thing. The amount I smoke has gone up and down, I've been down to 4 or 5 per day, back up to nearly a pack a day, then cut back again, etc etc etc. For the last 6 months I haven't really been trying to quit anymore, just accepting that I'm smoking less than I used to.

Anyway, I recently made a promise (due in part to a health scare) to someone who is very special to me that I would quit smoking entirely, and I intend to keep that promise. So I'm going to be trying again, planning to quit for good in a week. Who knows? Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but I am going to keep trying because it is important to her so it is important to me.

Well, that's my story, so far anyway...

Thayamax

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 7, 2013
    Southeast Michigan
    Welcome to the thread, kad. This thread used to be so busy you'd have a hard time keeping up with it from moment to moment. Many of our frequent posters have quit completely or just faded away. It's always good to see a new poster now and then.

Not everyone quits so easily as some others do. I tried to quit smoking by vaping 3 separate times before it stuck and I was a dual user for 4 month before I was able to finally quit completely. The difference the last time was finding this thread and getting the support of so many others who were having the same difficulties I was having. I believe that having that kind of support is crucial in an effort to quit smoking and vape full time if that is your goal.

Feel free to post in this thread if you feel the need to talk with someone who gets where you're coming from. It would be great to see this thread come alive again. I know there are many out there who need it.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Hey there @kad2371 thanks for lighting up this old thread again.

Great job on getting down to 1/2 pack a day. If you wouldn't mind a suggestion in how to reduce even further I'll offer this. I realize it's not for everyone and probably just not even doable for some.

Try getting rid of the "convenience factor". THAT is what started the whole smoking epidemic in the first place. Don't buy packs. Get yourself a pouch of tobacco and some papers and roll a cig whenever you want one. Don't make a pile of them ahead of time.

Just tossing this out there. I know most folks wouldn't smoke non-filter much less roll their own. But it's what keeps me down to one cig every few days (And I don't stress over it). Not because it's a pita but because it inspires thought.
    If your smoking from packs there's no thought (real focus) involved. Your hand is probably on its way to grab one before you even realize? Make your vape the more convenient option.

Now, I guess I don't really expect Ya to go for this but maybe someone else will read it and give it a try. And it's probably not that easy for most folks. I started hand rolling as a teen making piles of smokes for my dad so I could earn a few for myself so it's not that big a deal to me.

At any rate I wish you luck in finally whoopin the beast.

Sir Kadly

Tootle Wompin' Squonkaholic
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2015
    Michiana
    You're the one that posted the link that brought me here Uncle, soooo...:thumb::thumbs:

Who knows, maybe the thread will get a little visibility and some newcomers that need the support will arrive. I don't like thinking that there might be others feeling the way I did a year and a half ago, or that they might give up just because they don't see that one post that makes them realize they aren't alone.

Thayamax

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 7, 2013
    Southeast Michigan
    Hey, @Uncle, long time no see. Hope you're doing well. ;)

I think the suggestion by @Foggy Road is a great one. When you have an urge to smoke you can try to vape through it until it passes. If it doesn't, then having to pull out the stuff to have to roll one is an extra incentive to help you fight that urge. :vapor:

tgs3

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    This thread is a great idea. I will be showing up as someone who has smoked for nearly 50 years and really needs to quit. I have vaped for a week and managed to reduce my cigarette use by 2/3 - from 30 to 10. But it is not easy. I also want to thank kad2371 for turning me on to this thread.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I want to say one more thing. I have seen those comments about people who quit immediately after discovering vaping. What many of those comments have in common is that those people had come to hate cigarettes. Granted, there is a lot to hate about them - ashes, the smell, the cost etc., but as a smoker for close to 50 years, none of those was a deal breaker. I admit to still liking cigarettes, love them. But I also need to quit - for other reasons that are also important to me. That's why I am here at ecf and that's why I am vaping.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    You're the one that posted the link that brought me here Uncle, soooo...:thumb::thumbs:

Who knows, maybe the thread will get a little visibility and some newcomers that need the support will arrive. I don't like thinking that there might be others feeling the way I did a year and a half ago, or that they might give up just because they don't see that one post that makes them realize they aren't alone.

blushing.gif

No Problem - Whenever I see anyone's post that might need some additional support with their "Transition into the Vaping World" - I point them over here . . . AND - Although I know there is not as much activity here as there once was - I know people will start to pop-in soon to offer more friendship and support . . . ;)

Hey, @Uncle, long time no see. Hope you're doing well. ;)

Yea - has been quite some time. I have been limiting "My" actively lately and not posting as much on ECF. Matter of fact, been going through a few medical issues the past couple years (especially a Quintuple Bypass 2016) that have kind of set me back a little . . . So I am still struggling with "Stuff" and still a dual user too . . . However, I am now down to 1 to 1 1/2 PAD . . . So in reality - I guess I'm alright, Thanks for asking.

This thread is a great idea. I will be showing up as someone who has smoked for nearly 50 years and really needs to quit. I have vaped for a week and managed to reduce my cigarette use by 2/3 - from 30 to 10. But it is not easy. I also want to thank kad2371 for turning me on to this thread.

CONGRATULATIONS ! ! ! That is a great accomplishment . . . :rickroll:

Thayamax

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 7, 2013
    Southeast Michigan
    I was a heavy smoker for 42 years and by the last 2 years I was up to about 4 packs of rollies a day. The hacking, wheezing and chest pains finally got to me so I made my 3rd attempt over a 5 year period at vaping. I bought a couple of higher power mods because the cigalike I tried the first time didn't work and the ego I tried the 2nd time didn't either. For some reason I was still struggling.

Thank goodness I found this thread and all the people in it who were having the same problem. I realized that my most difficult time was at work where nearly everyone was a smoker. I felt out of place using a mod when everyone else was smoking, so I would just smoke with them. One of the posters here suggested I try using an auto cigalike that looks more like a real cigarette when I was at work. I didn't think it would work but I tried it anyway. Unbelievably, it worked! I haven't smoked a real cigarette in over 4 years now, and I haven't needed my cigalike for 3 years either.

Everyone has their own triggers and there's no one size fits all method for ways to quit. We all need support when we're down and it feels great to get accolades when we succeed, even if it's just a baby step.

@tgs3 Cutting down by 2/3 in one week is amazing! The last few are always the hardest.

@kad2371 What he said. Thanks for sending folks our way. :)

I admit to still liking cigarettes, love them. But I also need to quit - for other reasons that are also important to me. That's why I am here at ecf and that's why I am vaping.

I still don't mind the smell of smoke. I know that if I didn't have my vape I'd be smoking in a heartbeat.

Whenever I see anyone's post that might need some additional support with their "Transition into the Vaping World" - I point them over here . . . AND - Although I know there is not as much activity here as there once was - I know people will start to pop-in soon to offer more friendship and support . . . ;)

Yea - has been quite some time. I have been limiting "My" actively lately and not posting as much on ECF. Matter of fact, been going through a few medical issues the past couple years (especially a Quintuple Bypass 2016) that have kind of set me back a little . . . So I am still struggling with "Stuff" and still a dual user too . . . However, I am now down to 1 to 1 1/2 PAD . . . So in reality - I guess I'm alright, Thanks for asking.

@Uncle Your friendship and support has meant a lot to many people on ECF.
    Sorry to hear about your health issues but glad you're doing okay. Take care. :wub:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread