Terrible "News" Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingbekah

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
N Georgia
(link removed again - he gets paid for hits, so why reward him for his stupidity?)

Spouts nonsense from the FDA's study. Not a "News" site per say, but the name "Associated Content" could confuse some people into thinking it is.

FDA Proves that E-Cigars Are Harmful to Your Health
Steven Mottor
Published March 01, 2010 by: Steven Mottor

These Electronic Cigarettes Are Supposed to Help You Quit Smoking

There are thousands of quit smoking products that hit the open market every year. Each product explains that they have the ability to help you stop smoking. Most of these products end up not lasting because they do not do what they claim. Every once and while, an actual product does come along that helps people quit. One of these products was called the E-Cigar. However, breaking new discoveries show that they actually are more harmful than good for you.

The FDA has recently discovered that E-Cigars are bad for your health. The expensive gadgets, often sold for around $200, have been linked to actually being more unhealthy than the real thing. This is because the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation discovered a long list of issues with the product. I am going to try to sum up this information the best that I can for you.

Believe it or not, E-Cigars have one percent of something known as diethylen glycol in them. This is something that is an active ingredient in antifreeze. As well all may know, antifreeze is highly toxic to humans and should not be digested. They also found tobacco nitrosamines. This is quite shocking because users are actually trying to quite anything related to tobacco, but are being exposed to it at the same time.

One of the most shocking results was the discovery of nicotine in almost every single electronic cigarette that was tested. I find this appalling because many of the E-Cigars advertise that they contain absolutely no nicotine what so ever. It is amazing to discover that they have been getting away with doing the exact opposite. Consumers who have been trying to quit have been exposed to the nicotine without even knowing, making them more reliant on the E-Cigar than they once thought.

What these results show us is that the companies manufacturing the electronic cigarettes have been creating horrible products. These products are also often marketed to the youth of our society. It appears that whomever
makes these products has actually been ignoring the health of consumers and worsening their addictions in the process. They end up wasting even more money on a product that claims will help them stop spending money on their addiction. I have to say that this is amazing to think of.

There has yet to be a decision by the FDA on what they plan to do next. We can only hope that the FDA acts fast and requires these companies to either fix their products or no longer be able to sell them to consumers. I advise anyone who has considered or currently uses these products to stop using them until more information become available. Why worsen your health when the goal is to better it with the right product choices.

My sources:

www.fda.gov

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Just another too full of himself college kid. His responses to the feedback, for the most part, came from another article published in the Boston version of the Examiner.com.

That's a web site that looks like an official paper but uses non-professional writers who get paid by hits on their articles. I think it's something like $ 2.50 per thousand hits. I tracked back to the fellow that supposedly smoked 80 cigarettes in less than 8 hours.

The only ref to him was in an article with no byline. The author apparently wasn't real proud off his/her work. I'm not even sure if he exists other than in someones imagination. All this reads a lot like a tabloid, such a shame or sham- whichever is appropriate.

Kat

Feb 24, 2009
Dallas, Texas
As it happens, I also write for AC and that poorly written piece of nonsense he's slapped up there is probably making him far more money than it deserves. It's on the most commented list, for a start. I've left him a comment of my own-- couldn't resist.

In an odd twist of fate, my own article in praise of e-cigarettes was published today. (Total coincidence- I submitted it last week.) Unlike his, I got paid up front for mine by the Health & Wellness channel. :D

I also get paid for page views, so if anybody is curious, I'd be delighted to have you read my article: How I Quit Smoking with Electronic Cigarettes

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
As it happens, I also write for AC and that poorly written piece of nonsense he's slapped up there is probably making him far more money than it deserves. It's on the most commented list, for a start. I've left him a comment of my own-- couldn't resist.

In an odd twist of fate, my own article in praise of e-cigarettes was published today. (Total coincidence- I submitted it last week.) Unlike his, I got paid up front for mine by the Health & Wellness channel. :D

I also get paid for page views, so if anybody is curious, I'd be delighted to have you read my article: How I Quit Smoking with Electronic Cigarettes

I already hit it before I saw your post here. Just got finished reading about the brave cold turkey gal- Some hero.

Last edited:

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa

KAT,
Awesome job. Nicely put together. Thank you for sharing. I hope a ton of forum people read it!!

VRNN

Feb 25, 2010
italy
www.plasmatic.net
In Italy the ECIG in some newspaper articles was subtly linked to drug seizures by police.

This is just mud to cover other business bigger.

Pharmaceutical, tobacco companies etc..

We must get used to these lies to truth will surface.

If governments can sell us harmful things like cigarettes and alcohol they can not prohibit ECIG.

Last edited:

Kat

Feb 24, 2009
Dallas, Texas
In Italy the ECIG in some newspaper articles was subtly linked to drug seizures by police.

This is just mud to cover other business bigger.

Pharmaceutical, tobacco companies etc..

We must get used to these lies to truth will surface.

If governments can sell us harmful things like cigarettes and alcohol they can not prohibit ECIG.

It's about the money. Most things are.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I wanted to post a comment but could not find the end!! (I'm on supper break, gotta go soon)
Honestly, great job to all who posted, I am so proud to see them ALL.
However I don't think Steve really gets it yet, so will try later to put in a few good words as well.
Sometimes these poor people really should be treated for Myopia, in view of the opposing responses I would be most red-faced, myself. Thinking maybe I'd been a little hasty 'cause one guy got really really addicted to vaping! Not quite as serious as being addicted to smiling, but it's right around there close!
Journalism school diploma for sale on eBay!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Yeah, I post my articles on AC too. I've been going back and forth with him in the comments. He tried to dismiss me as "just a real estate agent" until I set him straight with my advocacy - CASAA and Vapers International board member and 6 months of research and talking to experts and doctors, thank you very much. I think I finally got his attention - but he just doesn't get it. We debunked his FDA report and now it's all about the marketing to kids. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread