The 1 cent kick? I don't think so. And don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
To stay within the rules of the forum, let it start out this way. I met a person the other day that was using a mechanical mod. (Don't know what kind, just a telescopic simple mech). He was bragging about his 1 penny kick and how much better it worked. Turns out the kick he was talking about was just that. A simple pre 1980 copper penny. Kept bragging about how much more voltage he was getting with the penny inserted in the bottom of the device. Ok I threw down the BS flag and got my volt meter. This one. Meters : 510 Voltage Indicator Rev 2 Tossed it on his device without the penny. Reads 3.9 volts DC. Put the penny in and the meter didn't read anything. NO connection = No voltage. He put his RDA on top and started vaping up a storm. Still no reading but it was working. When he offered to let me try it for myself, I politely (not really) declined and told him I wanted to keep all my body parts intact that I still had left. So has anyone heard of or can explain this? I'd rather spend the money and get the honest Evol Kick personally. I kinda like the extra layer of protection it offers.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
To stay within the rules of the forum, let it start out this way. I met a person the other day that was using a mechanical mod. (Don't know what kind, just a telescopic simple mech). He was bragging about his 1 penny kick and how much better it worked. Turns out the kick he was talking about was just that. A simple pre 1980 copper penny. Kept bragging about how much more voltage he was getting with the penny inserted in the bottom of the device. Ok I threw down the BS flag and got my volt meter. This one. Meters : 510 Voltage Indicator Rev 2 Tossed it on his device without the penny. Reads 3.9 volts DC. Put the penny in and the meter didn't read anything. NO connection = No voltage. He put his RDA on top and started vaping up a storm. Still no reading but it was working. When he offered to let me try it for myself, I politely (not really) declined and told him I wanted to keep all my body parts intact that I still had left. So has anyone heard of or can explain this? I'd rather spend the money and get the honest Evol Kick personally. I kinda like the extra layer of protection it offers.

interesting...

A Penny wouldn't offer any protection, obviously... but it would create a copper contact point... for mods lacking it...

Not sure how that would help... unless the penny had greater contact area with the battery than the existing steel(?) contact had... then i could see it maybe helping... Maybe the penny rubs the actual contact on the mod, keeping it clean... don't know...

I'd try it but my mod uses 99.9 copper contacts as is.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Lol, a kick is a voltage regulation device. How the heck do you intend to regulate anything with a penny? You just got trolled pretty hardcore dude

uh... did you read the post?

The premise wasn't a regulated vape... it was that it improved the vape... presumeably by providing better conductivity...

which I think may actually be possible in craptastic china mod

---Edited to Add---

GOOD GOD... That was Post #1000!

I may spend too much time on this site!

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Lincoln freed the slaves... and now frees the voltage.

Seriously... I'm too lazy to go out and get my meter, so I Google'd "Resistance of a Penny". Look what I found:

CODED WORLD said:
The diameter of a penny is just under 2 cm, so I’ll use 1.5 cm to allow for the contacts. I’m going to be lazy and just call it a cuboid that’s 1 mm tall. Using the equation for resistance, I get about 0.00002 Ohms. This is an extremely low resistance, so there wont be very much energy lost to heat. Rearranging Joule’s law to solve for current and substitution our values in (assuming you want it to fail within 0.1 s), it’ll take over 32,000 Amps of current. Most fuses at your house will be rated to fail at either 40 or 60 amps, so this is a HUGE amount of current that would be allowed to flow.

ClippinWings said:
GOOD GOD... That was Post #1000!

I may spend too much time on this site!
Congratulations... or, d00de... get a life. All depends on perspective. ;-)

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Lol, a kick is a voltage regulation device. How the heck do you intend to regulate anything with a penny? You just got trolled pretty hardcore dude

Please read the entire first post. Ok Then go troll for catfish. I ask a question and was hoping for an answer.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm sure he'll be less happy when that penny moves in the tube, causes a hard short, and blows up in his hand.
dr g said:
That's a pretty good point, I wonder how he is even avoiding that right now. I mean if it still works as a button that means the penny must be floating in there right now, no? And if the mod's on the side or something, it could easily rest between the contact and the neg.
Exactly the same reason one should never use earth magnets on flat top batteries in mods requiring button top batteries. (ie Provari)

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Exactly the same reason one should never use earth magnets on flat top batteries in mods requiring button top batteries. (ie Provari)

This I totally agree with, spacers or anything on the positive side are a no-no.

I'm sure he'll be less happy when that penny moves in the tube, causes a hard short, and blows up in his hand.

But the OP said he had the penny in the bottom of his device, meaning the negative terminal. Impossible to short out.

Still sounds ridiculous though. To be honest I'm a bit confused by the whole situation. He said it acts as a SWITCH?

If there was a gap that was stopping proper contact with the negative terminal of the battery, something like a penny could improve the connection. Putting a penny between the existing terminals is pointless for voltage loss reasons. You aren't removing any current choke points, you are simply adding more resistance (however insignificant)

If he used copper pennies and shaped/formed them into new terminals or something that could increase performance. But just throwing a penny in a mod won't do anything.

What did he mean by the penny acting as a switch? And how did the multimeter not show any voltage yet his mod still worked?

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Doesn't jumping between the neg and the body bypass the switch?

Yeah on mechs with bottom buttons it would, but that's just completing the circuit, not shorting out the battery. The load on the battery would still be whatever your atty normally is, where as a short would introduce a much higher current draw. Not the best idea all around on a mech obviously because of this, and I don't even see why you would need to with most mechs. Regulated devices don't have this problem seeing as there is a constant pathway from neg battery terminal, to the spring, to the cap, to the body at all times anyway.

Which is what I don't get about this penny thing. Was this guy just using the penny to bypass the switch (which was maybe of poor quality and introduced a lot of current loss) which is what was said earlier, but then how was he controlling whether or not it fired? That's the part that has me confused.

I guess that could improve performance quite a bit of you have an exceptionally crappy switch, but I couldn't imagine screwing whole thing apart and together every time you take a vape.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
This I totally agree with, spacers or anything on the positive side are a no-no.

But the OP said he had the penny in the bottom of his device, meaning the negative terminal. Impossible to short out.

Still sounds ridiculous though. To be honest I'm a bit confused by the whole situation. He said it acts as a SWITCH?

If there was a gap that was stopping proper contact with the negative terminal of the battery, something like a penny could improve the connection. Putting a penny between the existing terminals is pointless for voltage loss reasons. You aren't removing any current choke points, you are simply adding more resistance (however insignificant)

If he used copper pennies and shaped/formed them into new terminals or something that could increase performance. But just throwing a penny in a mod won't do anything.

What did he mean by the penny acting as a switch? And how did the multimeter not show any voltage yet his mod still worked?

He was putting the penny between the switch and the negative post of the battery. And the lack if being able to read any voltage is what has me so confused.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Doesn't jumping between the neg and the body bypass the switch?

depends on the design of the device... it certainly would on my Nzonic.

some mods could allow for it... without constantly completing a circuit... guess it depends what it actually touches... and whether or not the penny can shift in the tube.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread