What would you do in this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I have an associate who is using a first gen LT (specifically a TW Torpedo) with a 1.5 ohm Smoktech dual coil tank. He's not aware of the devices limitations and has never bothered to even try to research the device. He bought it at one of TW's stores in the Tampa area.

I notice he's fiddling with the voltage on one occasion so I ask what he's doing. He says that he prefers to start the day with his first vape around the 4.7 volt range for about an hour. Then he says he raises the voltage during the day, every couple of hours. He says he prefers to set it at 6v after meals, but takes it down to 5.5 volts for the remainder of the day.

I did verify that he was using the 1.5ohm dcc by putting his tank on my Provari and checking the ohms.

Here's my problem. I know that the settings he uses, and claims are distinctly different, are all pointless due to the amp limitations of the older model. Soooooo, do I :

A) Pull out an inline voltage display and show him his actual voltages under load, thereby doing the equivalent of telling a kid that there is no Santa or telling a redneck that WWE is fake?

-or-

B) Not say a dang thing and let the guy wander around happily enjoying his perceived vape.

I ask because I've seen people get extremely upset when they find out that their device has been sort of lying to them. One friend's girl broke into tears because she paid a hundred bucks for the device. Another got p'd off and yelled at a vendor over the phone loud enough that people two apartments over called the cops thinking someone was about to get killed.

I'm inclined to tell/show him the truth, but the guy seems to be happy and satisfied so I don't want to upset the poor guy.

lettucehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Indiana
If he's happy with his vape, perceives a difference in the quality at different voltages, and, most importantly, is OFF ANALOGS - why mess with a good thing?

You may want to mention that he might get better performance with a higher resistance cart, but...

There is a reason that placebos in medicine have such a high success rate...

:2c:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
yea.. I was one of the ones who got extremely upset when I found out my device was lying to me. It didn't take long to figure it out on my own though. I'd like to be able to tell you to just keep quiet and let him be happy.. but knowing myself, I'd say something. But then again it's all just numbers anyway, as long as he's happy with it and it keeps him off cigarettes it doesn't really matter I guess.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Tinstar. I would, for now, Bite my tounge. If he does begin to question his device offer up your sage advice of a different ohm carto for his device. Then you can explain to him the reason why it works differently than the previous setup. At this point you can fall back on the fact you didnt have any real reason to tinker with His enjoyment, until he approached you about it. I have many a friend who are content with a 510 and a 3ohm no name carto. Fine with me. At least they have quit smoking. I will gladly offer advice if I see them frustrated. I have given a few kits to friends just to make sure they would stick with it. I have purchased e-liquid for folks who didnt know what they where even looking for. If they ask, or if I can tell they need a nudge I will do everything I can to help.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Has he tried your Provari to see the difference?

Fortunately for him, no. Can't believe I just said that....

His wife mentioned today that she was getting ticked at the money he spent on vaping stuff over the last three months. Said he spent nearly $400. When I pointed out that he would have spent slightly more than that on analogs if he hadn't switched, she calmed down a little. She then mentioned that the $100 bucks he paid for the LT had better not be a waste or she'd bury him in the garden. I decided not to mention the fact that if they had come to me, I would have helped them get one at a lower price (I probably would have just given him one of mine for free).

I think I will try to keep quiet for now and hope that he doesn't find out on his own. I don't want him thinking I let him go on doing what he's doing to make him look like an idiot. I'm generally a straight shooter with most folks. I'm not really all that good with the intricacies of interpersonal communication. Maybe I need to get in touch with my feminine side, i.e.: let my wife deal with it. :)

JmeMcG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2012
Clackamas, Oregon
I think you should just "let him be", IMO if he is happy tinkering around with his gear and he is happy... so be it. I would say support and encouragement are the best always. It should not make a difference to you, if he is happy doing what he is doing at the moment... When the time comes where he is not happy, or is in the mode to experience more/better (or whatever....) then help him out. Just don't make him feel like he's "not with it"... or belittle him... KWIM. A lot of the time, the path that is true and works out the best, is the path that we choose for ourselves ( with some encouragement and help... :) ) No one wants to feel like a dunce or be called out... would you? Most of us "get there" in our own way...

Since I do not know you or your friend personally, I say just be encouraging and supporting. Also, realize that what you use is good for you, but may not be for everyone. We don't have to be brand/gear specific here... just supportive of each other... I kind of eqate this type of scenario with a die hard Marb Red smoker telling a 40 year PAD Winston Light 100 smoker that they are "doing it wrong".....

Just my :2c:

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Would you want to be told? I would, tell him and have the equipment with you to prove what your saying is correct. You might want to explain to him that if the device is actually putting out the higher voltages with that low ohm cartomizer a safety feature in the device is'nt working properly and the device may get damaged.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Don't get me wrong. I'm not a brand name fanatic. I've got stuff from just about everyone, so there's no point in it for me. My only concern is the placebo effect mentioned earlier. He thinks it's doing something it's not. About the closest I came to doing anything was offering him some higher ohm (2.5 and 3 ohm) cartos to try. He says the 1.5 ohms are working for him so why mess with a good thing.

My only aim is trying to help others kick the analog habit, not act like a spokesman for one brand or another. Half the reason I keep all the various mods I rarely use is to let other folks, who are looking to get something as an upgrade from a mini ecig or ego variant, try them out and see if they like them. I've given quite a few away over the years just trying to help out.

I actually think I'll offer him my 1.5t LT this weekend. That way he doesn't have to spend any money and it might actually give him a little more in the way of performance.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
If you could get him to try some SR Boges he'd be good to go. Maybe load one up for him to "try this juice". He might catch on that the vape actually changes with the voltage setting. If you let him make the discovery, it will probably go over a lot better. He won't be out anything and will just order the right cartos from here on out.

edit: Another thing you can do is snip the wire to the top coil and turn his DC into a single coil 3 ohm carto. This is after you investigate his discovery, so he can use up what hardware he has.

Last edited:

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Well, situation has officially sorted itself out. He came by yesterday and, during an unrelated conversation, happened to mention that he was just not getting as much power as he wanted to now. I took his and gave him my v1.5t, gave him the rundown on how to work it and what to watch for (zombie mode) and now he's off and running happily. First comment he made was that the 6v setting was waaaaay to hot for him now. :)

Best part is that it looked close enough to his original so his wife hasn't even noticed the switcheroo. I told him to just say he got tired of the logo on his and cleaned it off if she asks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread