The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

the Aquav2 clone thread

Discussion in 'RTA' started by roxynoodle, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. juh juh

juh juh Full Member Verified Member

Dec 1, 2014
    huntsville,al usa
    Thanks Cindycated

• Like Like x 1
  2. FiReSTaRT

FiReSTaRT Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2015
    Mine just arrived today. Unfortunately, the cotton is travelling with the STM which was ordered a couple of weeks earlier but was stuck in customs for a while. Will keep you guys up to date. After I give her a cleaning I will build a coil though. Seems bone-dry but I don't wanna get a terrible vape because of some left-over machine oil I didn't notice. By the way, do you guys think I should take off the o-rings or just field-strip and throw her in the ultrasonic (the temps are in the 60-65C range).

3. cindycated

cindycated ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been taking off o-rings that come into contact with top caps, but only if they're easy to remove/reinstall. They seem to blow up a little bit in the ultrasonic, then top caps get real tight.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FiReSTaRT

Apr 22, 2015
    I'm a bit worried about damaging the o-rings as they seem hard to remove.. Do the o-rings "un-swell" after a while? Or is there a good breakdown vid/tutorial... I don't wanna damage a brand new tank lol

5. cindycated

Jul 19, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Actually the top cap on the Aqua is threaded, so you could probably just leave it on. Had to pull mine out to check - I've only used it a couple of times. :blush: I was thinking of my Heron, which got shredded. :confused: :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. FiReSTaRT

Apr 22, 2015
    Thanks. So I'll just to a semi-detail strip, leave the o-rings on and go ultrasonic... Dish soap/water, water, Pisco and let it dry for a couple of days... I can't do anything without the cotton anyway and the winding jig is in the same parcel.

Edit: Done... Yikes, that detergent water definitely got a yellowish tinge after a 15min cycle.. Letting the parts dry for a couple of days now. Saved the Pisco for the STM since I'm only using it because it has food-grade alcohol that will dry quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FiReSTaRT

Apr 22, 2015
    Just did my first coil build of any kind.. 28awg, 7 wraps, duals, oc.... Love the flavour and the hit... Will definitely need to scale back on the nicotine level lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. VaPreis

VaPreis Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    I decided to dust off my OTM Aqua V2 and throw a fresh build in it with a slightly different approach to wicking then I've previously used.

I originally considered it to difficult to mount spaced coils, but gave it a go today. Dual coils, 7 spaced wraps of 27ga at 2.2mm each. They went in with little fuss. And instead of trimming the wick tails to go down inside the liquid channels, I cut them short and tucked them over the tops of the channels. I kept the cotton thinner overall with this approach as well.

Huge improvement in flavor and no leaking or dry hits. It still doesn't quite match up flavor-wise to my all time favorite, but it's earned it's way back into the rotation today and I've been enjoying it.

Currently resisting the urge to order an authentic from Local Vape. I wish they'd hurry up and run out of them so I can't.....

• Like Like x 2
  9. cindycated

Jul 19, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    What's your "all time favorite?"

10. VaPreis

VaPreis Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    The EHPro Epoch D1 is my all time favorite for flavor production.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Two_Bears

Two_Bears Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    My favorite for flavor.

RDA it is a tossup between the Rogue and Freakshow Mini.

RTA my all time favorite is the Goblin Mini.

Honorable mention goes to Kayfun Lite Plus or Aqua v2.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    I'm glad I saw this thread. You reminded me I bought an aqua v2 clone the last time I ordered some stuff. I have to go build it now lol.

• Like Like x 3
  13. FiReSTaRT

Apr 22, 2015
    Mine will undergo a multiple tracheotomy, most likely today. Love the flavour, hate the airflow. Time to fix that :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. roxynoodle

roxynoodle Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    I'm fine with the airflow. I consider it a mannerly flavor atty :). My big guns are the Aromamizers and Cthulhu. The v1 Cthulhus are on clearance at Smog. You might want to add one to your collection.

• Like Like x 4
  15. FiReSTaRT

Apr 22, 2015
    Already gave it a tracheotomy! First I enlarged the original air-hole, then I drilled an extra air-hole but because I had to give away the old drill press, my placement sucked so I couldn't go larger than the old airhole on the other side. Then I cut channels in the insulator. Again, having to leave some of my tools behind meant that I almost messed up the insulator while cutting airflow channels in it, but I think it survived without springing any leaks lol. Currently in the process of getting an ultrasonic cleaning and I will try it out with the plastic tank tomorrow. Just in time for some juice samplers that already arrived at the LPO. Decided to give flavours other than tobacco a try. Can you give me a link to the Smog store, the name's too generic for quick googling. I'm tempted to give Cthulhu a try.

• Like Like x 1
  16. roxynoodle

roxynoodle Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Home - Smog Distro

• Like Like x 1
  17. Two_Bears

Two_Bears Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    With my Aqua v2 clone I have to close the airflow a bit over half way before it stopped leaking in the threads.

It is a bit restrictive for a lung hit.

18. FiReSTaRT

Apr 22, 2015
    Thanks @roxynoodle ! @Two_Bears I can keep the hole wide open but it's still too restrictive for my tastes (ain't I a weird MTL vaper lol).. We'll se tomorrow when the new juice arrives. I also counterbored one of the fill-holes so it will be a better fit for a unicorn tip. Once I switch to a higher VG content, there's no chance I'll be rockin' the needle tip lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. FiReSTaRT

Apr 22, 2015
    Finally got the coil that works for me... 2.5mm, 6 wraps of .28, getting .62ohms and finally got the wicking close to being right (as close as I can with my current scissors - better ones are on their way)... Before I was a bit too thick and that wasn't optimal, but now I thinned out the wicks and made them short enough to barely make it to the bottom of the wells. Wow... The combination of flavour and vapour ROCKS! The improved air flow is a big bonus. I'm in love :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    I built it, 2.5 mm, 28 AWG Ni 200, 15 wraps, 0.08 ohm. Not for me. Fantastic flavor chaser but I can't deal with not much vapor. Maybe I need to try a different build?

My other dual coil attys provide great flavor plus vapor with that build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.