the Aquav2 clone thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiReSTaRT

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2015
Mine just arrived today. Unfortunately, the cotton is travelling with the STM which was ordered a couple of weeks earlier but was stuck in customs for a while. Will keep you guys up to date. After I give her a cleaning I will build a coil though. Seems bone-dry but I don't wanna get a terrible vape because of some left-over machine oil I didn't notice. By the way, do you guys think I should take off the o-rings or just field-strip and throw her in the ultrasonic (the temps are in the 60-65C range).

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Mine just arrived today. Unfortunately, the cotton is travelling with the STM which was ordered a couple of weeks earlier but was stuck in customs for a while. Will keep you guys up to date. After I give her a cleaning I will build a coil though. Seems bone-dry but I don't wanna get a terrible vape because of some left-over machine oil I didn't notice. By the way, do you guys think I should take off the o-rings or just field-strip and throw her in the ultrasonic (the temps are in the 60-65C range).
I've been taking off o-rings that come into contact with top caps, but only if they're easy to remove/reinstall. They seem to blow up a little bit in the ultrasonic, then top caps get real tight.

Reactions: FiReSTaRT

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I'm a bit worried about damaging the o-rings as they seem hard to remove.. Do the o-rings "un-swell" after a while? Or is there a good breakdown vid/tutorial... I don't wanna damage a brand new tank lol
Actually the top cap on the Aqua is threaded, so you could probably just leave it on. Had to pull mine out to check - I've only used it a couple of times. :blush: I was thinking of my Heron, which got shredded. :confused: :D

FiReSTaRT

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks. So I'll just to a semi-detail strip, leave the o-rings on and go ultrasonic... Dish soap/water, water, Pisco and let it dry for a couple of days... I can't do anything without the cotton anyway and the winding jig is in the same parcel.

Edit: Done... Yikes, that detergent water definitely got a yellowish tinge after a 15min cycle.. Letting the parts dry for a couple of days now. Saved the Pisco for the STM since I'm only using it because it has food-grade alcohol that will dry quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: cindycated

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I decided to dust off my OTM Aqua V2 and throw a fresh build in it with a slightly different approach to wicking then I've previously used.

I originally considered it to difficult to mount spaced coils, but gave it a go today. Dual coils, 7 spaced wraps of 27ga at 2.2mm each. They went in with little fuss. And instead of trimming the wick tails to go down inside the liquid channels, I cut them short and tucked them over the tops of the channels. I kept the cotton thinner overall with this approach as well.

Huge improvement in flavor and no leaking or dry hits. It still doesn't quite match up flavor-wise to my all time favorite, but it's earned it's way back into the rotation today and I've been enjoying it.

Currently resisting the urge to order an authentic from Local Vape. I wish they'd hurry up and run out of them so I can't.....

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I decided to dust off my OTM Aqua V2 and throw a fresh build in it with a slightly different approach to wicking then I've previously used.

I originally considered it to difficult to mount spaced coils, but gave it a go today. Dual coils, 7 spaced wraps of 27ga at 2.2mm each. They went in with little fuss. And instead of trimming the wick tails to go down inside the liquid channels, I cut them short and tucked them over the tops of the channels. I kept the cotton thinner overall with this approach as well.

Huge improvement in flavor and no leaking or dry hits. It still doesn't quite match up flavor-wise to my all time favorite, but it's earned it's way back into the rotation today and I've been enjoying it.

Currently resisting the urge to order an authentic from Local Vape. I wish they'd hurry up and run out of them so I can't.....
What's your "all time favorite?"

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
The EHPro Epoch D1 is my all time favorite for flavor production.

My favorite for flavor.

RDA it is a tossup between the Rogue and Freakshow Mini.

RTA my all time favorite is the Goblin Mini.

Honorable mention goes to Kayfun Lite Plus or Aqua v2.

FiReSTaRT

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2015
Already gave it a tracheotomy! First I enlarged the original air-hole, then I drilled an extra air-hole but because I had to give away the old drill press, my placement sucked so I couldn't go larger than the old airhole on the other side. Then I cut channels in the insulator. Again, having to leave some of my tools behind meant that I almost messed up the insulator while cutting airflow channels in it, but I think it survived without springing any leaks lol. Currently in the process of getting an ultrasonic cleaning and I will try it out with the plastic tank tomorrow. Just in time for some juice samplers that already arrived at the LPO. Decided to give flavours other than tobacco a try. Can you give me a link to the Smog store, the name's too generic for quick googling. I'm tempted to give Cthulhu a try.

Reactions: roxynoodle

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Already gave it a tracheotomy! First I enlarged the original air-hole, then I drilled an extra air-hole but because I had to give away the old drill press, my placement sucked so I couldn't go larger than the old airhole on the other side. Then I cut channels in the insulator. Again, having to leave some of my tools behind meant that I almost messed up the insulator while cutting airflow channels in it, but I think it survived without springing any leaks lol. Currently in the process of getting an ultrasonic cleaning and I will try it out with the plastic tank tomorrow. Just in time for some juice samplers that already arrived at the LPO. Decided to give flavours other than tobacco a try. Can you give me a link to the Smog store, the name's too generic for quick googling. I'm tempted to give Cthulhu a try.

Home - Smog Distro

FiReSTaRT

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks @roxynoodle ! @Two_Bears I can keep the hole wide open but it's still too restrictive for my tastes (ain't I a weird MTL vaper lol).. We'll se tomorrow when the new juice arrives. I also counterbored one of the fill-holes so it will be a better fit for a unicorn tip. Once I switch to a higher VG content, there's no chance I'll be rockin' the needle tip lol

FiReSTaRT

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2015
Finally got the coil that works for me... 2.5mm, 6 wraps of .28, getting .62ohms and finally got the wicking close to being right (as close as I can with my current scissors - better ones are on their way)... Before I was a bit too thick and that wasn't optimal, but now I thinned out the wicks and made them short enough to barely make it to the bottom of the wells. Wow... The combination of flavour and vapour ROCKS! The improved air flow is a big bonus. I'm in love :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread