The Battery Talk Thread at COV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbuyer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Florida, USA
Back to the subject! I get this question a lot. What is the difference between IMR High Drain batteries and regular Li Ion ones?

High Drain batteries such as the IMR14500 High Drain Batteries have very modest price difference for what I think is a lot more.

Pros:
Safer Chemistry. The lithium magnesium is safer and more stable. It does not need a protection circuit. But, it does need a 6mm magnetic spacer to compensate for the shorter length. (they are on my site)
A more even discharge rate. Normal Li Ion 3.7v batteries when full are around 4.2v then they discharge down to 2.0v before cutting off. Thy IMR batteries stay at 3.7v and then cut off. So your first vape is as good as the first.
They last for a longer time then Li Ion.

Cons:
No Protection Circuit means you need the spacers. $1.00 more.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
not to mention that the IMR high drains actually have a high enough max drain rate that they are not being overstressed and getting voltage sag so they actually hit full strength

versus regular Li-Ions where the drain rate isn't high enough to cover the amp draw of most atties so they don't hit as hard and get overstressed which cuts down on the number of cycles they can be used and their ability to hold and maintain a charge..

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
not to mention that the IMR high drains actually have a high enough max drain rate that they are not being overstressed and getting voltage sag so they actually hit full strength

versus regular Li-Ions where the drain rate isn't high enough to cover the amp draw of most atties so they don't hit as hard and get overstressed which cuts down on the number of cycles they can be used and their ability to hold and maintain a charge..

This is not true for bigger batteries. Most 18650s have a 5amp output current, so having an IMR is good for small batteries that cant handle 2-2.5amps.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
yes I forgot to put in that 18650 is the exception to that...I was on the 14500 kick that BB started when I wrote that...

though I question that 5A number...the AW 2600 yeah (5.2A)... but others I dunno...
given that max drain rate is mah rating times C rating and divided by 1000...
even the ultrafire 3000 (if true to it's mah rating) would only be 4.5A

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
yes I forgot to put in that 18650 is the exception to that...I was on the 14500 kick that BB started when I wrote that...

though I question that 5A number...the AW 2600 yeah (5.2A)... but others I dunno...
given that max drain rate is mah rating times C rating and divided by 1000...
even the ultrafire 3000 (if true to it's mah rating) would only be 4.5A

Yes but even if they were lower we don't use anywhere near 5amps, even Low Res attys don't use that much amperage.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Yes but even if they were lower we don't use anywhere near 5amps, even Low Res attys don't use that much amperage.

agreed...it's just a technical thing you know...
someone says most have a 5A output...
in reality a few have a 5A output...but most are in the 4A-4.5A range....
granted even the 1.5Ω LR atties only have around a 2.47A draw...

but it was just the oh most have a 5A draw that caught me as being off..

but bringing it back round my point was that to cover the amp draw of a LR atty or even the standard joye 510 atty...in 14500 or 16340 size only the IMRs quite cover it...any of the 18650 size really

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
IMR batteries stay at 3.7v and then cut off.

Hi BB, can you clarify this re the IMR's? Bought 2 sets of your IMR 14500's on 2 separate orders and they start off at 4.2v. Do you mean they stay in the 4.2v to 3.7 range for a while, OR do you mean they quickly go down to 3.7v BUT maintain 3.7v for a long time? I can see advantages to either situation.

Same question specifically for your 18490 IMR's, which I'm sure I'll be ordering soon.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Hi BB, can you clarify this re the IMR's? Bought 2 sets of your IMR 14500's on 2 separate orders and they start off at 4.2v. Do you mean they stay in the 4.2v to 3.7 range for a while, OR do you mean they quickly go down to 3.7v BUT maintain 3.7v for a long time? I can see advantages to either situation.

Same question specifically for your 18490 IMR's, which I'm sure I'll be ordering soon.

I can answer your question, BB isn't really technical but he does know the stuff he sells ;)

The IMRs are just like any 3.7 volt battery as far as what voltage they start at, like when they are fully charged they start at 4.2 volts like the normal Li-ions do but with the IMRs you cann't over drain them because they are safer chemistry and just shut off, so to speak, when the voltage drops off... that probably isn't entirely accurate but it is how I understand it :)

Bigbuyer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Florida, USA
Whats the difference between the BDL 18650s and the AW 18650s?

There are 2 things different. One is the mAH, the AW is 1600 and the BDL is 1400. The other is the price The AW's are $12.49 and the BDL is $9.99. With the AW's you are paying for the brand name and the extra quality that goes in.

Both are great batteries!

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
I haven't seen an answer for this - only the technical jargon. I just received my wetbox too and did purchase the spacers- which end do they go on + or - ? (It's 1 spacer per battery?)

I know this is a newbie question but I just received a wetbox with BDL IMR14500, what end do I use the spacers on and how many should I be using?

Thanks!

Bigbuyer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Florida, USA
I haven't seen an answer for this - only the technical jargon. I just received my wetbox too and did purchase the spacers- which end do they go on + or - ? (It's 1 spacer per battery?)

The Spacers go on the positive terminal on the top.
Only if your battery does not make contact.
Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread