Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Several people seem to be getting confused about the differences in battery types when it comes to 808's, and it's no wonder considering the many different models out there. So I figured I'd try to put together a little guide explaining the various battery types out there to hopefully clear up some confusion. most of this information has been gleaned through reading many posts in this forum and a little web searching. I'm still new at this myself, so please feel free to correct me or add anything i may have missed.

The DSE-901/KR808D-1

302DB.jpg

These are the stick batteries that most of us started out with. Okay, so the 901 and 808 are 2 different batteries, but the Generation 1 automatic and manual 808 batteries will work with 901 atomizers. I've been told Generation 2 automatic batteries generally will not work with 901 equipment due to air flow restrictions. A Generation 1 battery has a hole through the center of the battery connector to allow air to flow through the battery tube. The air flow is what activates the automatic battery so that it will fire and heat your atomizer. A Generation 2 battery still has holes through the battery connector for air flow. However, Generation 2 batteries have a bridge over the battery connector and the air holes have been made smaller and moved to the sides to better protect the battery from damage due to leakage from the atomizer. The design of the Generation 2 battery leads many companies to market them as sealed, but to the best of my knowledge it isn't truly sealed unless it's a manual battery. Since I've never used a Generation 2 automatic, this is all based on hearsay on my part.

There is also the KR808D-2 battery. These look the same as a regular 808 and even have similar threading, but there are differences between the two. Many people have successfully used standard 808 cartomizers on D-2 batteries, but they won't thread down all the way and produce a very airy draw. You also run the risk of damaging your battery and/or cartomizer when attempting this, since you can ruin the post on one or both devices. KR808D-2 batteries are generally only used by companies in an attempt to lock you in to only buying directly from them, such as Mistic and the SmartSmoke Alpha model among others.

The KR808DM-1

ELITE-4.jpg

These are mid-sized batteries, about the size of a cigarillo. They have also been called the mini-vgo. The thread is exactly the same as the standard 808, but the base of the battery and atomizer connection is a little wider. These batteries generally run at about 380 mAh. the Cigeasy Elite is probably the most well-known example of this battery. Again, anything that uses the standard 808 connection will work on a M-1 battery, but the diameter size may look a little funny when mixing and matching. I know of at least one company that markets an M-1 with proprietary threading, so buyer beware. I've only ever seen these batteries in manual.

The vGo/iGo

VGO Battery 004.jpg

There's not much to say about this one. It is exactly what the name implies: an 808 clone of the eGo. Anything made for the other two batteries will fit on this one as well, however DM-1 atomizers will not fit under a standard cone. Also, some eGo-only items may work on the vGo without an adapter, but if you're not sure then it's best to get an 808-eGo adapter just to be safe.

The Echo

ECH0-1300MM-1sy.jpg

The other big battery option for 808's, these are exactly the same as the vGo in terms of diameter and mAh size. However, these batteries do not have the cone threads of the vGo. Anything designed for the standard 901/808 or DM-1 battery will fit on this battery just fine, but vGo designed atomizers will need an 808 battery extension in order to fit onto it. Any atomizers for the Echo will also fit on the vGo. One advantage of this design is that atomizers made to fit the Echo have a slightly larger capacity for e-liquid, by roughly 0.4 milliliters. This is because Echo cartomizers do not have to make room at the bottom for the skirt to cover the cone threads. The Echos also appear to be automatic only.

I hope I didn't miss anything or offer any misleading information. And I hope this helps to clear up any confusion when considering your options for equipment.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Nice work Johnnie.
I'd add the X2 to the list - since its an 808 fatt batt.
And on the KR808D-2 I'd be very wary of buying 808 cartos or attachments. They often are not compatible. Greensmoke are KR808D-2, and definitely not compatible with 808D-1 attachments.
Generally when talking about 808s we are referring to KR808D-1.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
The X2 is nothing more than a re-branded vGo. I love it, and I bought it because I couldn't find one with pass-thru charging anywhere else, but that's all it is. Same as any other re-branded device.

I only included the 808D-2 for those people who get suckered into buying one and then wonder why their standard atomizers won't fit. :)

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
I didn't get any confirmation on the X2 being re-branded, it's just pretty obvious to me. It looks like a vGo and it works like one. Also, I've used a number of vGo and eGo devices and accessories on it with no issue.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the X2 being re-branded. Smokeless Image has good Q.C. and great customer relations, unlike some other companies. But in the end they buy their batteries from a factory in China just like any other re-seller. And if I can go to a number of other vendors for atomizers and cartomizers for it, then it's pretty obvious to me there is nothing proprietary in their thread-type or in how it operates. And if it you put it up next to any generic 3.7 volt regulated vGo battery, I doubt there would be few (if any) differences between the two.

I love my X2 and I constantly recommend S.I. to new members. In a month or two I'll be buying a second battery from them because I prefer pass-thru charging. But whether you buy an X2 from Smokeless Image or an iGo from NHaler, the only differences between the two would come down to voltage regulation, charging options and cosmetics. And that's assuming NHaler's iGo's aren't regulated.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I didn't get any confirmation on the X2 being re-branded, it's just pretty obvious to me. It looks like a vGo and it works like one. Also, I've used a number of vGo and eGo devices and accessories on it with no issue.

Just because it looks like something doesn't mean its a rebranded version. You can use those accessories with an X2 because they have ego threading as well as 808 threading. Ego has become a generic name for a certain kind of battery now, as they are lots made that are not the original Joyetech egos. So we could say X2s are an 808 ego style - but that's not the same as saying they are rebranded.
My understanding is Smokeless Image have them made to their own specs - 808 threaded with Ego threads as well. Regulated at 3.7 volts.
Yes, of course they have them manufactured in China - they have said that.
I haven't said they are "proprietary threaded". You can request a thread type on a pv from a manufacturer - 808 is just a type of thread. Ego is another type of thread.

Last edited:

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Actually, SI has their own factory in China they make most of their equipment in. The only thing that's not made their is the ce 3.
Ah, didn't know that. So it isn't rebranded. I apologize.

The point of this thread wasn't to argue whether something is rebranded. I was just hoping to clear up some confusion for anyone new to vaping when upgrading from a stick battery to something different so that people know what products can work with each other.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Ah, didn't know that. So it isn't rebranded. I apologize.

The point of this thread wasn't to argue whether something is rebranded. I was just hoping to clear up some confusion for anyone new to vaping when upgrading from a stick battery to something different so that people know what products can work with each other.

No, that wasn't the point of the thread. You did say you were open to feedback and "feel free to correct me" though. So that needed to be corrected to be fair to the vendor.

Last edited:

Dac311

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
To be fair, I still see the x2's as a rebrand/knock off. Their quality is outstanding, but it is their take on something that had been offered by someone else first. I love SI as much as you, but they didn't break new ground when the introduced the x2. They simply introduced their own version of the igo/kgo.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
To be fair, I still see the x2's as a rebrand/knock off. Their quality is outstanding, but it is their take on something that had been offered by someone else first. I love SI as much as you, but they didn't break new ground when the introduced the x2. They simply introduced their own version of the igo/kgo.

Sure, its their take. But they aren't rebranded. :) Not sure why you raise the rest of this - no-one here said they were ground breaking, but simply clarifying that they are not rebranded. They have been quite popular so seems a bit strange to me not to add them. But whatever. A knock off? I don't think so - not an Ego knock off. Egos aren't regulated at 3.7 volts. The KGO? I thought the voltage wasn't regulated on those? I'll have a look. ETA: Yeah, KGOs aren't regulated voltage, so different to X2s.
At some point there are going to be similarities between the smaller pvs - even between bigger mods with the same chip sets there are. I wouldn't say the X2 was a direct knock off anything though. Similarities - sure. Really wasn't looking for an unnecessary debate - simply pointed out a pv that is 808. Anyway - Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
The point is, the vGo was the first 808 eGo clone.

To the best of my knowledge, it was also a 3.7 volt regulated device.

What separates the X2 from other brands is the pass through function (other companies offer that too), the quality control and the customer service.

Otherwise, it is functionally no different from any othe vGo/iGo on the market.

AteOhAter

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
California, SF Bay Area
...Most of this information has been gleaned through reading many posts in this forum and a little web searching.
Nice job Johnnie.

The problem is that this site is so popular and so many people contribute information, it gets spread out all over the place and it's gets difficult to track it all down. I guess that's the downside of a lot of participation over a long period of time :).

If you haven't already seen them, check out the blogs that Morandir835 has posted. His "Unbiased Starter's vaping guide pt. 1" has a lot of information on compatibility. Maybe he'd be willing to update it to include some of the newer variants like the VGO, IGO, Echo, etc.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Nice job Johnnie.

The problem is that this site is so popular and so many people contribute information, it gets spread out all over the place and it's gets difficult to track it all down. I guess that's the downside of a lot of participation over a long period of time :).

If you haven't already seen them, check out the blogs that Morandir835 has posted. His "Unbiased Starter's vaping guide pt. 1" has a lot of information on compatibility. Maybe he'd be willing to update it to include some of the newer variants like the VGO, IGO, Echo, etc.

I'll make sure to check it out. Maybe I'll even PM him. ;)

As best as I can tell, the iGo and vGo are exactly the same. NHaler has them listed as the iGo, but I know Kanger makes a vGo model. Also, it seems at one time there was a 510 vGo model. It's very confusing.

I'm not sure how "new" the vGo and Echo models are. I know there are posts on this forum going back a year and a half or more discussing both models. And the only inter-compatibility issue appears to be using vGo/iGo threaded devices on an Echo model; everything else will work fine although it may look funny.

Thanks for the kind words, and for pointing me to Morandir835's blog. I used the first post of this thread as my first blog entry, so hopefully someone will get some use out of it.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! :D

AteOhAter

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
California, SF Bay Area
i have often wondered if SI had their own factory like they say or just contracted with a china factory to make their own designed products or copy products like the T3s etc.
The following is pure unadulterated speculation on my part.
* I'd guess that EVERY e-cig retailer/vendor is contracting with an OEM-type factory in China to get their products built. I doubt there would be sufficient economy of scale if a factory were only manufacturing products for a single retailer. The retailers we buy from are small companies and 'owning' a factory would be cost prohibitive. And the economic risk would be way too high.
* I'd further speculate that there's probably only a handful of factories, similar to the TV LCD/LED screen industries where there's only a few foundries that do all the screen manufacturing for a multitude of companies. So if you buy a carto from company A, it very well could be made in the same factory as a carto from company B.
* I think it would also make sense that the retailers enter into an agreement with ONE factory to get their entire product line built in order to get lower rates. Also, I'm sure it's a lot easier for a retailer to work with only one factory than many - it takes time to build that relationship. So when a retailer says "our factory", they would be referring to the factory with whom they have signed an agreement.
* I don't think there's sufficient sales volume for any retailer to develop custom components. For example, the regulator chip in gen 2 batteries is likely an off-the-shelf item, as would be the cells themselves (although there could be multiple suppliers for these components). So it's very possible a battery from company A could perform 'just like' or even 'exactly' like one from company B. As an aside, it's difficult to know whether a new feature is 'designed' by the retailer, or is part of an 'a la cart' feature set offered by the factory.
* I'd bet all the factories are located in China since, if I'm not mistaken, the original e-cig patents are held by a company in China and China is very trade-protective. Further, any factory would have to be offshore, otherwise we'd be paying at least twice the price as we pay now for products, due to both higher labor costs and stronger US regulations (e.g. EPA, FDA, Dept. of Labor, etc.).
* I'll further bet it's impossible to get an actual answer to any of the above :)

Anyway, I guess I'm way off the OP's intent of this thread. Sorry 'bout that Johnnie.

As I said, this is purely speculation on my part, so please correct me if I've totally missed the boat on anything or the speculation doesn't match facts. But please don't 'beat me up' for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread