Not open for further replies.

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    My son's friend has been giving me her empty bottles. I want to mix up some stuff for her but the problem is she only vapes fruity menthol blends. I on the other hand, only vapes custards or bakery stuff. I know nothing about adding menthol not to mention having recipes for fruity menthol liquids. Anyone have any good recipes that are fruity and menthol? Thanks in advance for any help!
    This is my ADV. Your son's friend might like it.All TFA flavors
    4% Blackberry
    3% Peppermint
    1% Menthol

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2014
    NC
    This is my ADV. Your son's friend might like it.All TFA flavors
    4% Blackberry
    3% Peppermint
    1% Menthol
    Thanks Fran! I'll have to order the blackberry and peppermint though. Neither my son or I are big on mints. She let me try what she was vaping the other night and it was WOW! That's minty!! Lol

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    @englishmick, when you get that recipe perfected I'd appreciate if you would post it. I like the sound of it.

I always have a bottle of Peppermint (5%) and Koolada (2%) mixed up. It's a great change of pace when my all day vape, French Vanilla Creme, and various fruity vapes get a bit tiresome. The Peppermint-Koolada serves almost as a palate cleanser.

This is what I settled on for now. I might experiment with different fruits at some point but this one works and I put it in my recipe file. Wouldn't want to do it all the time but it's definitely a good break from my other flavors.

This is a bit higher % of flavoring than I normally do, but I always found fruit needed a bit more than other flavors. I you like Koolada you could add some.

People recommend sweetener with fruit but I don’t like sweet too much. People also recommend Dragon Fruit. I tried that but I didn’t like the citrus taste.

Everything is TFA.

5% Peppermint
    3% Juicy Peach
    3% Mango
    5% Papaya
    1% Marshmallow
    2% Sweet Cream
    2% French Vanilla

I did another one with Coconut. Back when I was buying premixed I used to get some coconut juice I liked a lot, but I’ve had coconut flavoring for a while and I could never make a juice I liked with it. This one works for me though.

5% Peppermint
    7% Coconut
    2% Sweet Cream
    2% French Vanilla

MikeADore

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 26, 2016
    Tennessee
    This is what I settled on for now. I might experiment with different fruits at some point but this one works and I put it in my recipe file. Wouldn't want to do it all the time but it's definitely a good break from my other flavors.

This is a bit higher % of flavoring than I normally do, but I always found fruit needed a bit more than other flavors. I you like Koolada you could add some.

People recommend sweetener with fruit but I don’t like sweet too much. People also recommend Dragon Fruit. I tried that but I didn’t like the citrus taste.

Everything is TFA.

5% Peppermint
    3% Juicy Peach
    3% Mango
    5% Papaya
    1% Marshmallow
    2% Sweet Cream
    2% French Vanilla

I did another one with Coconut. Back when I was buying premixed I used to get some coconut juice I liked a lot, but I’ve had coconut flavoring for a while and I could never make a juice I liked with it. This one works for me though.

5% Peppermint
    7% Coconut
    2% Sweet Cream
    2% French Vanilla
    Thanks so much. I'll give em a try next time I do some mixing.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Glad to see so many agree with me about OSDIY...... Just placed an order yesterday, using the ECF code for 17% off, and then placed another one this AM when I found out about their new "Succulent Strawberry" One Stop Blend.

By the way, that new Succulent Strawberry is supposed to be really great, according to Kimberly......She said their whole place smells of it for the last month, because her husband is constantly vaping IT now! Other people must really like it, too, because she said it's being bought up like crazy lately.

Mine should be here early this week. When I try it, I'll post here what I think of it.

Well, I finally made some of the Succulent Strawberry I said I'd post about once I'd made some. Kimberly suggested that for those who Tootle Puff...10% would be a good % to use. For higher watt vaping, she recommended 5%. Since I Tootle Puff, I made a 30mL bottle of my usual 60/40 at 7mg nic, with 10% of the SS. Boy...am I glad I ordered the 4oz. bottle of it! It's wonderful IMO...very smooth and definitely tastes & smells like fresh strawberries. I went through 2 little KF shorty tanks of it in about 3.5 hours last night. Vaping more of it right now!

I even discovered something very pleasant by accident, too, while vaping the 2nd tank of it. I'd popped a couple M&M's in my mouth (from the pack included in my shipment), had chewed them up, and then took a hit of the SS. WOW - It tasted identical to a chocolate dipped strawberry! :thumbs:

So, if you've been searching for a true strawberry flavor, and something ridiculously simple to make...you might want to give it a try yourself.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Well, I finally made some of the Succulent Strawberry I said I'd post about once I'd made some. Kimberly suggested that for those who Tootle Puff...10% would be a good % to use. For higher watt vaping, she recommended 5%. Since I Tootle Puff, I made a 30mL bottle of my usual 60/40 at 7mg nic, with 10% of the SS. Boy...am I glad I ordered the 4oz. bottle of it! It's wonderful IMO...very smooth and definitely tastes & smells like fresh strawberries. I went through 2 little KF shorty tanks of it in about 3.5 hours last night. Vaping more of it right now!

I even discovered something very pleasant by accident, too, while vaping the 2nd tank of it. I'd popped a couple M&M's in my mouth (from the pack included in my shipment), had chewed them up, and then took a hit of the SS. WOW - It tasted identical to a chocolate dipped strawberry! :thumbs:

So, if you've been searching for a true strawberry flavor, and something ridiculously simple to make...you might want to give it a try yourself.
    Great tip; and great review @JCinFLA!:thumbs:

I have gone through 10 different strawberry concentrates; and have yet to find anything that tastes truly "fresh" or "real" to me. I have a couple of concentrate combinations that work as an "okay" strawberry in mixed recipes, but they still swing more toward a jam/jelly/candy-type of strawberry, or even worse: strawberry Nestle Quick.

I had pretty much given up on finding a strawberry I actually like; but now you are tempting me... dang it!:-x:D

I have a side question for you. Has Kimberly ever said why they have the two different categories; OSDIY flavors, and OSDIY blends? I, for the life of me, can't discern why these require separation/differentiation; and I always seem to look in the wrong one first.:facepalm::D

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I have gone through 10 different strawberry concentrates; and have yet to find anything that tastes truly "fresh" or "real" to me. I have a couple of concentrate combinations that work as an "okay" strawberry in mixed recipes, but they still swing more toward a jam/jelly/candy-type of strawberry, or even worse: strawberry Nestle Quick.

I had pretty much given up on finding a strawberry I actually like; but now you are tempting me... dang it!:-x:D

Well, I can say that to my taste...it is exactly as Kimberly described it when I asked her what it tasted like, or what made it different from all the other strawberries I'd tried. She said this was formulated to be what her husband has been searching for, for a long time = the actual taste of a real fresh strawberry, including just a tiny identifiable hint of tartness...maybe from a bit of green. From eating more than my fair share of fresh strawberries grown in nearby Plant City for 60+ years...I know that taste very well. To me, this IS it, spot on!

It would be my pleasure to send you a sample of it, to see what you think of it, too. Just PM me your info, and I'll send it. I honestly think that this taste may be what many others have been searching for, too.

Has Kimberly ever said why they have the two different categories; OSDIY flavors, and OSDIY blends? I, for the life of me, can't discern why these require separation/differentiation; and I always seem to look in the wrong one first.

I've never asked her about that, but from what I've gathered in trying at least 13 of their OSF and OSB so far, here's my own take on the difference. One Stop Flavors (ie. the Pink Lemonade, Blue Raspberry Slush, Blueberry, the Wild Cherrylicious, the Baked Cinnamon Roll, etc.) all impart a single taste when I vape them. Even with the Baked Cinnamon Roll (which surprised me)...I can't pick out the individual tastes of the cinnamon, nor the brown sugar, nor the doughy part, etc. in it...and I've vaped a whole bunch of it! With the One Stop Blends though...when I vape them I can discern the various tastes of the components. For example - With Lucky Shot I can taste the caramel, the graham, and the cheesecakey flavor. It's the same with the Licorice Torpedoes (Good n' Plenty candies)...I get the candy coating taste on the inhale and the definite licorice taste on the exhale, and it lingers on my tongue. It's the same with the Lotta Latte, too. But again, I don't know if that's why they're in different categories, or not.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Well, I can say that to my taste...it is exactly as Kimberly described it when I asked her what it tasted like, or what made it different from all the other strawberries I'd tried. She said this was formulated to be what her husband has been searching for, for a long time = the actual taste of a real fresh strawberry, including just a tiny identifiable hint of tartness...maybe from a bit of green. From eating more than my fair share of fresh strawberries grown in nearby Plant City for 60+ years...I know that taste very well. To me, this IS it, spot on!
    I acknowledge that we all interpret flavors differently; so I promise not to hold you responsible if my horribly abused palate ends up not agreeing with yours!:laugh::D

That said, the mixes you have shared, and that I have tried, have been pretty much as you have described. So I am definitely intrigued!

And you (or Kimberly's husband) are on point describing the missing note(s) being that tart "green" nuance. I have always equated it to the core and top of the berry nearest the stem, though I could be full of baloney.:facepalm: If Succulent Strawberry has that; it may be closer to what I am looking for.

There is also something different about the aroma of fresh strawberries when compared to candies and jams. I can't put my finger on it, but the fresh always seemed quite aromatic without being perfumy. While jams, jellies, candy, Nestles, and all flavor concentrates I have tried (so far); only seem to be able to offer an artificial perfume that reminds me of the first girl I kissed way back in high school. If One Stop got that right (or at least closer); then it could even be my strawberry holy grail.
    It would be my pleasure to send you a sample of it, to see what you think of it, too. Just PM me your info, and I'll send it. I honestly think that this taste may be what many others have been searching for, too.
    That is an extremely kind, and generous, offer; I thank you very much!:thumbs: (PM to follow shortly.)
    I've never asked her about that, but from what I've gathered in trying at least 13 of their OSF and OSB so far, here's my own take on the difference. One Stop Flavors (ie. the Pink Lemonade, Blue Raspberry Slush, Blueberry, the Wild Cherrylicious, the Baked Cinnamon Roll, etc.) all impart a single taste when I vape them. Even with the Baked Cinnamon Roll (which surprised me)...I can't pick out the individual tastes of the cinnamon, nor the brown sugar, nor the doughy part, etc. in it...and I've vaped a whole bunch of it! With the One Stop Blends though...when I vape them I can discern the various tastes of the components. For example - With Lucky Shot I can taste the caramel, the graham, and the cheesecakey flavor. It's the same with the Licorice Torpedoes (Good n' Plenty candies)...I get the candy coating taste on the inhale and the definite licorice taste on the exhale, and it lingers on my tongue. It's the same with the Lotta Latte, too. But again, I don't know if that's why they're in different categories, or not.
    That sounds like a reasonable explanation; though my own personal (and much more limited) experience doesn't entirely follow suit:
    One Shot Flavors I've tried:
    --Cacti Cooler : I only get pineapple with this one; without any recognizable orange.
    --Blue Raspberry Slush: mostly just a sweet candied raspberry and no suggestion of blueberry in the equation. Also, I am missing any real sense of the cold. Not bad; but needs help.
    --Arnold Palmer: This is my favorite of the four One-Shots I have tried so far. This one I can taste, and identify, the separate iced tea, and lemonade components. This one should belong it the OSB category by your definition; and my taste perception.
    One Shot Blends I have tried:
    --Lucky Shot: This is the only blend I have tried so far. I know this is a popular flavor but it must be beyond my horribly abused taste buds. All I get is a sweet, rich, caramel. I can't detect/identify either the vanilla, or the graham cracker. To me; this would be better suited in the OSF.
    Oh well; that just goes to show how tastes are subjective!:D None will go to waste; the cooler, and the rasp. slush just need additional fortifying/re-balancing; the Lucky Shot makes a good alternative caramel component/concentrate; and the Arnold Palmer is pretty good on its own (though I do like to add a bit of TFA Green Tea on occasion;)).

As it is a OSB; do you detect layers in the Succulent Strawberry (and if so, what are they?)?

Thanks for taking your time to share your own insights; I find them quite helpful!:thumbs::D

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    There is also something different about the aroma of fresh strawberries when compared to candies and jams. I can't put my finger on it, but the fresh always seemed quite aromatic without being perfumy.

The SS has that, IMO. In fact, after I'd vaped it most of the morning, I decided to go check for the mail. As I was walking down my long driveway to the mailbox (without my mod & tank)...I could absolutely smell the aroma of fresh strawberries, as if some were growing nearby. It was on my clothing and hair from this morning, and the slight breeze had made it waft to my nose! Smelled wonderful!

As it is a OSB; do you detect layers in the Succulent Strawberry (and if so, what are they?)?

Only reason I can think of for it to be a OSB is because it's possible to distinguish the taste of the sweeter red part of the strawberry and the slight tart of some green. They're definitely both there, and it's not just a single strawberry flavor like TFA Strawberry Ripe, or TFA Strawberry, or CAP Sweet Strawberry all taste to me.

Oh, almost forgot - I agree with you about everyone's tastes being very different. I haven't wanted to try the Cacti Cooler nor the Arnold Palmer, so I can't tell how our tastes would differ with those. However, if you can't taste the components of Lucky Shot...I do really wish you could, because it's so good to me! :)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    The SS has that, IMO. In fact, after I'd vaped it most of the morning, I decided to go check for the mail. As I was walking down my long driveway to the mailbox (without my mod & tank)...I could absolutely smell the aroma of fresh strawberries, as if some were growing nearby. It was on my clothing and hair from this morning, and the slight breeze had made it waft to my nose! Smelled wonderful!
    Stop it! You're killin'me!!! You are a terrible enabler! :D:lol::lol::lol::D Between the Succulent Strawberry, and the Licorice Torpedoes, my mouth is watering. The aroma you describe, sounds exactly like what I am looking for, and what has been missing to this point.

In regards to the Licorice Torpedoes; do they have that little bit of a sassafras undertone? I have lost my interest in most candies as I have gotten older, but I still have an occasional hankering for a Good n' Plenty, or good black licorice. "Good," to me, has that sassafras undertone that other licorice flavors (like anise, absinthe, and horehound) hasn't been able to replicate. It is that slightly sweet, woody, almost bark-like note that good licorices, and even certain root beers have.. to me at least.:blush:
    Only reason I can think of for it to be a OSB is because it's possible to distinguish the taste of the sweeter red part of the strawberry and the slight tart of some green. They're definitely both there, and it's not just a single strawberry flavor like TFA Strawberry Ripe, or TFA Strawberry, or CAP Sweet Strawberry all taste to me.
    Sounding better by the second. "Complex" is seaming like a good descriptor for this one. I completely understand what you are talking about. My experience with those other strawberry concentrates have all been that "one note" result as well. That is why I have resorted to using two, or more, in any of my recipes.
    Oh, almost forgot - I agree with you about everyone's tastes being very different. I haven't wanted to try the Cacti Cooler nor the Arnold Palmer, so I can't tell how our tastes would differ with those. However, if you can't taste the components of Lucky Shot...I do really wish you could, because it's so good to me! :)
    I do find the Arnold Palmer quite good. I was west coast raised and am not a fan of southern style "sweet" teas; however, AP works for me. It has a solid lemonade component that has a balanced tartness, and even bite, and the lemon holds up well (it doesn't fade; that I've noticed). The tea component is a good robust tea flavor. The only weakness it might have, is the lemonade can become a bit to dominant for my tastes. When that happens, I just add 1-2% TFA Green Tea, and I am back in business.

As for the Lucky-Shot; I found it to be quite sweet... distractingly so. I know that it is a dessert vape, so that should not surprise me, but I tend to minimize, or eliminate altogether, most sweeteners from my own mixes. Perhaps that is part of what conceals the separate layers for me.

To be honest, it has been more than a year (July 2016) since I have experimented with Lucky Shot. I probably need to revisit it again. I previously mixed it at 8%. Does that sound excessively high, or low to you; or am I in the neighborhood?

It may just be one of those flavors that is just not for me. But, everyone else seems to think so highly of it that I can't help feeling like it is me that isn't doing something right. <sigh>:confused:

Reactions: JCinFLA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    In regards to the Licorice Torpedoes; do they have that little bit of a sassafras undertone? I have lost my interest in most candies as I have gotten older, but I still have an occasional hankering for a Good n' Plenty, or good black licorice.

I can't say that I really know how sassafras actually tastes. I've had some of the Root Beer sold at Rural King that has that in it, and it's wonderful though. To me, the LT is exactly like having a couple Good n' Plentys in your mouth and tasting the outer candy coating only. Then as you chew it, you release that wonderful tasting licorice flavor.

To be honest, it has been more than a year (July 2016) since I have experimented with Lucky Shot. I probably need to revisit it again. I previously mixed it at 8%. Does that sound excessively high, or low to you; or am I in the neighborhood?

It may just be one of those flavors that is just not for me. But, everyone else seems to think so highly of it that I can't help feeling like it is me that isn't doing something right. <sigh>

If/when I use Lucky Shot by itself, I use it at 10% in my 7mg nic DIY. When I make the combo of Lucky Shot + Lotta Latte (my main ADV for the last 1.5 years), I use LS @ 7% + LL @ 6%. IMO, based on my experience making my own and for 2 others who vape higher mg of nic...your nic mg seems to have some effect on what % to use. Those who vape higher nic mg seem to want higher flavoring %. Whether or not you're a Tootle Puffer or a high wattage vaper can also affect the % that might be better for you (according to Kimberly). TPers recommended % to use their OSF and OSB singly, is 10%. Higher wattage vapers...Kimberly suggests 5%.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I can't say that I really know how sassafras actually tastes. I've had some of the Root Beer sold at Rural King that has that in it, and it's wonderful though.
    As a young child (5 or 6 I think), my took me with her, back to Toledo for her parent's 50th wedding anniversary. While there, she took me into the woods along Lake Erie, and we collected sassafras bark, which we took back to the house and boiled into a "tea." She then cooled the tea, added sugar, and gave it to me. "This is what we drank for soda as a child" she told me. I have never seen the bark since; but I recognize the taste when it is in something, and the memory always make me smile.:)
    To me, the LT is exactly like having a couple Good n' Plentys in your mouth and tasting the outer candy coating only. Then as you chew it, you release that wonderful tasting licorice flavor.
    Okay; now you are being just plain rude(;)). I have this overwhelming urge to dash to the convenience store for a box of Good n' Plentys!:shock::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    If/when I use Lucky Shot by itself, I use it at 10% in my 7mg nic DIY. When I make the combo of Lucky Shot + Lotta Latte (my main ADV for the last 1.5 years), I use LS @ 7% + LL @ 6%. IMO, based on my experience making my own and for 2 others who vape higher mg of nic...your nic mg seems to have some effect on what % to use. Those who vape higher nic mg seem to want higher flavoring %. Whether or not you're a Tootle Puffer or a high wattage vaper can also affect the % that might be better for you (according to Kimberly). TPers recommended % to use their OSF and OSB singly, is 10%. Higher wattage vapers...Kimberly suggests 5%.
    Good info!:thumbs: I have been changing the way I vape, and the way I mix, but I haven't considered the thought that I might also need to readjust my flavor percentages as well.:facepalm:

I have been (for the most part) a higher (0.7-0.9Ω) sub-ohm DTL vaper. Clouds were never a priority, but it was kinda fun to tinker with; but a dense lung full was key to getting me off the stinkies. So, high airflow, direct-to-lung, cooler temperatures (minimum wattage to get the coil to adequately perform) was what seemed to work best.

Over the past few months, my tinnitus has been acting up more than normal. I stumbled across a couple of threads that suggested PG might be linked to tinnitus; so I started maxing out my recipes to VG. The ringing got a little better; but I started getting a heaviness in the chest, and a cough I didn't care for. So I continued to play with my ratios and it appears that a 35P/65V to 30P/60V ratio is my sweet spot for my VG tolerance. Sadly; that doesn't help my tinnitus.

So then I thought I would try and reduce the overall volume of juice I was vaping each day (about 10-15mL/day). So I bumped my nic, from 4-6mg/mL, to 18mg/mL; and my consumption has gone down to 3-5mL per day. I have also gone back to winding my coils with simple smaller gauged wire (28-29ga. kanthol) to achieve 1+ ohm builds, and thereby lower temp (and vapor production) even further.

The one part I have yet to try implementing is moving over to a true MTL tank. I am doing my research for flavor centric tanks, and waiting for the budget to allow the expenditure.

Through all of this change I have never thought about the fact that I might need to adjust my recipes. Fortunately; I am now vaping unflavored the majority of the time, and flavors are my evening-time "treat." I will keep flavor strength in mind going forward.

JC, you are indeed, a fountain of knowledge! Thanks for sharing!:D:thumbs:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I also wanted to apologize to everyone following this thread; for yanking this conversation so far:offtopic:. I should have pursued my OSDIY questions in its own thread.:(:blush:

To try and make up a bit for my thoughtlessness; lets see if I can stir up a little TFA conversation.

I see on their website, that they have a lot of new flavors listed. I know some of these (most even?) are reformulations to try and remove the alcohol from existing flavor profiles; but have they changed any/much? I haven't had the need, or opportunity, to try any, and I am curious what others think.

Here's the link to their "New Flavors."

I will now shut up and hope it returns to its regularly scheduled topic.:D:laugh::laugh::D

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Joel, I truly enjoy hearing about all brands of flavors. I know this is a tfa thread but I've learned a lot about different brands on this thread. Only problem is that now I'm going to have to order some of that strawberry to try.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread