The general dislike of BLU

Status
Not open for further replies.

presidentk1

May 27, 2013
USA
My problem with blu is as follows:

1. Price

A 510 cig-a-like kit shouldnt cost that much, especially when considering the fact that you can get an something like an evic for the same price.

2 . Focus

... is up with that "social" feature. Their priorty should be improving the quality of their vape, not gimmicky features like that

3 . Misrepresentation

A 510 carto is not equal to a pack and a half of smokes. This is a flat out lie. Also, quality control is in the tank, a lot of their prefilled cartos are duds

I too had ordered a blu kit as soon as I decided to dive into vaping, then I found out about this forum and realized I had made a horrible mistake. To make matters worse, you can no longer return things with blu, all sales are now final. However, I got lucky in that I found this forum before the kit arrived in the mail (thanks to their super slow shipping) and was able to refuse the package and get a refund.

I applaud their marketing efforts and the fact that they have achieved a status such that you can vape a blu in public and not get strange looks as opposed to a mod. But they really need to either improve their product or lower their prices.

dtweedieiii

Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Richmond, VA
I am in the same boat as you. However, I was a heavy smoker which paved the path to me indulging in vaping more than usual. I've done research and this is what I found very condensed:

1. Get a good battery. The blu's probably have like 150mAH (mine feels like 20mAH lol) EDIT: forgot to say, try to get like a 650-1100mAH battery for max vapage :D

2. Get a good juice holder/thing. There are atomizers (you drip 3-4 drops and when it's finished you drip it more...kinda inconvenient but considered purest of all vapes) There are the cartomizers (blue's cartridge things sort of...you fill in the sides with juice which is soaked by some material be it mesh/polyfil/adamnteabag etc) And finally there are clearomizers where you have a "tank" which you fill up and you have enough juice within it to smoke (averagely) for a day or two. Really Nice.

3. Don't overspend......at first. Make sure this is something you're going to want to continue, not just use to quit nicotine all together... I bought myself an eGo TWIST which is a consumer and price friendly VARIABLE VOLTAGE (VV) which means you can adjust the 'power' it puts out to produce more/less vapor, stronger/weaker taste, hard/soft throat hit...

4. You will overspend.
If you're like me you're a broke college kid, which you probably aren't and that initial 140ish is like a punt in the Wet Nuts (apparently a great flavor reviewed by PBusardo).

Enjoy it, it's a world of its own. :)

I have never (and with what I've read on this forum, probably will never) tried Blu, but I must say their commercial was one big factor which sparked (woo for puns!) my interest in vaping. Combine that type of "cool image" marketing with a public service type of commercial about vaping & I think that would really grab people's attention & educate them.

smgrundy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
www.vaporality.com
I would agree with most others who have already responded in that whatever works for you IS the best solution. It's very easy to get caught up in the "gadget" aspect of all of the different and cool looking PV's/Tanks/systems that are out there, but the bottom line is that if you find a solution that works for you...stick with it. If you get tired of it after some time, then do some research, and take the next step.

For me, the biggest issue with BLU is battery life. I have the same issue with any of the cig-style batteries, not just BLU. Quite honestly, if the battery life was better, I probably would carry some with me just simply because they are so easy to carry....but the battery life just doesn't work for me.

Some of the ego style batteries may be a better choice down the road IF battery life becomes a concern for you. One that I REALLY love, but is unfortunately WAY overpriced for what it is is the VaporZeus from Vapor4Life. It's more of a cigar style mod with an oversized cartomizer. Easy to carry, good battery life and pushes 5 volts! Only downside is that the price is near insulting imo. But I bought one anyway because for being on the go it just does the trick for me....

If I'm going anywhere for extended periods, however, I bring my ProVari of course :D

Congratulations on making the move, welcome to the forum and good luck!

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
Hi guys I'm a new vaper who didnt know about this forum and all its great info before I bought my BLU premium started kit. That being said most of the gripes are that the batteries dont last long and the prefilled cartos are expensive. I am not an all day vaper (mostly at night after work) I find with the 2 batteries I always have one charged. They give good vaper, and I have found a good way to clean and re-fill the used cartos. I spent 70.00 for the kit, so I don't want to be so fast to kick it to the curb for something else. what do you guys think?

Hello, toddbrennan . . . Welcome to the ECF boards.

I used the Blu disposables in combination with a Blu PCC kit for about a month's time prior to giving it away. Since then, I have made quite a few jumps up the Vaping chain scheme of things. Having said that, If I had known about ECF prior, I would have purchased my Joyetech Ego-C Twist, for starters. I still have them in reserve as one of my back-up platforms, today.

Although the Blu line up made it possible for me to quit smoking on the first first day, I soon lost interest in using them. Thank goodness for this ECF community. ECF saved me from falling back to the analogs. Personally, the batteries did not last very long and the store and on-line purchased carts were very inconsistent, to say the less.

At the end of the end, Blu did make it possible for me to be smoke free, which I am quite thankful for.

- Andy

Ref Minor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
UK
I know people who have used Greensmoke for over a year, they make a decent cigarette replacement, they work simply with no hassle, no re wicking, cleaning etc.

They are simple, hassle free, and they do a job reliably, for the vast majority of people (excluding posters here) that is what they want from a product. After all how often did they need to soak a cigarette filter in alcohol, or stuff it with wadding to be able to smoke.

They are cheaper than smoking, flavour gone? Screw on a new cart, job done.

Cig a likes are the future, driven by mass consumption. The posts here are the equivalent of the type of person who builds their own PC and tells everyone they need to upgrade their graphics card because theirs pumps out extra pixels, when in reality most people just want o browse the Internet.

If you are happy with Blu's, enjoy your vaping.

evolv3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Orlando, FL, USA
I like the marketing used in that link to their site about "90%"....

Like those pictures being used are not targeting teens/young adults..... (fake mos def, usher, and Britney ??) I thought that wasn't allowed? I guess its not tobacco so...

Oh well....I wish I could get my hands on the juice they put in those natural tobacco disposables. Tastes pretty good...would work much better in diff device. Tried the other JC stuff...doesn't come close.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hi guys I'm a new vaper who didnt know about this forum and all its great info before I bought my BLU premium started kit. That being said most of the gripes are that the batteries dont last long and the prefilled cartos are expensive. I am not an all day vaper (mostly at night after work) I find with the 2 batteries I always have one charged. They give good vaper, and I have found a good way to clean and re-fill the used cartos. I spent 70.00 for the kit, so I don't want to be so fast to kick it to the curb for something else. what do you guys think?

I don't see the problem with any e-cig product if it works and suits the user.
Thankfully, Blu are not "on my radar" in the UK. If they were, I might be more (or less) fussed about them.

If you can find a way to enjoy them without over-spending and keep off the smokes, that's cool. :)

Some folks in the UK think one of our brands that charges $30 for 5 cartos is OK because it's cheaper than cigarettes. Given that ALL the other UK brands charge $15 and don't claim to do 40-cigarettes-worth and 40-worth of nicotine (never in a million years) I try to stop people using the "wrong" brand. Mostly, I am pro mini-look-a-like e-cigs....why not. As long as you get your money's worth and your health. :)

Mrtrucker40108

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Brandenburg, KY, USA
Naive...read what Blu is saying in their own memo..."90% of e-cigarette brands are exact replicas of each other – made in China, and rebranded by different importers. The liquid inhalant is made in mass quantities with no regulations or consistency from batch to batch. These companies are not concerned with consumer safety; they see only the money-making potential in this time of import freedom and little to no restrictions on the category. Thankfully, these 90% will disappear in the coming months"

How do they know this? Could it be they've lobbied, i.e., bribed FDA officials?

What Retailers NEED to know about electronic cigarettes | Blucigs.com

Calling someone a naive for not agreeing with your point? Really?

As for 90% disappearing in the coming months. Have you heard about the FDA's impending regulation? They actually announced it last year. I think it's a pretty established fact that Vaperz by Joe, Mad Murdoch, etc will not be able to pay for the fees, license, inspections, etc.
Having said that, that memo isn't aimed at momandpop vapor shop... Blu isn't competing with them. Blu competes with Mistic, Njoy, and the like. Your never going to be able to walk in any Wal-Mart and buy Alien Visions..and that is exactly the level of business the memo is aimed at.

I suppose by knowing it's coming everyone that has followed the issue has bribed someone?

BostLabs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ. USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread